Memorial Day Low Carber Weight Loss Challenge -Week 2

Options
Week 2 runs from 3/3 to 3/9.

Anyone is welcome to join the challenge at any time.

This is the current list of participants:

Bakkasan
BethieRose = .52%
Blessedwith3 = 1%
codapea = .22%
cominupmilhouse
ctopherSmith = 3.21%
doneatfour = .17%
EricCowperthw
fluffy925
geniepooh
HappySugarFree
Helenabc = .63%
Kpierce169
Lenorepyett
MamaDee2
msandwich = 2.79%
msshiraz
Rachel1913
Sasmin40
Sherman7057
slarobinson
smithntuck
Strawmama = .85%
tarakay84
Triplemom423

Formula for figuring %
1. starting weight - current weight
2. divide weight lost by starting weight
3. Mutliply by 100

I know that some of us weigh multiple times a week so your first weight that you post this week will be the one that I use for the weekly results.

Let's have fun!

Replies

• ctopherSmith
    ctopherSmith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Can you please add me to the list of participants. I put my starting weight in the first thread (289.5), I can't wait to post Mondays results, It's been a big week. I know that when first starting I'm losing a lot of water weight but I can't help smile about it... :)
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    So sorry I missed adding you! You are on now. I am looking forward to seeing your weekly results!!!

Water loss counts so don't sell it short!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Today's my usual weigh in day, but I think I'll start sending my weight in on Mondays since thats when i sent my starting weight? We went to a buffet last night...:wink:
  • msandwich
    msandwich Posts: 21
    Options
    299.8! Back into the 200's. Boo yeah. 8 lbs lost since last Monday.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Bravo msandwich!!!
  • Helenabc
    Helenabc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I weighed in this morning at 71 kg / 157 pounds. A loss of one pound.
    I was glad of a loss because I had a challenging work (don't you always when you start something, to test your resolve ... maybe)
    I am looking forward to this week and making many good choices and only a few bad ones.

Have a good week.
    It was great to read about everyones week.
    You don't feel alone in it.

Helen
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Nicely done Helenabc! 100% agreement about reading how everyone's week is going. It inspires me. Now, if only people's commitment with exercise would light a fire under my *kitten* I'd be all set.
  • ctopherSmith
    Options
    Weekly weigh in... 280.2!

This first week is down 9.3 pounds! Now time to conquer week 2!
  • ctopherSmith
    Options
    And I forgot to say a big "Way to go!" to msandwich and helenabc. Great job!
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone that has reported so far, and those that haven't yet! Weight loss is a battle, so whether you go up or down, you are doing a great job!

My weigh in today is 347.5, a loss of 1.8 pounds. Not what I wanted to see on the scale this morning, but I am thankful we are moving in the right direction. :) Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone on their losses this past week!
    Me, I am down to 186. Not quite a pound, but I'll take it!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    You people are rocking!!!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    This week's mini challenge is.......

Share your favorite low carb recipe. As a low carber, I look for new recipes to keep it interesting. So this week, post your favorite recipe. Only ONE :happy:
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - shredded
    4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    1/4 cup EVOO
    2-3 Garlic Cloves - Minced
    1 Large Spanish onion-finely chopped
    1 Red bell pepper - finely chopped
    2 tomatoes - finely chopped

ADDONS:
    2 Avocados (for garnish)
    1 cup shredded cheese (garnish)
    Chopped fresh cilantro
    Sour cream

Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat; keep warm. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and the garlic and cook until chicken is nicely browned (5-6 min). Add the cooked chicken, onion, bell pepper, tomato to the stock. Return broth to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with sliced avocado, cheese, cilantro and sour cream.

Serving Size: Makes 4 servings

NOTE: I double the recipe and freeze (without the garnishes) it for quick and easy meals.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Have to drop, getting tied up in house buying stuff and it's messing up everything.

3oz cream cheese softened
    2tbsp cream
    8 eggs
    chopped chives
    1/3 cup shredded parm
    2tbsp butter

Whisk cream cheese and cream together, then add eggs and cheese, whisk
    Cook chives in butter for a few minutes then add mixture.
    Cook to your like, I like mine slightly undercooked.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! One week down. I had a pretty good week until this weekend. Then I went to a buffet and last night I ended up binging on carbs. :sad: I only netted a 0.2 lb loss as if this morning. But, at least it was something. I'm just irritated that I ended up ruining a good week...again. February was a terrible month for staying on track. I'm hoping this competition will keep me in check.

I'm not much of a cook, so I don't have any recipes to share. Usually I have what everyone else is having minus the starch. We tend to do things like baked salmon and sautéed chicken. Not much sauces, etc. I have several I want to try out though and I'm going to shamelessly steal all of yours!

By the way, how many carbs is everyone having? I aim for less than 60 total and 40-49 net. I might lower it for this competition.

Keep up the great work!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Doneatfour - you didn't blow the whole week. You didn't even blow the day. You ate a higher carb day and there is no crime in that. Drink plenty of fluid for the next couple of days and you will be right on track again.

I tend to eat 20 carbs a day. During the week I do total carbs (not net). On weekends, I may go higher and use net carbs. My carbs really only come from veggies, nuts and an occasional Atkins Enduldge bar.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Buffalo Chicken Dip with Celery

Mix together:
    10 oz. can premium chunk chicken breast, drained

4 oz. (half a package) cream cheese

3 tablespoons chunky blue cheese dressing

3 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Serve hot or cold with celery sticks.

Edited to add that I have my carbs set at 10%, which gives me 38g and I don't do net carbs. I will eat back some of my exercise calories and carbs if I spend a couple hours at the gym running and lifting, but I still don't go over 10% carbs daily.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I was down 2 pounds this week...YEAH!!!
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Serves 2; Adapted from Your Lighter Side.

ingredients:
    1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)

pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*

directions:
    To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make the Pizza Crust:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

Enjoy!

*Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.

http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html