Howdy!

Options
CoCoMa
CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
Stopping in to say howdy, and I’m happy to see this group! I’m not new to Atkins (on and off a few years), but recently restarted this WOE to take control of my diabetes and come out of the fog. I did the ’72 version of Atkins, which was very restrictive, and I’ve also done Fat Fast to break a plateau (last resort). I lost a ton of weight, and was the picture of health, but for some oddball reason thought that WW and Jenny Craig were great diet ideas – NOT! Now I follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach and also juice (only leafy greens & ginger root) to get additional nutrients which seems to have helped move things along.

CoCo

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Howdy, Coco! I love your name. I've been doing Atkins for a year and lost 74 pounds so far. I'm on here everyday. You can add me if you'd like support and encouragement from a fellow Atkins follower. Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • tami6543
    tami6543 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hello!

I started Atkins again last Sunday & I'm down 5 lbs already. I've really done every other diet plan out there & always come back to Atkins. I've found that most people that lose a significant amount of weight virtually all have used Atkins as it's the only diet for long term hunger control. I've managed to derail myself on Atkins a few times too but I finally figured out that I can't do the shakes & bars as they do stall my weight loss & that seems to be helping me the most this time around. I love that I can incorporate Atkins dinners for my husband & add a few carbs in for him and big breakfast on the weekend so this plan really fits my lifestyle.

I would love to share recipes or encouragement if anyone wants to friend me as well.

Tami
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Thanks Nancy for the support, and congrats on your progress, that's awesome!!

Tammi, I definitely have to stay away from the processed stuff, although I do love them bars :ohwell: I sometimes have to force myself to eat, so it's really good to break the carb cravings! I'm not big on recipes, I usually just throw things together, and somehow things just fall into place :smile: I use shiritaki noodles, and faux rice on a regular basis, which keeps me satisfied.

Thanks ladies for the friendship and support!
  • tami6543
    tami6543 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just bought some of those shirataki noodles & have used them as rice. I got the sample pack so I'm going to use the angel hair pasta for spagetti with meat sauce this weekend.

I read on Linda's low carb that she cut the bars into tiny pieces and just had a small piece now & then so I might try that later, after induction.

So nice to find this group to bounce ideas off of!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Tami, there's so many things to do with the noodles. I make a thai coconut soup (chicken, fish sauce, unsweetened coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger, chili paste, lime leaves, garlic) and add the flat noodles, and I use Walden Farms pasta sauce in my spaghetti, which I happen to like more than some other flavors.

Good idea for the bars! I was thinking on splurging down the road, so I'm looking forward to it!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Tami, there's so many things to do with the noodles. I make a thai coconut soup (chicken, fish sauce, unsweetened coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger, chili paste, lime leaves, garlic) and add the flat noodles, and I use Walden Farms pasta sauce in my spaghetti, which I happen to like more than some other flavors.

Good idea for the bars! I was thinking on splurging down the road, so I'm looking forward to it!
    Hi everyone! I do Atkins periodically and am on it now. Quit smoking, gained 20 lbs now have 8 more to lose of those 20. tell me about those ****ake noodles? are they carb free? I've heard of them but never had them before...... yay or nay or the noodles?
  • harvesthouse2012
    Options
    Hello, trying to get back on Atkins to reduce by 20-25 lbs any encouragement would be appreciated. After being in this body for 56 years I have come to realize I use "sugar" to deal with stress and actually enjoy it but know that the long range prospects of this lifestyle in not healthy at all. Wish me good fortune (and not in the form of a cookie)
  • yoyonomore2013
    Options
    I'm 64 and you can tell my history by my name. I just started Atkins and also am reading lots of things about lo carb diets. I just finished "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Its pretty technical but very informative. It really explains why I have yo-yoed seemingly forever. So I got the book "the New Atkins" , which is written by a professor at Duke University and am going to follow it. Except that I think that I will stay in Induction for longer than two weeks. I've realized that carbs are killing me.

So good luck to you!!! You have made a wise choice!
  • yoyonomore2013
    Options
    Hi! I have read your posts and you seem to have lots of great ideas. Please tell me more about the juice you referred to here!
  • harvesthouse2012
    Options
    I actually lost 1 lb since yesterday! Hooray!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Nice to hear about your 1lb! I need to get back to the 20g carb count, I know I'll see the scale move then.

YoYo, I got the juice idea from a Netflix documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Although the Doc is geared towards 100% juicing, and vegan/raw foods, I figure that if i juice my LC veggies, that I'd actually "eat" em. I get my veggies from a certified organic Co-op market, which has made a huge difference in taste. I use a Breville juicer (mid-grade, nothing fancy) and I also have a Blendtec blender that I use when I want the fibrous veggie pulp. Once I get to the maintenance phase of Atkins, I plan on adding apples to sweeten up the drinks, currently I use stevia powder to sweeten.

One thing I've noticed though, if I juice primarily, I lose much slower. For me, fat is the answer, when I eat more fatty meats, avocado, cream cheese, etc..that's when the scale moves!
  • yoyonomore2013
    Options
    Coco - thanks for info on the juice! I have a long journey ahead of me, so I don't want to slow things down. Maybe I'll skip the juice for a while. I don't mind the veggies since we can use butter. I also made my own homemade Blue Cheese Dressing (so I know whats in it). It is great on salads.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Yummy, blue cheese dressing! It's better to wait on the juice. I know If I were to have more, my ketosis level settles in the light range.