I'm new :)

Options
atakins
atakins Posts: 32 Member
Hi, I'm Aaron!

I had a Roux En Y on 1/15/13. I've lost about 65 lbs. so far (10 lbs. on the pre-op puree diet). I joined MFP to track my calorie intake, and found a community I wasn't expecting!

Things I'm struggling with: Protein, Calories.

I'm barely ever getting over 50g of protein a day, and cannot stomach the vast majority of the protein supplements I've tried. I've already seen some awesome suggestions on this board (Protein Orange Julius!), so _thank you all so much_!

Also, I'm almost never getting to 1000 calories a day. Does anyone know if this is normal for 40 days post-op?

Replies

• sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Calorie guidlines vary from program to program. I am 6 months post RNY, up to 5 ounces of food and rarely hit 800 calories. Those are my program's guidelines.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    DId you try Unjury protein? I add some sugar free vanilla syrup. Also for the powders. it really really helps if you use a blender or magic bullet.
    The easiest for me to get down is Isopure Zero Carb. It is kind of expensize but better than the powders.
  • atakins
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll talk to my surgeon's nutritionist tomorrow, to get an official number.

I'll also go get a blender or Magic Bullet. I'm desperate enough at this point that I just bought $120 worth of assorted protein supplements to try. Hopefully I find something that works.
  • suzannefthomas
    Options
    You are one week before me surgery wise and doing 50% better than I on weight loss. I strive for 60 grams of protein and struggle to get it. I have tried multiple types of protein powders and have found Unjury the least pleasant of them. I average about 750 calories and have been at the same weight for 2 weeks. I have not been able to exercise do to problems with my rib cartilage. Just started walking at the Y today. Hope this helps to increase my weight loss.

Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    Welcome, I had my surgery on 2/18 so I'm still very new at this though. I will say I ordered a sampler box through snythax, it includes some sweets and nectars. So far they have been amazing. I was using just unjury, it was okay. But this brand have been great. I don't know if maybe you would want to order the sampler box and see what you think.
  • atakins
    Options
    Suzanne - I had a lot of trouble eating anything the first two weeks, so I lost a HUGE amount of weight right at the start. Don't envy me - it sucked really bad. I'd rather have lost slower and not gone through 2 weeks of constant nausea! I definitely started to lose more when I went back to work; like you, I can't exercise due to an ongoing problem with my left foot (that my Dr.s cannot figure out). Best of luck to you!

Cakelady - I literally just ordered a Synthax sampler yesterday. Gosh, I hope it works for me! Best of luck to you :)
  • atakins
    Options
    THANK YOU to everyone who suggested Syntrax Nectar Sweets protein powder... It's AMAZING!!
  • gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I'm new too and had surgery December 17th. Unfortunately I had severe complications so eating was extremely difficult. I can't stomach most protein powders but the Nectars are good as well as Carnation Instant Breakfast. My dietician recommended buying sugar free syrups to switch up the flavors of the shakes. I partial to Cappucino Nectar with salted caramel or white chocolate :-) As for protein (now that I eat solids) I've been eating a lot of meat ,fish, tuna salad and cheese. Cottage cheese and greek yogurt have a lot of protein too and aren't as "heavy". Nuts are a good option too if you can handle them. I'm averaging about 600 to 800 calories a day now. Hope you find things that work for you!
  • jujuskilesm
    jujuskilesm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new too! I had surgery 12/15/13 am down 55 pounds ! I have a tough time with protein too. I am only getting about 700 cal per day... try to get it with high protein fish and soft things. Looking forward to motivation!!!
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    hello and welcome to the group :smile:
  • kileybug34
    Options
    Hi I am new too. I had Lap band surgery on 2/28/13. I have lost 12 lbs so far. I like the muscle milke cytosport peach mango. I can get that in very easily, but I tried some other varieties that were just plain nasty. I wish you all success on your weight loss journey.