Pre-workout drinks?

Options
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie that started 5/3/1 in January of this year. I was wondering if any one here takes pre-workout when you lift. Any pros or cons to taking pre-workout? :drinker:

Another question for lifters doing 5/3/1 or something similar is when you guys do the heaviest set (Main lift 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1-to failure), how many reps to you usually get for the last one to failure lift?

For example, until now I have been getting 8ish, but today I only did 4 reps (I failed on the 5th). I think this is all part of my noob gains though, so I just want to know what the general experience is with this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't take any pre-work out stuff, but some people like them and some people don't. If they work for you, then awesome.

I just wanted to add that if you're still in the "newb gains" phase, 5/3/1 probably isn't the best program for you. You'll see much better and faster gains with a beginner or even intermediate program that increase the lifts more than 5 lbs a month. Try looking at the madcow 5x5 program. It increase at a pace that will really push those newb gains and help you get stronger faster.

That said, on the last lift of the heavy week at 95% of max I can usually only eeek out that one. I always attempt the 2nd, but waaaaayyyy more often than not I fail on that extra rep.
  • tdeprat
    tdeprat Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! I am not really sure if I am still having noob gains. I think I am because this is the first time I have tried the big compound body movements in a power lifting program. Here are my numbers so far:

My starting numbers for my 1 rep maxes: Bench Press: 145lbs, Squat: 205lbs, and Dead Lift: 230lbs.

Here are my current numbers after 5 weeks: Bench Press: 175lbs, Squat: 215lbs, and Dead Lift: 240lbs.

I started lifting weights for the first time last year and was doing more isolated muscle type lifts with higher reps (8-12) I probably did a 12 week plan twice. I wasn't 100% religious with it but tried my best to get the workouts in (~85%).

I will take a look at the madcow program. Thanks again!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different pre-workouts, and I am all for them. The most important thing is to find one that feels how you want it to feel. I've heard that some people don't like the 'jittery' feeling that they can get from them, while others love it. I have such a damned tolerance built up to all stimulants that are still legal in the US, that I could probably take a couple of No-Doz, chase it with some Bronchaid, drink five servings of Jack3d, and fall asleep. As such, I definitely don't get as much out of them as someone else might.

My personal recommendations:
    Epiq Power (at $50 per small can, this **** is expensive, but I've gotten better results with this than anything)
    Cellucor C4 (doesn't taste too awful, and works pretty well)
  • tdeprat
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendations!

I will look into Epiq Power. I tried a few pre-workout drinks last year and I was okay with them (Jack3d, superpump, C4). I just stopped taking them because I had some bad experiences. The first was raw ravage (bottle); it tasted like poison, then after the workout I threw it up (it tasted like poison coming out too). Then the other bad experience was with sizeon; it felt like a brick in my stomach and I promptly threw that up too after the workout. I don't know if it was mental or because it was leg day both times...but I normally don't really have any bad reaction to stimulants either. :frown:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different pre-workouts, and I am all for them. The most important thing is to find one that feels how you want it to feel. I've heard that some people don't like the 'jittery' feeling that they can get from them, while others love it. I have such a damned tolerance built up to all stimulants that are still legal in the US, that I could probably take a couple of No-Doz, chase it with some Bronchaid, drink five servings of Jack3d, and fall asleep. As such, I definitely don't get as much out of them as someone else might.

My personal recommendations:
    Epiq Power (at $50 per small can, this **** is expensive, but I've gotten better results with this than anything)
    Cellucor C4 (doesn't taste too awful, and works pretty well)

Cellucor C4 FTW!!! So far my favorite PWO and they taste the best out of the other PWO's that I have tasted. I too have built up a little tolerance against some stim's (Beta Alanine for one). I plan on getting a little and adding it to my C4.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! I am not really sure if I am still having noob gains. I think I am because this is the first time I have tried the big compound body movements in a power lifting program. Here are my numbers so far:

My starting numbers for my 1 rep maxes: Bench Press: 145lbs, Squat: 205lbs, and Dead Lift: 230lbs.

Here are my current numbers after 5 weeks: Bench Press: 175lbs, Squat: 215lbs, and Dead Lift: 240lbs.

I started lifting weights for the first time last year and was doing more isolated muscle type lifts with higher reps (8-12) I probably did a 12 week plan twice. I wasn't 100% religious with it but tried my best to get the workouts in (~85%).

