Armour Thyroid

Options
I was just curious is anyone is taking Armour Thyroid? If so is it working for you? Thanks

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was just curious is anyone is taking Armour Thyroid? If so is it working for you? Thanks

Armour isn't available in my country (Canada - different licensing) but we have something that is basically the same. I know a LOT of thyroid ladies who swear by dessicated meds - either Armour or Nature Thyroid.

Some people have a reaction to the fillers in Armour, and prefer Nature Thyroid, but it can go either way.

Are you already on it, or are you considering going on it? Have you been diagnosed hypothyroid?
  • Arais12
    Arais12 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago with hypothyroid. I've taken synthroid and it made me feel worse than just have my levels all out of whack.

I currently have been taking Armour for quite some time, but when I get my blood work done my levels are never normal or even close to normal. I know its hard to stabilize them, but I feel great and able to lose weight...unlike with synthroid.

I was just curious of other peoples experiences with taking it and if they achieved normal levels! Thanks
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Ya, for most people synthroid isn't the greatest - it only contains T4, and many people struggling to properly convert that synthetic T4 into T3.

When taking any meds that contain T3 (like Armour or Nature Thyroid) that you take your pill AFTER your morning labs, not before. Taking it before can artificially inflate your free T3 lab result, making your doctor think you need a lower dose. This can result in people being under medicated!

What labs does your doctor run? Just TSH, or also free T3 and free T4? I know lots of women who have achieved not just "normal" levels, but gotten to levels that are "optimal" for them. "Within normal range" can mean hypo still, for many people.
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I saw an article on Armour Thyroid and it sounded amazing and I had an appointment with my doctor and asked his opinion on it and he told me, that it does sound great and he was all for it, until he saw where it can strip your body of antibodies and that is something we need. He said that he won't recommend it to any of his patients, because of that.
  • honestykay
    honestykay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take the Armour. I love it. I would never go back. I have energy and feel like a person again.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I saw an article on Armour Thyroid and it sounded amazing and I had an appointment with my doctor and asked his opinion on it and he told me, that it does sound great and he was all for it, until he saw where it can strip your body of antibodies and that is something we need. He said that he won't recommend it to any of his patients, because of that.

Which antibodies is he referring to? The only antibodies I'm aware that it reduces are the "bad" antibodies that attack your thyroid - anti-TPO antibodies or thyroglobulin antibodies. You don't need those, you don't WANT those!!!
  • larmonkm
    larmonkm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    after i was diagnosed with hashi's, i went on synthroid. 2+ years of that and i finally found a doc who would prescribe armour. i was on it for a little over 2 years. my doc is excellent, and she has always gone off my symptoms and my numbers. when she noticed my t3 was going up more than she'd like, and that i was experiencing some physical side effects of possibly swinging hyper, she put me back on synthroid. i've been on that for 6 months and am feeling good.

while on the armour, i did have to do nature thyroid for a spell when my pharmacy wasn't able to get armour.

i think as long as you have a doc who is watching ALL numbers and paying attention to ALL symptoms, you stand a better chance of getting a medication that works for you.

good luck with whatever treatment you and your doc settle on. it took years to feel better. i still am not optimal, but that is due to other levels such as vitamins and hormones.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options

When taking any meds that contain T3 (like Armour or Nature Thyroid) that you take your pill AFTER your morning labs, not before. Taking it before can artificially inflate your free T3 lab result, making your doctor think you need a lower dose. This can result in people being under medicated!

aw crud! I didn't know that. Maybe that's why mine were not as great as I had hoped. Will have to remember for next round of lab work. Thanks for mentioning.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hear great things too but it didn't work for me. I tried it for a couple months but I felt like I wasn't on meds at all. Back to sleeping 18hrs a day, etc. Had to get back on the Synthroid.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Which antibodies is he referring to? The only antibodies I'm aware that it reduces are the "bad" antibodies that attack your thyroid - anti-TPO antibodies or thyroglobulin antibodies. You don't need those, you don't WANT those!!!

Agreed! Armour can initially raise your antibodies if you have Hashimoto's but that usually sorts itself out once on a high enough dose and antibodies end up lower than before (surely a good thing!). I have no idea what this doctor was talking about! Next time ask for references to research papers showing what he is claiming. I bet he doesn't have any :wink:

I have hashimoto's and am taking NatureThroid and it is working fine for me. I had a couple of flare-ups along the way but everything seems to be settling down now. I would definitely not go back to synthetic T4 - ever! I'm not quite there yet. It seems I can't tolerate much T4 but I still need to increase so I am having to add some T3 to my 4.5 grains. I am definitely so much better than on T4 only though :happy:
  • Jaycilynne
    Options
    I started on armour about 6 weeks ago. I haven't had my blood re-checked yet, so idk what my levels are, but I DEFINITELY can tell a difference from stupid Levo. I've noticed that while most of my symptoms have improved (fatigue, brain fog, confusion upon waking, aches and pains, hair loss, irritability), others have manifested, like SUPER sensitive hearing, easy bruising, headaches (possibly due to the sensitive hearing). Anyone else have any issues like this? I'm not sure why switching medications would switch some symptoms for others, but it just seems odd to me since I never had those symptoms before.... I will be going to my dr. Next week for my pregnancy check-up, and will talk to her and have my levels tested then. Just curious if anyone else experienced this...