A friend of mine has issues lol

Options
2»

Replies

• RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    He should probably move on. Too many guys think girls are vending machines where you put in kind gestures and out pops sex.

LMFAO!!!

Back on track....

He is definitely friend zoned and she has not been as forthcoming about telling him as she should. He also sounds like a really nice guy that just doesn't want to see the truth. She's using him in the capacity of a boyfriend, but only when it suits her needs. He needs to take a step back and see how selfish she is being and how unbalanced that relationship is. He gives, she takes. But, in a strictly platonic way. There is no romance to any of it. If I were him, I'd start to distance myself from her. Start declining invites for dinner. Become slower to respond to texts/calls. Tell her that he can't help fix some things. He can still help, but he needs to be less available. She may realize she has feelings for him, or she may move on to another man for help. Either way he'll find out what her true intentions were.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Tell him that if he services your car too, you will put in a good word for him with that girl.

I'm sure that if the girl not only thinks he is a "nice guy" because he serviced her car, but also hears it from several different sources then clearly she will see the light.
    If that was me, I'd actually do that for real, to see what he replies.

But who knows... maybe there will be a happy ending to this story after all and we're just a bunch of bitter critters.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    He needs to ask her straight out on a date, not a friend date, if she says no then he should start distancing himself now or be resigned to being in the friendzone for life.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I know lol he has been friends zoned. I even told him that I was going to bring this issue to an impartial group of people who didn't know him and get their opinions (yes that would be ya'll lol)
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thank you for my friend ______ (insert his name here)
    He also does alot of things for her, he is helping her rebuild a car and takes her alot of places. She also can't stand me cause he and I hang out alot..

These points alone pretty much solidify your argument.

If she was interested in him, he wouldn't need to do **** for her and he would know.

If he feels like he needs to do things to earn her approval, he must subconsciously believe he hasn't earned her approval.

However this is probably more his fault than hers, (although I think she is ridiculous for stringing him along) but in fairness he apparently believes that "doing favors" is a form of investment, when it is a gift.

What I mean by that is, sometimes men (inb4 kit) think doing favors for women is a way to "buy their approval/love" (yes it is stupid). So it looks like one of those typical cases. He of course will deny it left and right. This is to be expected.

Basically you can "buy all the breadcrumbs" you want, but eventually she will find someone else to satisfy her needs.

Not worded the best, but hopefully my message came across.

EDIT: And yes I didn't read the other responses, seems as if everyone is in agreement.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Thank you for my friend ______ (insert his name here)
    He also does alot of things for her, he is helping her rebuild a car and takes her alot of places. She also can't stand me cause he and I hang out alot..

These points alone pretty much solidify your argument.

If she was interested in him, he wouldn't need to do **** for her and he would know.

If he feels like he needs to do things to earn her approval, he must subconsciously believe he hasn't earned her approval.

However this is probably more his fault than hers, (although I think she is ridiculous for stringing him along) but in fairness he apparently believes that "doing favors" is a form of investment, when it is a gift.

What I mean by that is, sometimes men (inb4 kit) think doing favors for women is a way to "buy their approval/love" (yes it is stupid). So it looks like one of those typical cases. He of course will deny it left and right. This is to be expected.

Basically you can "buy all the breadcrumbs" you want, but eventually she will find someone else to satisfy her needs.

Not worded the best, but hopefully my message came across.

EDIT: And yes I didn't read the other responses, seems as if everyone is in agreement.

Yea and when was the last time we all agreed on something... I think I may have just triggered the end of the world lol
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Yea and when was the last time we all agreed on something... I think I may have just triggered the end of the world lol

Put your heads between your knees and kiss your as[url]ses goodbye....

Thanks Jen... :frown:[/url]
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Thanks Jen... :frown:
    [/url]

If the world is about to end, I'd rather have someone else's head between my knees
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

[/url]

If the world is about to end, I'd rather have someone else's head between my knees

Eh, good point....but, I couldn't let a good Airplane quote go to waste...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

What I mean by that is, sometimes men (inb4 kit)

It's cool, you already added the "sometimes" disclaimer. My problem would be if you had said "men ALWAYS" or something like that.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

[/url]

Eh, good point....but, I couldn't let a good Airplane quote go to waste...

One of the airplane movies had a quote similar to mine where people were told to put their head in their laps and then a flight attendant told a priest he needed to put his head in his own lap.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think she's told him she sees him as a friend (this will help her conscience) but leaves the door open so that she can string him along to kepp getting what she wants.

^^ this ^^ EXACTLY!!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

It's cool, you already added the "sometimes" disclaimer. My problem would be if you had said "men ALWAYS" or something like that.

You have earned a personal disclaimer kit. Congratulations. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

You have earned a personal disclaimer kit. Congratulations. :)

Yes, this amuses me, I just want to see it applied to the correct situations :devil:
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your friend isn't going to listen to anyone, including the girl that has openly said she doesn't see it that way. Let it run its course.

I hate the fact I can relate, but ^^^^ this!

I've been hooked on girls before in the same situation, and always hoping it would "work out" or "change". I hate it when girls will do this, but at the same time its his fault too for going with it...hopefully he figures it out before it hurts too much.
  • azhcanedition
    azhcanedition Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your friend sounds like he's got a bit of codependency in him. Trust me, I know the symptoms all too well.

I'm a single guy whose had only 1 girlfriend, who has had 'toxic' gal pals that would utilize said codependent nature to advantage. The ones that wouldn't really change their ways have moved on, because my "enabling" nature was no longer theirs to command. The ones that actually respected me when I started putting foot down have stuck around.

I too have a LTR mandate and have no issues to change.

She only sees you as a threat because you're seen as someone who can take her little "puppy dog" away. Someone who might be able to wake him up and make him realize exactly what she's doing. Now, this might not make her necessarily a completely evil manipulative person. All though, there is certainly room for that one particular chance. She might be just as codependent too and not realize it. One of the few toxic friends I had, she had/has/had/has (etc, ad nasuem) that same kind of attention seeking behavior. She doesn't even realize what she's doing, but it's such a learned behavior that it's almost pure instinctual level. Then, she constantly wonders why guys "get signals" even though she sets them straight about being just friends. She's programmed to overcompensate because a part of her wants that attention she's not getting from a constant string of toxic/abusive boyfriends. Anyways, diverging track here. Whatever the case, he needs to start pulling back the favors and the placation, start planting feet if he's jumping the moment she says ju...and cant finish with the mp.

I'd say he needs to look hard core at his over-appeasing nature, and even look into codependency (because his story sounds way too hauntingly familiar to my own experiences with my codependency issues). Even if it's not that, and maybe just something simple as loneliness that's causing his reaction, I get it. I'm working towards my seventh year without a girlfriend and was working on a seventh year without a date (I recently restarted that clock a few months back...yay?). He needs just to back down, step back, take a breather, whatever terminology is preferred and sort out his feelings without her constant presence....