Scared of the extra skin!

Options
dlmadeja
dlmadeja Posts: 109 Member
Hello everyone!!

My name is Danielle and I have lost about 80 lbs so far with still 60 lbs left to go and I am terrified of having all the extra skin. I don't have horrible loose skin yet although I have noticed that I have some on my arms, thighs, and my stomach. How do I make sure that it doesn't get any worse?? I work out all the time with Zumba being my favorite exercise to do. Is there something else I can add to prevent it??

Replies

• popopo011
    Options
    I think you should do weight training. So I was advised.
  • LMars13
    LMars13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from a book....Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. He said that in many cases when people have lost a lot of weight and think they've been left with great puddles of excess skin, it's actually still body fat. You may have reached your Goal Weight on the scales but Tom says it's worth looking at your body fat percentage

"Except in extreme cases, you are very unlikely to see someone with loose skin who has very low body fat. It's quite remarkable how much your skin can tighten up and literally start to "cling" to your abdominal muscles once your body fat goes from "average" to "excellent." Someone with legitimate single digit body fat and loose skin is a rare sight.

So... the key to getting tighter skin is to lose more body fat, up to the point where your body composition rating is BETTER than average (in the "good" to "great" category, not just "okay"). Only AFTER you reach your long term body fat percentage goal should you give thought to "excess skin removal."

... unless you are really, really lean, it's difficult to get a clear picture of what is loose skin, what is just remaining body fat and how much further the skin will tighten up when the rest of the fat is lost."

In addition.... you can also:

losing weight slowly
    keeping your skin hydrated
    preserving muscle tone and
    eating nutrient rich foods

I can also add from personal experience, having lost over 100lbs myself, the scary loose skin tends to go away. There are only a few areas I am still having trouble with; stomach (the biggest), upper arms and inner thighs. So, I am starting to work out to see if it fixes some of the jiggle. :)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I'm walking, drinking lots of water (10-13 glasses a day) to help flush my body out. Some cardio, strength training (just started using weights till now been using my own body weight) and working upper and lower body this week as well as core.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    me too actually , any tricks
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I want to know as well
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    agree with elmars13 I have lost about 36 lbs and was looking really wrinkled being of a certainage when one tends to wrinkle but I am begining to firm up noe I am in the normal catagory and say it will improve give it time your skin needs to regenerate and catch up with you weight loss
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Very helpful stuff. Thanks everyone!
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    From research I've done, they just recommend strength training to build the muscles and HYDRATE - drink lots of water and use lots of lotion. I read that depending on how heavy you were and how long you were at that weight can have a big effect on how long it takes for the skin to firm back up. It said that sometimes it can take 6 months to a year for the skin to adjust.

Age and genetics play part in it too, but I'm focusing on what I can control!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would add weight training into your workout routine, I hear that it works wonders for keeping things firm. I myself don't have experience with excess skin, so I can't help on that but I have heard that it's helpful, as well as staying hydrated. Plus, lifting weights has a plethora of other benefits, (helps rev metabolism to build muscle and burn fat, blah blah blah) so there's that.
  • IrishSoul
    IrishSoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I needed that... we all work very hard to lose and seeing that extra skin is kinda a bummer :)

Great post, thanks :)
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if things that bring blood to your capillaries help, like cardio, cayenne pepper, sauna. Things that are vaso dialators. I worked a lot with dry brushing and used mederma for stretch marks and it really seemed to help. I took pics and compared, It helped with redness, plus my skin got so soft.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Brushy, lots of excercise, brushy, regular creams , cold water, DRY BRUSHY and drinking lots of water helps.Did i mention brushy-brushy?
    I lost weight too fast at some point, mostly from belly and i srsly cant praise dry brushing with natural brush strongly enough.
    Helps with the epicentres of cellulite that my asscheeks used to be.
    I :heart: brushy.
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brushy, lots of excercise, brushy, regular creams , cold water, DRY BRUSHY and drinking lots of water helps.Did i mention brushy-brushy?
    I lost weight too fast at some point, mostly from belly and i srsly cant praise dry brushing with natural brush strongly enough.
    Helps with the epicentres of cellulite that my asscheeks used to be.
    I :heart: brushy.

What is brushy? Or dry brushing?
  • Tatiyanya
    Options
    I actualy have one natural bristles brush for dry brushing and other one with both syntetic bristles and like rubber thingiemajings that i use under shower. For soaping and scrubbing. I did forgot about taking mostly cold as heck showers, they do help too for the skin look i think.

Brushy is my pet name for those accessories. I am somewhat infantille
  • schexrn
    schexrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very helpful advice. I use lots of lotion too. Currently, I am trying to wear a sweat band around my "trouble zone" while doing cardio to target those fat cells around my abdomen. Will see how this works. What is brushy?
  • Tatiyanya
    Options
    4624382_f260.jpg
    ^the Brushy <3^

Just google "brush for dry brushing" and trial and error into one you like and want to stick with :3
  • dlmadeja
    dlmadeja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a lot of awesome advice! I've been trying to drink a ton of water and I'm going to be starting p90X soon. I heard that it really helps with tightening up the skin. I just don't want to lose the weight to be frustrated that I have all this loose skin. I'm going to try all of these tips!!
  • Sheila8605
    Sheila8605 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know from a previous weight loss that strength training while doing cardio to lose the pounds was a great way to minimize the loose skin. WIth dry brushing, I use the exfoliating gloves before I enter the shower and then once I get in the shower, I lather up and further do away with the dead skin. It is a wonderful way of rejuvenating the skin. I follow my shower with more natural moisturizers like pure cocoa butter, vegetable glycerine, etc. Good luck everyone.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/iammekris3191/

someone look through my photos and tell me your opinions if it's fat or skin. Inbox me please :'(
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump.