Supersize Me!!!!!!!!! Noooooooot! 3/5

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.aicr.org/enews/january-2013/enews-weight-loss-tips.html

I like this because it reminds us the correct ways and the important and lasting issues with weight loss! Also, who does not want to REDUCE the risk of cancer?!?!
Anyhoo, the slide I wanted to focuse on today is portion sizes. (read all the slides).
I will confess to ya'll though my vice is portion distortion! I NEED to measure and weigh my foods otherwise....I become Giganta! So click on the highlighted 'serving size finder'.

So to keep this weight loss for a life-time...make sure you challenge yourself to understand the proper servings/portions to foods! It is paramount! For our young children too!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• hippiefemme
    hippiefemme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a kitchen scale just so I could make sure I'm watching my serving sizes. It's useful for everything in general, but I particularly use it for foods that I can eat and eat and eat--like potato chips. I'll weigh the bowl to see the starting weight and then add chips to the bowl until it equals the serving size on the bag.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1280#label

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/opinion/calorie-detective.html?_r=1&

This is more to read on serving size and calorie counts from the many places we like to eat...all is not what it seeeeems my pretty!!!! (evil witch laughter).
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I've had a scale forever. But I recently feel like I need to buy a new one that weighs in grams and ounces - does that even exist? And sometimes, they don't tell you if the weight is dry (un-cooked) or wet (cooked) - I'm thinking about pasta here. I think my pasta measurements were way off. I count out almonds, I measure every thing. My family thinks I'm nuts. But a palm size of one protein isn't necessarily the same weight as a plam size of another protien. Eggs are so simple. They are self portioning. I have an antique set of china from my grandmother that I love to use at the holidays. Most people hate them becuase they are so small. The dinner plates are about the size of our modern day salad plates. Does that tell you how far we have changed our portion sizes in 70 years? Does for me. It's why I love them and wish I dared to use them everyday but they are too special for that. I'm on the look out in thrift stores though as I want some more salad plates for every day use.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options

WTH!?!?!?!??! Can we even trust nutrtional data for basic ingrediants then like an egg or 3 oz of chicken breast? ACK!!!!! This is a bit disheartening, to say the least. And they wonder why we have an obesity epedimic. Our gov is part of the problem.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you. I am so glad that although there are discrepancies I am still losing weight. It seems impossible after watching the informational video.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this! I was able to find a table that estimates the size of servings and I printed it for my fridge.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for later... thank you:happy:
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've had a scale forever. But I recently feel like I need to buy a new one that weighs in grams and ounces - does that even exist? And sometimes, they don't tell you if the weight is dry (un-cooked) or wet (cooked) - I'm thinking about pasta here. I think my pasta measurements were way off. I count out almonds, I measure every thing. My family thinks I'm nuts. But a palm size of one protein isn't necessarily the same weight as a plam size of another protien. Eggs are so simple. They are self portioning. I have an antique set of china from my grandmother that I love to use at the holidays. Most people hate them becuase they are so small. The dinner plates are about the size of our modern day salad plates. Does that tell you how far we have changed our portion sizes in 70 years? Does for me. It's why I love them and wish I dared to use them everyday but they are too special for that. I'm on the look out in thrift stores though as I want some more salad plates for every day use.

I like to use smaller plates, too. I tend to fill up a plate, no matter the size, if I'm not paying attention, so smaller is better for me.

Have you seen the (modern as opposed to vintage) Fiesta lunch or buffet plates? They have a 9" diameter. (And they are so colorful!) I normally use the lunch plate as my every-meal plate.

I'm not sure if this size is what you are looking for or smaller; they also have a 7.25" diameter salad plate that my be closer to your antique set in size. (Totally different look than your antique set, though, I would imagine. But I think they're great. :) )
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you. I am so glad that although there are discrepancies I am still losing weight. It seems impossible after watching the informational video.

I think because you and others measure and also counter the excess calories with intense exercise. Not impossible but it just shows how the companies and gov't sabotage you for monies sake! Yet the gov't has all these recommendations to lose! UGH! PUT gym back in schools! Sorry still my rant from yesterday!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I've been using sandwich plates instead of dinner plates for all my meals and weigh and measure everything. I have a scale that has a button that switches it between grams, ounces, kilograms, and pounds (I think, I usually only measure in grams or ounces)
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge today Garlic! It's always good to be given a reminder about portion control! :smile:

I think one of the biggest shockers for me when I started logging my food was realizing how huge my portion sizes really were. I never realized how giant my meals were when I ate out or even how big of servings I took when I ate dinner at home. It's really interesting to me how since I started using MFP my portion sizes have slowly seemed to decrease. I often have to get to-go boxes at restaurants now and only take one serving of dinner at home, not only because I realize that it's really all I need, but also because I get full a lot faster than I used to.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've been using sandwich plates instead of dinner plates for all my meals and weigh and measure everything. I have a scale that has a button that switches it between grams, ounces, kilograms, and pounds (I think, I usually only measure in grams or ounces)

I had never thought about using a smaller plate! That is such a good idea. I'm going to have to remember that one! :)