yahoo! Beat my goal. 110 miles in 2 months, not 3.

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
My YMCA has a swim challenge each year. A distance equal to a particular body of water. This year is the Haw River in NC. The distance is 110 miles.
I started the year hoping to complete my first challenge distance by the end of March. I ended up completing it by the end of February. Not bad for an old guy. :)
My goal for the year is 4 lengths but it is looking like 5 is more likely assuming vacation interruptions.

Replies

• starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    110 miles in 8 weeks is a lot of swimming! Great job! How many times a week and how far each swim?

What do you mean by your last sentence - your goal for the year is 4 lengths...?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    110 miles in 8 weeks is a lot of swimming! Great job! How many times a week and how far each swim?

What do you mean by your last sentence - your goal for the year is 4 lengths...?

My goal is to do the Challenge length (110 miles) 4 times during the year.

I swim at least 5 days a week. Each swim is 72, 90, or 110 laps (25 yard length pool). Some Saturdays I swim twice. The most on one Saturday was 160 laps. 90 at 6AM and 70 at 3:30PM with an hour of heavy weight lifting in between with my son.

When I swim after work I follow up with at least 30 minutes in the weight room. So far this routine has helped me maintain and even gain muscle while losing a total of 75 pounds so far since August of 2011. Still have 55 to go.
  • starbuckette
    Options
    Great effort = great results! That is just awesome! Keep it up!

I try to swim 15km a week, 3-4 km per swim (1 km = 40 laps). I've done up to 6 km per swim, but don't do that often!! I am just starting a strength training program as well. 50lbs down, 15 to go. Then maintenance and toning. :)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    A short pool if it is 40 laps for 1km. Or are you counting lengths? A 25m pool, by my count would be 20 laps per 1km.

My Y has a 25yard length. At Christmas I went to the Y near my niece and it is a 25m length. I noticed immediately because I count strokes and it took longer to make the length :bigsmile:

I love swimming, in part because I can't feel myself sweating. :laugh:
  • starbuckette
    Options
    I swim in a 25m pool. I don't like the sweating thing either.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good swimming! I'm impressed.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I am at 55 miles for the year.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am starting next week trying to swim 3 to 4 miles week. Right now it takes me about 45 min to do a mile...25 yard pool at my YMCA. o how I envy the people that have. 50 meter pool available!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    About same speed 40 min / mile @25 YD pool; 72 lengths. I enjoy it, will be swimming in the morning.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    About same speed 40 min / mile @25 YD pool; 72 lengths. I enjoy it, will be swimming in the morning.
    Very therapeutic. I call it my decompression time. :bigsmile: