Where to get Hydrogen Breath Testing for Fructose

Options
I started the process of testing foods on the Low FODMAP diet after being in elimination phase. I started with fructose, testing with a teaspoon of honey in my tea and eating the same low FODMAP diet I've been on and feeling tremendous relief from symptoms. Within the hour I was extremely nauseous with stomach cramps and just feeling miserable. By the afternoon I was completely bloated again as I was prior to starting the elimination diet.

Should I test for fructose malabsorption/intolerance with a Hydrogen Breath Test? If so, does anyone know of a reputable lab in the states? Or can I go to my GI or GP and trust they know what I'm talking about? Or was my honey test a positive for issues with fructose? Does anyone have fructose intolerance/malabsorption and if so what are your symptoms? Does that mean I should skip testing the fructans (gluten, onions, and beans)?

Please help!

Replies

• cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    Anybody???:frown:
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor should know.what you are talking about. I know they test for lactose the same way as fructose. But, I also think that you may have your answer already. Fructose + you = :explode: lol! You might try the honey or another source another time or two to be sure though.

I'm 8 days into the elimination phase, still having some symptoms.
    Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • mgregoireMFP1
    mgregoireMFP1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar with honey? Put it in hot water like tea (or with tea). It is amazingly soothing.
    And yes any GI worth salt will give the hydrogen test. Mine was positive and they gave me an antibiotic which helped... for about 1 month. Then it all came back.
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    Had no idea you guys had responded-Thanks so much! I have not found a GI in my area that has any idea what I'm talking about-but, I feel so much better staying away from fructose sources. I will just self diagnose this as fructose intolerance. Thanks for responding!