New Haven/Hamden

Options
LishieFruit89
LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
So I'm moving back to the New Haven/Hamden area this weekend and have to switch gyms. AGAIN.

I'm looking at Powerhouse gym in New Haven or Edge Fitness in Hamden, anyone have good or bad things to say about them?

I know there is an LA Fitness in Hamden but I'm not willing to pay for cable so I'm not willing to pay for LA Fitness.
And Planet Fitness doesn't provide the equipment I need.
I've tried North Haven Health & Racquet before - never again.

Opinions please!!

Replies

• jochoki
    Options
    I personally go to the Edge Fitness chain. They're pretty good for the value. Most of their group exercise classes are free and included with the monthly dues, which is a nice perk. Equipment seems to be decently maintained. The gym does get a bit crowded during peak hours, but if you go a little later or earlier tends to be fine.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you get a black card at PF, you would able to use different locations, which sometimes vary on the equipment they have. For instance, I found out today that there is a rowing machine at the North Haven location. I am not a PF cheerleader or anything, but I do find them convenient and cost - effective.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    If you get a black card at PF, you would able to use different locations, which sometimes vary on the equipment they have. For instance, I found out today that there is a rowing machine at the North Haven location. I am not a PF cheerleader or anything, but I do find them convenient and cost - effective.

I used to be a member of PF - in fact I went to the North Haven location.
    There are two rowing machines there btw - one with the 30 minute circuit & the other is in that other loft.
    I left PF since they don't have the equipment I want - squat rack or power rack with oly bars.
    And I'm not going to use the smith machine.
    They also don't like when you deadlift & drop weights...
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    Totally agree on the smith machines! They are the worst. I think the Amity location has a regular rack. And yes, they frown on loud noises. I like that, but to each their own.

Good luck in you search!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    It does not.
    I've been to that one as well.

I doubt any PF has a squat rack or power rack since the type of people who would use, would cause them to use the "lunk alarm" so they go elsewhere.
  • stephzub
    stephzub Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Did you check out Club 24? There is a huge facility right off exit 13? Demographic are mainly 20s and 30s.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Did you check out Club 24? There is a huge facility right off exit 13? Demographic are mainly 20s and 30s.

I'm going to be in Hamden so my local options are th Powerhouse, Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, and Edge Fitness.
    Club 24 would be a good option since I'd have to pass it to get to work but the likelihood of me using it on a weekend goes down the further away it is lol
  • jochoki
    jochoki Posts: 7
    Options
    ok, my one year promo is up with Edge. Been checking out LA Fitness. They're chain doesn't look too bad. They do have the perks of a swimming pool, sauna, and hot tub to help relax your muscles after a workout. Locations aren't as much, but for Hamden, I heard it isn't too far from the Edge. Did research into Planet Fitness, but noticed that they are just a simple gym, no classes (yoga, cycling, etc), so it doesn't interest me as much. Looks like LA Fitness can be negotiated down to $25/month, which is what my post promo rate at the Edge is...membership does give you all gym access in the state, so it's not too bad.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    Totally agree on the smith machines! They are the worst. I think the Amity location has a regular rack. And yes, they frown on loud noises. I like that, but to each their own.

Good luck in you search!

I was at Amity this morning and they definitely have a squat rack with O bar..not a smith machine. The "no lunkers" thing still applies, though. :wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Good luck in you search!

I was at Amity this morning and they definitely have a squat rack with O bar..not a smith machine. The "no lunkers" thing still applies, though. :wink:

Haha thanks for the info - that one is way on the wrong side of town for me tho! I'm also very surprised they have it.

I've got a one week free at Powerhouse and I went today - love it!
    A few pieces of equipment definitely need to be re-upholstered but besides that, I'm enjoying it
  • KeithAngilly
    Options

Good luck in you search!

Haha thanks for the info - that one is way on the wrong side of town for me tho! I'm also very surprised they have it.

I've got a one week free at Powerhouse and I went today - love it!
    A few pieces of equipment definitely need to be re-upholstered but besides that, I'm enjoying it

Cool! I am glad you found a place you like!

Good luck!