New recipes?

Has anyone tried anything new recently that they'd like to share?

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    I made Dad's famous jalapeno poppers yesterday. it's not a new recipe, but it's a definite favorite, and usually a treat. I'll post it for ya. :)

Dad made these a few years ago, and I've been addicted ever since. My recipe is a variant, of course, but it's still pretty close to the original.

Jalapeno peppers (however many you can afford. I usually buy them 24 at a time)
    Food prep gloves
    Sharp knife
    Small spoon

Put on the food prep gloves (they'll prevent chemical burns if you're working with a lot of peppers). Slice each pepper lengthwise, leaving the stem end intact. Scoop out the seeds and white membrane inside the pepper with the spoon. Soak in some water to rinse. Make the filling.

Filling (for about 24 poppers)

1 block Philly cream cheese (or other cream cheese of choice; you can even try making your own)
    About 2 cups of shredded tasty cheddar cheese
    1 small red onion, minced

Soften the cream cheese until you can work it with a spoon. Mix in the shredded cheese and red onion until it's well incorporated. Using a small spoon, stuff each pepper with the cheese mixture, and press the halves together. Scrape away the excess that squeezes out.

(The filling can vary in a number of ways. Try combinations of different cheeses, garlic, onion, spices, herbs, or grated fresh veggies such as carrot or zucchini.)

Last but not least:

12 rashers of bacon, cut in half (for 24 poppers)
    Metal or wooden skewers, or toothpicks

Wrapped each half slice of bacon around a pepper and secure with a toothpick, or slide it onto a skewer (skewers are nice if you are grilling them on a bbq and want the ability to turn them all at once. Toothpicks are good when you are baking them in the oven, and want to serve them at a party.)

Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until the bacon is crispy and the peppers slightly charred. Serve, and prepare to be asked for the recipe. Lots of times. Also prepare for them to vanish almost instantly (a good tactic to stave this fate off is to make 3-4 poppers per person in a party, just in case.) Don't hope for leftovers.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    This Cabbage Goulash recipe is AWESOME! I made it last night and it was really, really good. Had some for lunch today too :smile:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cabbage-goulash
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    That looks awesome! I'll save that recipe, as it'd be a great winter meal.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Last weeks experiment was chocolate cake. It's based on a Whipped Cream Cake recipe I've had for a few years now. It is my most favorite recipe to use, and since I offered to make a cake for a friend's birthday on Thursday, I want to be able to have cake without it's undesirable effects. It can be made lower carb by replacing the sugar with erythritol if you so desire. So here's the recipes, the original and the altered:

The Original Whipped Cream Cake (White)

2 c cake flour, sifted
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder
    3 egg whites
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1/2 c cold water
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp almond extract

Wheat Free Whipped Cream Cake (Chocolate)

1/2 c cocoa powder
    1 1/2 c almond flour
    3 tsp arrowroot powder
    3 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 egg whites
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1/2 c cold water
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325F. Butter two 9" cake pans (or one 9" spring form pan). Dust with cocoa powder (or flour, for the wheat version).

Sift together the salt, almond flour, baking powder, arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, and set aside.

Whip the egg whites until stiff, adding 1-3 tb sugar to keep them from graining. They should be stiff, but not dry. Overwhipping the whites will make for a dry cake.

Whip the cream until stiff, and fold into the whites.

Fold in the remaining sugar.

Fold in the dry ingredients, alternately with the water, mixing well.

Add the extract(s), and mix well.

Pour into pan(s) and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool in pan(s) for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

The cake is out of the oven, so I am looking forward to seeing how it's turned out, but if I can judge anything by the bits left on the ring after I removed it, I'd say it's a success.