Help!!!!

Options
I am so frustrated and really need some advice. I've never been so dedicated to a diet/workout, but I'm seeing no results. I don't honestly know what to fix. My diet is good, I've cut out all sugar, soda, and processed foods, eating lots of fruits and veggies, drinking more then the suggested 64 oz of water a day (plus taking a water pill so I don't retain it) and I'm well under my calorie limit, I stay anywhere from 900-1200 every day. And I am also doing 60 minutes on my elliptical every day, the weight should be coming off! But the scales won't budge :( only think I can think of is maybe my body is in starvation mode? I'm afraid to add more calories at this point though. Any advice??

Replies

• greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would increase your calories. You should never be below 1200 calories a day from what I have read. Also I would do away with the water pill and let your body naturally balance itself out.
    I have more weight to lose than you do, but staying right at my calorie allowance (I have my settings for a 1 lb loss a week which is what you need to have yours set on based on the little bit you need to lose) and sometimes I eat back part of my exercise calories! I even have bad days where I even go over the 500 a day deficit. Even with all of this, I lose at least a lb a week!
    In short, do away with the water pill and make sure your calories are at least at the 1200 calorie point. You should be eating your allowance for calories though not shorting them too much (probably not any with the amount of exercise you do), and make sure your settings are at 1 lb per week so the calorie range is correct.
    It sounds like your food choices and exercising are good though.
    This is just a thought. Maybe try it for a couple of weeks and see if it works better for the weight loss!
  • jgrodzicki
    Options
    I'd say you definitely need to increase your calories. Are you nursing at all? If you are only eating 900-1200 calories per day, then that means you aren't eating your exercise calories either. Your body just is not getting the fuel it needs. I would definitely not eat below 1200 calories, and I would eat your exercise calories on top of the 1200. That's my opinion though... :flowerforyou:
  • Aidensmommy2010
    Aidensmommy2010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys! I'm gonna try to increase my calories and see what happens. I'm not nursing, and I'm not eating back my exercise calories either since I work out late at night when my babies go to bed. It doesn't really makes sense to me that in order to lose I need to eat more, but I guess that could be because my body is storing fat instead of burning it? I'm kind of new to all this :) hopefully if I keep my calories above 1200 and keep doing my workout every day I'll start seeing a difference. I do have a deadline for my weight loss (my friends wedding) so hopefully I can do it! Thanks again!
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds pretty low. Everyone is different, I think, but that sounds super low. I know that some days I'm just not that hungry (I've also cut out sugar and grains and I feel sated eating meat and veg most of the time). But I will also have low energy those days.

After my son I lost my first 20 lbs eating between 1500-1700 a day. I still ate healthfully and didn't go crazy on the exercise and it came off in a couple month. I'd focus on eating healthy fats and veggies and see how you feel. 1200 is really low unless you are teeny and do not move at all.
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    Also you will have better results if you mix up your exercise. One day on the treadmill slow and steady, the next do intervals, the next go to a yoga class or do a DVD. Your body is an efficient machine and will adapt (conseve energy) if you are doing the same old same old every day.

Contrary to the prevalent thinking you do NOT need to slog an hour a day on a treadmill to get in shape. It's probably actually holding you back at this point.
  • jgrodzicki
    Options
    That was my next question... what are you doing for exercise? And about how many calories do you think you burn each day? I am a believer in making small changes and see how they effect everything. So I'd start with eating 1200 (minimum)... but if you know you burn on average around say 200 calories per day, I'd try eating back half of those during the day as well. Which hypothetically would put you at 1300 calories... It's all a game of trial and error, but you WILL get it :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? I know this can be frustrating - it's hard work, especially when you're hungry all the time like you probably are.

I'd eat your minimum suggested calories + any calories you burn off and focus on exercising. Once you build some muscle, your metabolism will rev up (muscle burns fat even while resting) so it will be easier to lose weight and keep it off long-term. Also, you'll look and feel better no matter what you weigh.
  • anmafuller
    anmafuller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I am in the same boat! I am trying to eat healthy - 1200 calories a day and trying to eat towards the food pyramid - you know, all the food groups. I am doing cardio - last week I walked 26 miles, did one tae-bo workout, and one dance workout. I am so frustrated, my scale won't budge and it's been 3 weeks. I'm sure I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, but I don't see a big change in the way my clothes fit. Today I took my measurements to see if I'm slimming down and just not noticing it, but argh! Move, scale, move!!

So, to change it up, and try to break out of this plateau, I'm going to scale down my carbs and eat more protein this week - I am not a fan of this, because I don't think it's sustainable or incredibly healthy on a long term basis - but it may help kick start some weight loss.

I'm going to change out my 5 mile walk/runs for tae-bo on 2 additional days this week.

I'm going to remember to take my multi-vitamin.

Maybe these things will work for you too. Any additional advice from the other ladies out there?
  • cassig13
    cassig13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements maybe you are losing inches and gaining muscle.
  • herlysgirly
    herlysgirly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would definitely increase your calories. Check out the "In place of a road map" stuff on here to help you figure out a good calorie goal for your body & activity level. I lost 20 lbs within the first month after having my son - by doing nothing special. The last ten pounds stayed on. I got on here when he was 5.5 months, and I started eating more calories and lost 5 pounds in just two weeks!
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Probably saying what's already been said - but you are putting your body in starvation mode when you eat so few calories so it's refusing to lose weight.
    Honestly most people need to eat more than 1200 to lose weight (generally a woman can get away with 1400 - 1600 and still lose 1/2 - 1 lb a week).
    I would try eating in that range for a few weeks and eating your exercise calories back and see what happens. You might initally see a gain because your body will want to hold onto all the calories after being deprived - that's why you should give it at least 2 weeks if not a month.