bizarre hunting stories...

Options
Everyone has them. So the stories that my boyfriend told me about hunt camp this year are....

A friend of ours found a dead buck in a tree. At first he assumed a hunter put it there after shooting it in order to find it easily when he came back for it. However, this deer was not shot. The tree it was in was on a very steep hill side & it was hanging upside down by the front leg that was wedged in a branch. The leg was broken, the deer had made a "snow angel" in the dirt with his hind legs that were just barely touching the ground & had dug a large hole in the ground with it's antlers as it hung there. Apparently the deer had jumped or been spooked & somehow ended up stuck in that damn tree until he died.

My boyfriend's 13 year old nephew who is mostly a quiet kid & isn't very social, told the entire camp full of older men, uncles, grandfather, friends, etc. that he was sitting quietly in the woods the day before the season opener, just scouting a spot, when a small buck, (spike) walked right up next to him, not noticing he was there. He actually reached his hand out and touched it before it spooked. Some of the guys thought he was making up the story, but it would just be very unlikey for this particular kid to make that up. He is shy & barely talks to anyone. It seems as though something like that would really have to happen for him to work up enough nerve to tell that kind of story.

So the next day, opening day of buck, a spike was spotted in an area with a few other buck. After a series of strategic moves, a buck went this way, one went that way, etc, etc. The guys communicated via walkie talkies & were able to take down 3 buck within an hour or two all in this general area. As all of this movement & shooting was going on, this spike never moved from his original place. One buck was shot at & killed right over his head on a hill side. Could this have been the same spike from the day before? Wondering what could've been wrong with him.

One of the guys from hunt camp says he actually saw a doe sit on her rear end like a dog...No one knows if this is a tall tale or what. I don't know anyone who has ever seen such a thing & didn't even know they could do that. Anyone ever see such a thing?

These are just a few odd ball stories that came home from camp this year. Every year there are stories, some good, some bad. Anyone want to share some hunt stories?

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My friend s hunting buddy I've never met....anyway, he was sitting in a tree stand hunting black bear and a black bear was behind him on the ground and before he knew it the bear was climbing the tree and actually used the guy as a crutch to get up the tree to the top!! Then after a little while it climbed down.

My friend was telling me that his buddy has claw scars running down the front of one shoulder and chest. He basically climbed out of the trees stand, back to camp, and straight to the hospital.

Not sure how true or embellished the story is but crazy story anyway!
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    My boyfriend was sitting in some downed pine branches deer hunting. He was eating a PB&J sandwich. He watched as a black bear came walking up the hill straight toward him. He thought he was going to walk right past him, about 5 feet away. Just as the bear got right beside him, his nose went up & his head turned right in his direction, apparently he got a sniff of the sandwich. The bear then began to crash in thru the down tree branches right at him, wanting to steal his sandwich, not really aware that my boyfriend was in there. So, my boyfriend, not really knowing what to do, just simply snorted at the bear. At this point, they were only 2 or 3 feet away from each other. The bear froze, realizing there was a person in there & then took off running.
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    My boyfriend was sitting in some downed pine branches deer hunting. He was eating a PB&J sandwich. He watched as a black bear came walking up the hill straight toward him. He thought he was going to walk right past him, about 5 feet away. Just as the bear got right beside him, his nose went up & his head turned right in his direction, apparently he got a sniff of the sandwich. The bear then began to crash in thru the down tree branches right at him, wanting to steal his sandwich, not really aware that my boyfriend was in there. So, my boyfriend, not really knowing what to do, just simply snorted at the bear. At this point, they were only 2 or 3 feet away from each other. The bear froze, realizing there was a person in there & then took off running.

Hahahahahahahahahah that s awesome!!!!!
  • sodbuster
    sodbuster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The most embarrassing hunting trip" I was walking on a deer trail going to my favorite hunting spot along a little creek when I felt a overwhelming sensation that I had to go to the bathroom. I seen a large tree laying on the ground so I pulled my pants down sat on the tree with my butt hanging over the other side and did my business. After I finished and got dressed I hear a LOUD laughing. I looked up and there is a guy sitting in a tree stand not 20' away. I was so embarrassed i took off in the same direction i had just came and never went back to that spot the rest of the season.:blushing:
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Another story like.....[My boyfriend's 13 year old nephew who is mostly a quiet kid & isn't very social, told the entire camp full of older men, uncles, grandfather, friends, etc. that he was sitting quietly in the woods the day before the season opener, just scouting a spot, when a small buck, (spike) walked right up next to him, not noticing he was there. He actually reached his hand out and touched it before it spooked. Some of the guys thought he was making up the story, but it would just be very unlikey for this particular kid to make that up. He is shy & barely talks to anyone. It seems as though something like that would really have to happen for him to work up enough nerve to tell that kind of story.)

____ - I have photographs of my dad petting a small spike. I wondered up and some of the kids tossed it some bread, before we knew it, it came closer & closer... Dad eased toward it, it didn't run. Dad reached out and scratched his neck. The little guy seemed to want to play with the kids. NO... we didn't let them "play" without an adult next to them... (Hooves and antlers can inflict much damage to humans.) I share this to say... the 13 yr old could 100% be telling the truth.
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    That is awesome CarrieBeard