Trouble sleeping now??

Options
danipals
danipals Posts: 143 Member
Hey there! I think this sounds crazy but since I started NROL4W last week I have not been able to sleep! I don't fall asleep quickly but also just I feel like I am up all night and am exhausted by morning from tossing and turning etc. It's like I doze for 30-45 minutes at a time but am dreaming so vividly during that time that it is tiring. My husband insists it is from lifting heavy and that he experienced the same thing when he did p90x for the first time. (It probably doesn't help that I just started 10k training too but just starting so only running 2-3 miles at a time.)

Anyone else experience this? I'm on a week of little sleep and even the ladies at work have mentioned how awful I look! Just wondering?

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not helpful because I had the exact opposite experience. After my workout and dinner I was completely zonked and could fall asleep pretty much right away. Are you eating anything different? Have your eating times changed?
  • danipals
    Options
    If anything, eating a bit more. I'm eating close to 1800 calories on workout days (which is 6 days/week). I may just be a weirdo. All I know is that even as I sit here now, my eyes are just burning and squinty as they want to sleep.

Glad you are feeling so great!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sleeping great since starting NROL4W. I have no problem falling asleep, but I do wake up a few times in the night, and I have been having crazy dreams. I thought it had something to do with me eating cheese before bed.

How can heavy lifting cause this? Thats a big downside I hadn't considered.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I remember reading in the book about this very topic. I'm pretty sure the author said this can happen with overtraining (too much added exercise on top of the weight routine) and undereating. Check the book out again, I'm sure it's in the nurtrition section...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I remember reading in the book about this very topic. I'm pretty sure the author said this can happen with overtraining (too much added exercise on top of the weight routine) and undereating. Check the book out again, I'm sure it's in the nurtrition section...

Especially if you are working out 6 days a week! There is a reason for the rest days. It can be hard to slow down when you're excited to get started, but you'll get better results in the end. Good luck!
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    He does mention this in the book. I think he says it's due to not resting enough between workouts and/or not getting enough calories and protein. I recently started the program and although I don't have trouble sleeping, I have been tired. I've been running as well. I have a 10K in April. I've scaled back my running a bit to two days/week with one long run on the weekend and am trying to lift 2-3 days/week. I think that's helping the fatigue. Good Luck!
  • danipals
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! I will reread the Nutrition section of the book. I am committed to running the race with a friend. We signed up prior to me starting NROL4W. I didn't think it would make much difference as it is so much less running than when we did the half-marathon last year. I don't even really consider myself a runner as I only run to train for one race a year with occasional 5ks with the family in between. Plus, I'm pretty slow. :) As soon as our race was over last April I had really cut back on running due to plantar fasciitis so unfortunately even running the 2.5m today was hard! (I can't believe I could run 13 last year!)

I don't feel that the 1800 I'm eating at is low. I actually feel chubbier on the outside although I feel like my muscles inside are tightening if that makes sense.

I guess I'm in a pickle as I can't really cut the cardio. Should I switch from 3x week of lifting to 2x until the end of April when the race is over?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! I will reread the Nutrition section of the book. I am committed to running the race with a friend. We signed up prior to me starting NROL4W. I didn't think it would make much difference as it is so much less running than when we did the half-marathon last year. I don't even really consider myself a runner as I only run to train for one race a year with occasional 5ks with the family in between. Plus, I'm pretty slow. :) As soon as our race was over last April I had really cut back on running due to plantar fasciitis so unfortunately even running the 2.5m today was hard! (I can't believe I could run 13 last year!)

I don't feel that the 1800 I'm eating at is low. I actually feel chubbier on the outside although I feel like my muscles inside are tightening if that makes sense.

I guess I'm in a pickle as I can't really cut the cardio. Should I switch from 3x week of lifting to 2x until the end of April when the race is over?

Listen to your body. If you can't sleep from overtraining it makes sense to cut something out! On another note, I eat 1800 calories on my rest days and 2000 when I workout. I just bumped these up a couple weeks ago and I feel so much better for it; http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

You could always try lifting 2 days/week and see if it makes a difference. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not willing to give up the running or the lifting, so I'm trying to figure out what works best. I have noticed lifting heavier weights has made me a better runner. I feel a lot stronger when running and am running faster than before.
  • danipals
    Options
    As much as I hate to do it, I am going to try to cut the lifting to 2x and will still run 3x. I WISH I could just get rid of the running but am already committed to my friend for this last race. After April I will focus on the lifting without the cardio.

I do think my calories are pretty good. I'm 39 yo and waffle between using lightly active and moderate. I am pretty busy 3x a week but the other 4 vary widely with what I do other than my actual exercise. I'm tempted to get a bodymedia fit.