My New Reason For Drinking....

Options
RunIntheMud
RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
As if I really needed one, I now have a new reason to love my beer....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

Replies

• BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    LOL... Good find RunintheMud! I don't know how reliable of a study that is, but I'm willing to take it at face value, and while the alcohol in beer probably counters any significant benefits garnered... An Ice cold brew after a long sweaty workout is going to taste better than anything else I could think of. ;-)

Cheers!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    You're my hero.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I read something similar a while back. It said that beer was a good "recovery drink" after long endurance type exercise. It was of more benefit after something like a marathon or really long bike ride or something where you pretty much deplete everything you've got. I figure it still can't hurt to have a beer after a 5K or other shorter run.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's confirmation bias, I'm going to say that that study is 100% correct ;-)
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Woooo Hoooo! I KNEW beer was better than water after a work out!
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    ... and while the alcohol in beer probably counters any significant benefits garnered...

Bite your tongue!!! :laugh:

Kidding of course. But, I love a cold beer after a long run. A friend of mine got me hooked when I was living in Hawaii. He kept preaching that it was "proven" to be better than Gatorade. Who was I to argue? And, in that heat it tasted sooooo good!!! I was just glad to find a study that supported my beliefs. :)
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    A beer is exactly what I need after workout! :drinker:

:flowerforyou: thank you for sharing this wonderful article!
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A slightly-related topic, I was reading "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels, and in the section about stouts he says that in the "old days," doctors recommended that women who were breast feeding drink "1 quart of stout beer" a DAY to provide the extra calories and nutrients required for breast feeding.

We may have died younger in those days, but I suggest that we died much, much happier... :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    GOOD ONE!
  • shaunwewege
    shaunwewege Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have no facts to back this up but I am certain the world would be a more relaxed place if more people had the occasional beer.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    I agree... :)
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have no facts to back this up but I am certain the world would be a more relaxed place if more people had the occasional beer.

Here's your proof:

mexicofan.jpg