Favorite Lean/Green

Options
Today is day 10 and I am just looking for some ideas. Is there a l/g meal or two that you really enjoy and look forward to?

Replies

• tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    check out this website for some really good L&G meals. My favorite on this list is the meat lasagna. We were given this site by the Medifast center so they are approved for the program. I also like to do just a beef roast in the crock pot with beef broth, cabbage and mushrooms as well. I am a big fan of cabbage though so we eat a lot of it at our house.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/p/medifast-recipes-only.html
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to clean out the freezer so its mostly chicken breast over greens or tuna over greens
  • medifaster
    Options
    Hard to choose one. I love spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and super lean ground sirloin, spicy shrimp & chicken gumbo, spinach dip and crispy zucchini chips and meatball salad. :)
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza & zucchini lasagna. Too hard to choose just one!!
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good topic. The cauliflower pizza and some other recipes are just way too complicated for me. I like easy.

My favorites are:
    - Shrimp tacos - Shrimp with homemade taco seasoning (cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, lime juice - I make it up and to be honest, don't count my spice condiments) served over raw shredded green cabbage. Or with broccoli.
    - London broil with side of steamed veggies
    - Chopped salad with chicken for lunch.
    - Turkey burgers with salad

I'm definitely looking for some new ideas.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've only just started, but I think that three scrambled eggs, with 2c of chopped spinach leaves and 1/2 cup chopped peppers/mushrooms/maybe onion will be a go-to meal for me. But then, I love eggs. So nutritious, filling, and tasty! That meal at breakfast the other day kept me going for literally the entire day - the MF foods felt like extra snacks, not necessary nutrition. :-)
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've only just started, but I think that three scrambled eggs, with 2c of chopped spinach leaves and 1/2 cup chopped peppers/mushrooms/maybe onion will be a go-to meal for me. But then, I love eggs. So nutritious, filling, and tasty! That meal at breakfast the other day kept me going for literally the entire day - the MF foods felt like extra snacks, not necessary nutrition. :-)

You are a life saver. I haven't started yet, but been thinking of L and G meals. Eggs and spinach would be perfect one night when I am not feeling steak or chicken (I'm picky and don't eat any fish and rarely any pork products).

I tried mashed cauliflower tonight and it was delicious. It's going to replace my white rice with my protein.
  • chellynn1983
    Options
    Crack slaw is great if you miss that take out chinese taste it is super easy and one of my favorites, along with chicken burgers and taco bake!
  • kaitie23
    kaitie23 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers. I get mine from Central Market. I also like morning star farms tomato basil pizza burgers. For greens I normally have salad or cauliflower mashed potatoes.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This isn't perhaps the 'easiest' meal (although, it is for me, since my hubby does most of the prep, ha ha!), but I am finding that I looooove it.

I have my hubby make a couple of steaks the night before - we can never, never remember to defrost meat for anything, and even if we try, it seems it's still frozen when we need it, so I looked up online how to cook meat starting from frozen.

He takes the frozen steaks, and sears them with the blowtorch - yes, you read that right. :-) Not only does it make for a tasty steak, but my pyro-loving husband has way too much fun doing it. After they're seared, they go into a 200-degree oven for.....I think it's about an hour. I'd have to check exactly how long.

Anyhow - that makes the juiciest steak that I've ever had at home. After resting and cooling, it gets popped into the fridge, and the next morning I weigh and slice it, and take it to work for lunch. I nuke it (which takes care of any residual pinkness), and put it on a bed of lettuce, with a 1/2 c of whatever chopped veggie I'm feeling that day. Now technically, as I understand it, fully on-plan means that I'm not allowed any extra fats with that, since it's 5 oz of steak - just lean, not leanest. But I'm tracking my calories and carbs here, and for me, I feel that keeping my carbs within that 80-85 range is the most important - a few extra calories from fat is not going to mess me up. So I add 2T of low-fat/low-carb dressing to that salad - usually the Kraft zesty italian, or the Greek vinaigrette with feta and oregano. (I would probably adore simple olive oil and lemon juice with a pinch of salt, too.)

That makes the biggest, tastiest lunch. I find myself SO looking forward to it on the days I take it.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have two favorites!

One is stuffed bell peppers (made with ground turkey and cauliflower "rice").

The other is zucchini noodles with diced chicken and a peanut sauce! I use 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter (no extra sugars and as low in carbs as you can find) with enough water to give you the consistency of a thick gravy. I add a pinch of pinch of stevia and crushed red pepper for kick. Drizzle over the noodles and chicken and YUMMMMM!!!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like Chilean sea bass. Baked with lime juice and jalapeno
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a new favorite lean & green that I love so much, I had to share: zucchini "noodles" and meat sauce. I didn't strictly measure this one out for 100% compliance with 3 greens/1 lean/3 condiments but I think it's pretty close to being legal.

1. Zucchini and/or yellow squash noodles: I used my mandolin to juliene the zucchini and yellow squash. (I like using both because it's more colorful.). Get 2 greens out of this, so 1 cup or weigh it. Sautee in pan sprayed with pam until done, maybe 3-5 minutes. (I am not the biggest zucchini fan but decided I like it more than spaghetti squash. I like the texture better.)

2. The meat sauce: Cook 1 lb of the leanest ground beef you can find in a large pan. Add two links of hot italian chicken sausage. Cut off the casings of the sausage and add to the ground beef to mix and cook together. Add seasonings: onion powder, 2 fresh garlic cloves, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, fennel seeds if you have them. (This is where I'm not sure about the condiments. This makes 3 servings so you can have up to 9 condiments). Once the meat/sausage/seasonings mixture is cooked, transfer to a sauce pot, leaving any liquid fat behind (if any), and add 3 servings (1.5 cups) of strained or crushed tomatoes. Add more seasonings if you want at this point. Let simmer for ~20 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful the meat will be. Serve over cooked zucchini. 3 servings at approx 1 cup each. I approximate 1 lean, 1 green, and all my condiments.

I think I'm going to eat this every night for a long time, I like it that much.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I loooooooove zucchini noodles and I doubt I'll ever go back to regular pasta.
    Your meat sauce sounds really good!
  • edobrien
    edobrien Posts: 9
    Options
    I do chipotle chicken salads. sometimes double chicken, salsa and hot sauce, nothing else.

also found the petite steak at ruby tuesdays, i like that one too
  • dwhitmoyer
    dwhitmoyer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the Morningstar type veggie burgers, especially the santa fe burgers. Instead of eating two, I'll plop a fried (no oil or butter) egg on top. I am also eating a lot more kale lately. I was never a big fan of cooked spinach and kale is pretty tasty if you don't cook it to death. Of course, I often eat really big salads and throw some fava beans on top for the needed protein. Just have to watch the carb count with beans.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    My old stand-by is Mock Potato Soup and then I sautee scallops for the Lean and add to it for a chowder tyoe soup.
  • bdelaney001
    Options
    I like shrimp stir fry with zucchini, mushrooms and green beans. Love the frozen green beans at Trader Joe's. Saute with olive oil and season with red pepper flakes for a little kick. Quick and easy.