The Preconception Diet

Options
I found this very interesting, as I am trying to lose weight in preparation for pregnancy. It's why I was so concerned about my nutritional levels, and asked for the Vit D tests and such.

http://butterbeliever.com/preconception-diet/

I already do well on the eggs and dairy, but I have to work on getting my greens uptake in. One thing I've noticed about some pregnancies and births is the use of the Vitamin K shot. What happens if you actually have enough Vit K? I think a lot of women could do with knowing where their nutrients come from, and work to improve their eating habits to include these. And folate? I eat avocados for their folate. In fact, I've gotten quite tired of going round in circles trying to tell my husband that folic acid is the synthetic version of folate, the naturally occurring substance. I dunno why he doesn't get it.

If having plenty of stores of nutrients in your body means preventing anencephaly and neural tube deformations, and even morning sickness, why wouldn't you try to eat the best you can?

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I''ve been studying this too. Trying to figure out how to get enough nutrition from food to make up for what pre-natal vitamins are supposed to do. Also trying to get preggo...
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Vit K is just for blood clotting. You bleed so much after delivery, that your body can use the extra help so as not to Hemorrhage. It's probably the only worthwhile shot given during childbirth.
  • sparky38351
    Options
    I find this really interesting! I wonder how many doctors/husbands would be supportive of us wanting to skip the prenatal vitamins tho?