Top 50 Beers in the US

Options
Siekobilly
Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
I just got a list of the top 50 beers in the US for 2011 or 2012 (not sure which). I can say I've had four of them, and I know I've had at least a few more just don't remember what I thought. Anyhoo...I'm going to start going down this list, and my goal this year is to finish it!

Replies

• littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You should share the list so we can check them off, too! :)
  • Siekobilly
    Options
    Good call. I meant to come back and add the link, but forgot >.< I added it to the first post.

ETA: Lame. I forgot MFP uses the external IP to determine whether or not you can edit a post instead of the login, and I made the OP while at work. Here's the list; http://blog.seattlepi.com/washingtonbeerblog/2012/06/27/the-50-best-beers-in-america-pliny-tops-the-list/
  • Siekobilly
    Options
    Unfortunately the ABV is too high on Russian River's beers for Georgia...stupid southern state.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've had 27 of those! :drinker:

I don't tend to like stouts or porters, but since my taste fits so much of the list, maybe the stouts and porters on it are good places to explore. Thanks for posting!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Great list. There's so many lists out there though. I like to use a combination of two sites to find what the general consensus is on top brews out there. Rate Beer and Beer Advocate.

For instance for just American brews... I look to these two lists:
    http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2012.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2012&file=usa_beer_2012.csv

and

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/us

This year I'm going to try to tick these off. Next year I might try a few world wide lists.

CHEERS!!

EDIT... I really would like to try Heady Topper. I keep hearing how good it is. I'm afraid, however, that it won't live up to how I have built it up in my head. Still need to taste it though. ;-)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I've only 16 of those, what a disappointment. But I've seen many of them at my local beer store, so I'm sure I can get some of these knocked off my list this year!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Good call. I meant to come back and add the link, but forgot >.< I added it to the first post.

ETA: Lame. I forgot MFP uses the external IP to determine whether or not you can edit a post instead of the login, and I made the OP while at work. Here's the list; http://blog.seattlepi.com/washingtonbeerblog/2012/06/27/the-50-best-beers-in-america-pliny-tops-the-list/

I've had 24 of the beers on that list and I'm questioning the taste of the people who decided some of those should be in the top 100 much less the top 50 (Fat Tire? Really?).

Only had 3 from the BA list.

Only 7 from the RB list.
  • Siekobilly
    Options
    I've had 24 of the beers on that list and I'm questioning the taste of the people who decided some of those should be in the top 100 much less the top 50 (Fat Tire? Really?).

Only 7 from the RB list.
    Fat Tire is an excellent Amber, but yea I have no idea what the demographics of their polling was, which is why after I finish this list I'll move onto another. As BigDog pointed out there are a lot of lists out there. This will probably be the hardest list for me, as I'm not big on Pales, and this list is full of 'em.
  • Siekobilly
    Options
    Photobucket doesn't want to cooperate at all...
  • bonemuse12
    bonemuse12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm at 37 on that list. I am a huge fan of stouts and barleywines, so that list looked absolutely ridiculous to me in terms of "best." Also, I'm sure distribution has a large influence on an article in Seattle. A lot of good beers don't make it out west... (and a lot of good beer doesn't make it to here in the Midwest..) I'm much more closely aligned with the top 250 on Beer Advocate.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Only 7 from the RB list.

Yeah that initial list of 50 is pretty pointless. It's just some list made up by voters in one part of the country. Which means that most/all of the beers are standard, easy to find beers in that corner of the country.

Something like this is much better, IMO: http://beeradvocate.com/lists/fame

The BA Beers of Fame list. It lists the highest rated beers around the world that have AT LEAST 2000 reviews and have been around for over 2 years which means they are reasonably obtainable.

For the record, I've reviewed 83 out of 100 of them ;)
  • carapline
    carapline Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For living in a state with pretty crappy distribution.....I think I've had at least 15 of those off that list. When you get to the lists on Rate Beer and such, um, yeah. If I've had 5 in the top 50 I'm lucky. haha.
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've had 41 of those with a few (like DFH 120 minutes) in the cellar. That list is rather west-coast biased. I've had 12 from the ratebeer top 50 - most of those are rare or expensive. I focus on drinking on as many beers from my home state (Wisconsin) and the best beer state (Michigan) as I can.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh, I think I have a problem. 42 with 3 I'm not sures.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YUM! SUPER LIST!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've had 22, not too bad. Some of those such as Bell I've never seen distributed down here (only knew they existed from some of y'all). I need to take a beer trip...
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Great list. There's so many lists out there though. I like to use a combination of two sites to find what the general consensus is on top brews out there. Rate Beer and Beer Advocate.

For instance for just American brews... I look to these two lists:
    http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2012.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2012&file=usa_beer_2012.csv

and

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/us

This year I'm going to try to tick these off. Next year I might try a few world wide lists.

CHEERS!!

EDIT... I really would like to try Heady Topper. I keep hearing how good it is. I'm afraid, however, that it won't live up to how I have built it up in my head. Still need to taste it though. ;-)

I have a Heady Topper sitting in my fridge. Holding it for a buddy but the *kitten* won't come get it... You want? :)
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm at 37 on that list. I am a huge fan of stouts and barleywines, so that list looked absolutely ridiculous to me in terms of "best." Also, I'm sure distribution has a large influence on an article in Seattle. A lot of good beers don't make it out west... (and a lot of good beer doesn't make it to here in the Midwest..) I'm much more closely aligned with the top 250 on Beer Advocate.

Seriously here in the Northwest we have some of the best breweries around. Check out anything from Caldera in Oregon, Skookum in Arlington, WA, and there are many many many more breweries that produce high quality of beer up and down the west coast!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a Heady Topper sitting in my fridge. Holding it for a buddy but the *kitten* won't come get it... You want? :)

If your *kitten* buddy never shows up I would love to take it off your hands. Let me know what from the West Michigan area you would like to try and I'll trade ya.