What's your personal formula for weight-loss success?

Options
Hi everyone!!

So I've had an underactive thyroid for about two years. I'm on 100mg of Levothyroxine and at last count my TSH was 1.3 and my free T4 was 16.5. I mostly feel ok, but have the same kind of residual symptoms most of you guys have - fatigue and flaky nails most annoying! Oh, and of course the fact that it is harder to lose weight!

Anyway, I've recently put on half a stone, mostly to my eating and drinking habits! I'm now ready to get back on the weight loss wagon and wondered what your formula for success is? If anyone fancies answering the questions below, I'd be really grateful as it will help me work out my game plan!!

1) How much medication are you on?
2) What were your last TSH/T4 levels?
3) How many calories do you each each day?
4) Do you ever eat back exercise calories?
5) How much exercise do you do?
6) Do you follow any specific eating guidelines other than calorie counting i.e low carb?

Thanks so much in advance! :happy:

Stevie :smile:

Replies

• x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1. 100mcg levothyroxine
    2. 1.59 TSH (started off at 177) i still have hypo symptoms
    3. 1500-2000 (1500 is my BMR - calories my body needs if i was to just stay in bed all day) (1500 on days with no exercise and closer to 2000 if i exercise)
    4. yes mostly
    5. ALOT lol ummm around 30 miles a week walking (taking daughter to nursery, meeting friends and a planned 5 mile walk), 2 and half hours a week exercise bike (i dont watch corrie unless im on the exercise bike)and 5 days a week jillian 30 Day Shred.
    6. i am gluten free, i try and keep carbs between 100 and 150g, i supplement with selenium, vitamin d and vitamin bcomplex. i also try to avoid processed foods and anything artificial.

Hope that helps
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks, that's really helpful! It's great to know exactly what people get success with. From what I can tell by looking at other success stories on the internet, lots and lots of exercise and low carb seem to be the key for a lot of people. Exercise bit for me is fine, but god do I love bread and pasta! :laugh:

Guess I should start trying to reduce the amounts! :smile:
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Here is mine! Feel free to friend me if you wish!
    1) How much medication are you on? 2 grains of Armour (I can go up to 4 a day if I feel I need to)
    2) What were your last TSH/T4 levels? sorry don't have that handy, but my TSH antibodies were at 4000 are now at 300 ( I have Hashimotos)
    3) How many calories do you each each day? 1500 I try to not eat back my exercise calories. I am usually around 1300 to 1600 a day...lots n lots of water!
    4) Do you ever eat back exercise calories?no I try not to
    5) How much exercise do you do? Yoga and walking 3-4 days a week plus just running around the house doing chores
    6) Do you follow any specific eating guidelines other than calorie counting i.e low carb? Gluten free as much as possible and little to no alcohol(I do drink occasionally on the weekends but, really try not to every weekend) no dairy, very little cheese goat cheese seems okay. Try to cook only with coconut oil as it doesn't stay in the system as fat. Lots n Lots of veggies. Anything to cut down on inflammation in my system keeps the weight down. I love sweets and I do cheat with cookies (homemade gluten free cookies)

For supplements I take 10000IU of D3 5 days a week, 1 good multivitamin, 10mg DHEA, 4000 IU of Fish Oil a day. 1 tablespoon of coconut oil a day(this has really made a difference) I also take catalyst by Advocare and are trying some of their other supplements

It takes time just be patient with yourself and use it as a lifestyle change for your health not just a diet. It has taken me over a year to lose weight I have but, that is okay. It took time to put it on it is going to take time to get it off.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    as for bread and pasta I buy gluten free bread (Udos taste pretty great toasted!) and I use shirataki noodles for pasta (takes some getting used to but it works or I love spaghetti squash I make it in the mircowave and just shred it. I eat everything my family eats I am just mindful of the ingredients and find some alternatives for me. I like to use lettuce leaves for my tacos or chicken wraps. Just looks for alternatives and think outside the box
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    1) How much medication are you on? 5 grains of NP Thyroid (supposedly generic for Armour)

2) What were your last TSH/T4 levels? All of my levels were way underactive at last labs - I have Hashimoto's - hence such a high dose of NP. I get labs redone April 1

3) How many calories do you each each day? Between 1890-2200 on average

4) Do you ever eat back exercise calories? Yes if I have an unusually high burn that day

5) How much exercise do you do? On average, about an hour 5-6 times per week. I try to do more weight training than cardio

6) Do you follow any specific eating guidelines other than calorie counting i.e low carb? High protein - I watch my macros like a hawk - 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. I exercise a lot so I do not do low carb as your body needs carbs for fuel. I try to eat above BMR and at around a 10-15% cut of my TDEE. Heavy weights, strength training and some cardio. I supplement with selenium and vitamin D. I eat a ton of veggies and try to eat as clean as possible, but have to supplement with protein powder to hit my protein goals.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    1) How much medication are you on? -- compounded customized T3/T4 med
    2) What were your last TSH/T4 levels? I don't bother looking at TSH, just look at free T3 and free T4.
    3) How many calories do you each each day? 1500-2000, depending on activity level
    4) Do you ever eat back exercise calories? Yup
    5) How much exercise do you do? Depends - during the ideal times I walk or run daily, usually at least an hour combined. Then lift for 10-15 mins.
    6) Do you follow any specific eating guidelines other than calorie counting i.e low carb? Yup - eliminate sugar and yeast. Keeps my thyroid antibodies under control.

My main formula for success though is getting my doctor to test my free T3 and free T4, and dose me properly! :)
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So useful! I'm currently vegetarian...which usually leads me to eat too many carbs! Do you guys all eat meat/fish for your protein?

Thanks!
    Stevie
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Hi, heres mine:

1) How much medication are you on? 175mcg
    2) What were your last TSH/T4 levels? 4.9 tsh - So I wan't too pleased hence 175mcg
    3) How many calories do you each each day? 1000 - 1200
    4) Do you ever eat back exercise calories? Nope
    5) How much exercise do you do? Hardly any, I am lazy :s I try to do keep fit dvds etc every other night
    6) Do you follow any specific eating guidelines other than calorie counting i.e low carb? I am Gluten free - BEST THING EVER!

I've lost 17.5lbs since December 30th, I think its slowing down so I am considering eating more.