PCOS and an IUD

Options
LoveFitNation
LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
Hey - quick question.... Has anyone heard anything about whether it is good or bad to have an IUD when you have PCOS?? Obviously it is another birth control which many of us have been on birth control - but it causes you to not have a period - and I was just wondering what happens to the egg?? Does it stay up there and become another cyst??

Replies

• lalarox
    lalarox Posts: 37
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and I love it. I did not have a cycle for a looooooong time before getting on it. My doc said it is great because you get progesterone but don't necessarily have to have a monthy cylce. Since I have been on it I now have a regular cycle. I haven't noticed any side effects. Only thing is it took me quite a few months for my body to adjust to it. I spotted for a few months (I was told was normal with Mirena at first) but then I went from having one every few months to a regular cycle now. I am also noticing that the length of my cycle is shortening as well. I hope that helps. :happy:
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I have the copper IUD (In the US it is called Paragard), and I love it. Originally I got off the birth control pill because I felt like the problems I had had in the 10 years I'd been taking it were clearly hormonal, and I blamed it on the pill because I always had bad side effects and had to switch brands like 10 times, and I was sick of it. This was before I knew I had PCOS. So I got off the pill and got the copper IUD instead, which has no hormones. Shortly after I got my diagnosis because the symptoms became clearer once I got away from all the hormones.

I've had no side effects or anything with the IUD (the insertion was painful but only lasted 5 seconds and was no big deal- take ibuprofen beforehand), and I had a couple normal periods the first 2 months after getting it, no spotting in between (but that could've been the pill still in my system). It has not moved or caused pain at all since then....I've had it about 9 months.

I've since had to start taking a type of birth control pill/anti-androgen pill again anyway because of PCOS, but the doctor said my IUD is not dangerous at all with PCOS, and actually there is a lot of evidence that it lowers the risk of cervical cancer, which PCOS increases our risk of, so that's nice. And I like that I have a reliable form of birth control that I don't have to even think about, since I tend to have to switch from one medicine to another and I never know what I'm going to be on next. It allows me to treat whatever other medicine I'm on as strictly medicine for PCOS, because I know I've already got birth control covered.
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had three Mirana's placed and two came out..... one got lost. They said it came out..... I don't have any faith in the IUD's but I have been told by all of my docotor's I am a special case. I have been dealing with the effects of the PCOS for 11yrs or so... bad heavy and prolonged cycles and they said the IUD's would control it . I've had to have three seperate blood trasnfsion because of it. I don't think it's a good idea for those with extreme symptoms of extended cycles.

So now I said..... forget all the medications.... and I am dealing with my PCOS the natural way...... with a supplement..... called MACA. I had one normal cycle so far the first in 11 years. So I am hopeful.
  • pland54
    Options
    I've had three Mirana's placed and two came out..... one got lost. They said it came out..... I don't have any faith in the IUD's but I have been told by all of my docotor's I am a special case. I have been dealing with the effects of the PCOS for 11yrs or so... bad heavy and prolonged cycles and they said the IUD's would control it . I've had to have three seperate blood trasnfsion because of it. I don't think it's a good idea for those with extreme symptoms of extended cycles.

So now I said..... forget all the medications.... and I am dealing with my PCOS the natural way...... with a supplement..... called MACA. I had one normal cycle so far the first in 11 years. So I am hopeful.

You're right, I forgot to mention that! IUDs are generally not recommended if you have really really heavy periods, because there is a higher chance that it will slip out or move. Plus, for some people the copper IUD can make periods a little heavier and you definitely don't want that if they're so heavy already. I didn't think about it because it's more common to have light or no periods with PCOS, but many women are on the other side of the spectrum. I'm glad you've found something natural that works for you! I may just have to try maca sooner or later.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think its a preference as to what you want and your doctor thinks would work best for you. I have implanon (implant in my upper arm; I knew that arm fat was good for something). Anywhoo I've had it for 3yrs and just got the new one in last year. Works well. I've had a few outbreaks with cysts but no where near as bad as before. :) Good luck!
  • LoveFitNation
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! I have the mirena right now - just got it in dec...and I had asked my doctor and they told me that it was good for me to have it...since then though - I haven't been able to lose a pound (I actually have gained but have lost inches) and I am not having my period anymore - so I just started wondering what happens to those eggs - I don't need or want anymore cysts :/ before I got the IUD - I was actually regular - surprisingly - after having my kids my body just decided to become regular - but I can't stomach birth control - I am up puking through the whole night if I take it :( but I need something bc as much as I love my boys - I don't need another one right this minute...
  • lexif14
    lexif14 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have PCOS and I had an IUD placed unortunetly I was one of the few who gained a crazy amount olf weight I went from 70kgs to 94kgs in just a few months. nothing I did would make me lose it. I had it removed and went back to the pill and lost 14 kgs over a few months. my new doctor said she would never get one and if a doc won't get it then neither will I not after that experience.
  • pland54
    Options
    I am not having my period anymore - so I just started wondering what happens to those eggs - I don't need or want anymore cysts :/ before I got the IUD - I was actually regular - surprisingly - after having my kids my body just decided to become regular - but I can't stomach birth control

Ok, my understanding is that the release of an egg and having a period are related processes, but are not dependent upon one another... each is brought on by a cyclic increase in a different hormone. Many people on certain types of hormonal birth control get very light or no periods because of the hormones, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about eggs. In fact, if I'm correct, hormonal birth control prevents eggs from even being released. My point is that you shouldn't feel like cysts are building up just because you're not having periods. It is likely that the hormones you are taking are preventing cysts, and eggs for that matter.
  • rose_turtle
    rose_turtle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to have a copper IUD before diagnosed as PCOS. I had a 3 month period which prompted the change to Mirena. I still had some cysts visible on ultrasound after a year on the Mirena, but my doc said they were probably not new ones, since we did not have a pre ultrasound to compare to. He said Mirena prevents ovulation, which prevents cysts, but I needed more hormones to get the other symptoms under control. They made me gain 60 pounds (or at least didn't help) so I stopped taking them and my hormone levels have not changed too much (still higher than normal testosterone, but not as bad as pre-nuvaring) . I've lost 20lbs so far, and had one period, but the Mirena can lessen periods anyways, so I'm not concerned. Good luck to you!
  • LoveFitNation
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all the info!!!! ????
  • CupcakeKendra
    CupcakeKendra Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love my Mirena! Just got mine in June 2012. I think it has helped a lot of my PCOS symptoms. It was the best thing I could have ever done! :)
  • Sheenamarie1221
    Options
    I basically just self-diagnosed this last week. I've been suffering with every symptom for yrs now, and i FINALLY found something that fits. I was honestly scared to go to the Dr., but I'm not so much anymore. But I actually found this group and this discussion while googling "IUD linked to PCOS" because I feel like none of this started until AFTER I got mine removed. And the symptoms have just progressed ever since. Am I the only one?