I will take a look at the madcow program. Thanks again!

If you've started 5/3/1 then you should just stick with it for a while. I would honestly suggest doing it for six-months before considering a switch. When you first start 5/3/1, you will be able to crank out a ton of reps, even on the 5/3/1+ week, however; over time that will diminish and you will be close to working near your true 1RM and that's FINE. There's no problem with only doing 1 rep on the 5/3/1 week. Then once that becomes too much, then you do a reset using 90% of your new 1RM. Make sure you read the book and if you have read the book, read it again. I find new little nuggets of information every time I read his book. Also, make sure your assistance exercises are good and support getting stronger in the main movements. Dips, chin-ups, dumbbell rows, good mornings, romanian deadlifts, back hyperextensions, are all very important in getting stronger in those lifts as well. Some may say "well beginners don't need to do them." But lifters like Jim Wendler and Louis Simmons would say to do them and they've forgotten more about lifting then most people on these boards will ever know.

I'm not saying that MC5x5 is a bad method by any means, I actually liked the full-body workout but it is definitely not better or worse than 5/3/1 and being that 5/3/1 gets so much attention and support within advanced lifting circles; I would say it's a pretty good method. Since you've started 5/3/1, just stick with it. It's easy to get into a habit of program jumping when you hit a wall and that's not a good habit to get into. Jim also has a 5/3/1 full-body template in his book as well if you're interested in that, but stick with his general philosophy for now.
  • tdeprat
    Options

If you've started 5/3/1 then you should just stick with it for a while. I would honestly suggest doing it for six-months before considering a switch. When you first start 5/3/1, you will be able to crank out a ton of reps, even on the 5/3/1+ week, however; over time that will diminish and you will be close to working near your true 1RM and that's FINE. There's no problem with only doing 1 rep on the 5/3/1 week. Then once that becomes too much, then you do a reset using 90% of your new 1RM. Make sure you read the book and if you have read the book, read it again. I find new little nuggets of information every time I read his book. Also, make sure your assistance exercises are good and support getting stronger in the main movements. Dips, chin-ups, dumbbell rows, good mornings, romanian deadlifts, back hyperextensions, are all very important in getting stronger in those lifts as well. Some may say "well beginners don't need to do them." But lifters like Jim Wendler and Louis Simmons would say to do them and they've forgotten more about lifting then most people on these boards will ever know.

I'm not saying that MC5x5 is a bad method by any means, I actually liked the full-body workout but it is definitely not better or worse than 5/3/1 and being that 5/3/1 gets so much attention and support within advanced lifting circles; I would say it's a pretty good method. Since you've started 5/3/1, just stick with it. It's easy to get into a habit of program jumping when you hit a wall and that's not a good habit to get into. Jim also has a 5/3/1 full-body template in his book as well if you're interested in that, but stick with his general philosophy for now.

Thanks for the reply! I do think that I will stick to 5/3/1 for a while as I only just started it and have only been doing it about 2 months. To be honest, I don't really like the full-body style of workouts as I don't think it is enough rest for me. With respect to assistance exercieses, the first month I did more varied assistance exercises, but this last month I was doing the "Big but boring" type of template. I think after I finish out this phase I will go back to the more varied assistance exercises.

Thanks again. :smile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! I do think that I will stick to 5/3/1 for a while as I only just started it and have only been doing it about 2 months. To be honest, I don't really like the full-body style of workouts as I don't think it is enough rest for me. With respect to assistance exercieses, the first month I did more varied assistance exercises, but this last month I was doing the "Big but boring" type of template. I think after I finish out this phase I will go back to the more varied assistance exercises.

Thanks again. :smile:

Your lifts already look strong, so you're doing well. Unfortunately because you've progressing nicely you're going to start hitting walls faster. I did MC5x5 for a while and if you not familiar with the method, it's a 12-week cycle. The first time I went through 10 weeks before I needed to reset, then 8 weeks, and then 6 weeks before having to reset. Progression definitely slows and can be very frustrating.

There's nothing wrong with the Big But Boring template, especially if you like it. If you have the 2nd edition Jim writes about what I believe he called "one big assistance" movement which I liked a lot too. Just find a way to use the program that you enjoy. If you're following what he says to do then there's no real wrong way of using 5/3/1. Try and keep your head-up through the "walls" and reset when needed. :smile: