Starting Over

Options
timeasterday
timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
Well I'm back into the C25K program after taking 5 weeks off due to tendonitis (PTT). Going to take it slow and follow the program from day 1 and not push it. Last time I did this I started in December, skipped weeks 1 & 2 and was up to running 5K in 4 weeks. That's when the pain started but I kept running to be ready for a race back in mid-January. I ran the race and immediately stopped running. It took 2 weeks for most of the pain to go away while I iced it every day, then it was just pain when going down stairs. After 4 weeks there was no pain at all, unless I did something stupid like trying to do P90X Plyometrics (which I did - once). During my time off from running I started P90X, worked out on our elliptical, and bought a mountain bike to keep fit. My legs feel even stronger now. I'll continue P90X and biking while working in my 3 runs a week.

This week I have ran twice, just doing those short 60 second run intervals from week 1. The leg feels good and I am working on increasing my cadence (which also shortens my stride). I'm going to sign up for the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th - which is a 10k. I should have plenty of time to get ready and my 5k time from January will get me in the 4th starting wave. Can't imagine racing with 60,000 people but it should be interesting!

-Tim

Replies

• tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's great that you were stay active during your "off time."

I am also restarting C25k since taking time off due to injury. I had a tibial stress fracture, so my activity was extremely limited.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Good luck! It's great that you were stay active during your "off time."

I am also restarting C25k since taking time off due to injury. I had a tibial stress fracture, so my activity was extremely limited.

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your injury. I thought I had a stress fracture at first but it turned out to be posterior tibial tendonitis. Good luck to you getting back into it!
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm on my way to a 5k now as well. Day one for me!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I twisted my ankle about a month ago and am just getting back into the program (with an ankle brace). I left off on week 6 and tried to jump back into it, but my body was not having it, so it looks like I'm going to be backtracking at least a couple of weeks to get back to where I was.

Good luck to you! I hope your recovery goes well and you're able to complete your race without any problems!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm doing some reading and I'm learning that staying uninjured is a much bigger challenge than getting faster :(

Take care of yourself and I just might bump into you at the Peachtree.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm doing some reading and I'm learning that staying uninjured is a much bigger challenge than getting faster :(

Take care of yourself and I just might bump into you at the Peachtree.

Yep - I heard 60% of runners get injured every year so the odds are against us. My wife & I just registered for the Peachtree last night so I am committed now. We'll be in start wave D. I'm glad to be starting early since it will definitely get hot quickly.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm still toying with the idea of doing a 10k. I need to make a commitment soon, though.