I think I'm doing this wrong! Advice, please!

Options
Hazeleys
Hazeleys Posts: 23 Member
I'm 5'2, currently 124 (up from 115 in the fall), 50 year old female. I don't weigh myself often, but recently my pants have started to feel a little tighter than I'd like. Got on the scale and was shocked at what I saw! Tried not to obsess about the number, but my pants are still bugging me. I can't pinpoint anything that has changed that would cause the weight gain. I work a job where I'm on my feet and running (not literally, but somedays it feels that way) all day long. I lift two to three times a week and have for the past several years - squats, lunges, deadlifts, overhead presses, barbell rows, and some bi/tri/shoulder exercises. I also do some cardio - but not much - about 20 mins. interval-type (walk 4mph 2 mins./run 6/5 mph 1 min) 2 to 3 times a week. So notmuch has changed with the workout except I've upped my weights on most exercises gradually. As far as eating, I (try to) eat pretty clean and haven't changed anything. I've started logging my food over the past several days to see if it would help to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong! I've calculated my BMR - 1244, TDEE- 1929 and have my macros set at 30% protein, 50 % carbs, 20% fat. I have a hard time meeting the protein goal and think maybe somedays I don't eat enough. Never had my BF measured but last time I took measurements , I was about 25%, but not sure I measured correctly (maybe I'll get up the courage to post a pic on your Estimate my BF thread ). Hoping you can provide some feedback/suggestions- I'd like my pants to be a bit looser and I'd like to lose some body fat. I could get over the number on the scale if my pants fit better and if I knew my BF was in a good place. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, currently 124 (up from 115 in the fall), 50 year old female. I don't weigh myself often, but recently my pants have started to feel a little tighter than I'd like. Got on the scale and was shocked at what I saw! Tried not to obsess about the number, but my pants are still bugging me. I can't pinpoint anything that has changed that would cause the weight gain. I work a job where I'm on my feet and running (not literally, but somedays it feels that way) all day long. I lift two to three times a week and have for the past several years - squats, lunges, deadlifts, overhead presses, barbell rows, and some bi/tri/shoulder exercises. I also do some cardio - but not much - about 20 mins. interval-type (walk 4mph 2 mins./run 6/5 mph 1 min) 2 to 3 times a week. So notmuch has changed with the workout except I've upped my weights on most exercises gradually. As far as eating, I (try to) eat pretty clean and haven't changed anything. I've started logging my food over the past several days to see if it would help to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong! I've calculated my BMR - 1244, TDEE- 1929 and have my macros set at 30% protein, 50 % carbs, 20% fat. I have a hard time meeting the protein goal and think maybe somedays I don't eat enough. Never had my BF measured but last time I took measurements , I was about 25%, but not sure I measured correctly (maybe I'll get up the courage to post a pic on your Estimate my BF thread ). Hoping you can provide some feedback/suggestions- I'd like my pants to be a bit looser and I'd like to lose some body fat. I could get over the number on the scale if my pants fit better and if I knew my BF was in a good place. Thanks in advance!

See bold - you need to track your food. Weigh and measure everything. This is a good write up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Have you read through this and worked out your calorie and macro targets?:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Hazeleys
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I had read the write-up on setting calorie and macro targets and used the scooby website to do so. My results are in my original post. Still unsure what my actual intake should be tho - deficit of 15% or 20%? Can you comment on whether my macros will help me achieve my goal of losing body fat? As I said, I'm not so much concerned about the number on the scale, but would like to reduce my bf %. I had not read the first write up until your suggestion. While I do measure most of my food when possible, I don't weigh my food and will be purchasing a food scale asap. I guess I felt that weighing my food was a bit "over the top" for someone who doesn't have much weight to lose, but after reading the post, it makes sense. Also any suggestions you can give for how to increase the amount of protein in my diet would be appreciated. My diary is open, if you have time to take a look. While I've only been tracking for the past 4 or 5 days, I was a religious tracker up until last summer and then found it redundant, since I was just logging the same foods day in and day out (I'm a boring eater!) and I don't typically stray from my usuals. Thanks again for any input or suggestions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You do not have much to lose so I would go with a 10 - 15% deficit.

Macros will not help reduce body fat, a caloric deficit will do that. Getting enough protein and strength training will ensure you do not lose LBM.

Suggestions for protein:

- lean meats
    - fish
    - greek yogurt
    - milk
    - soy/edamame
    - protein powder
    - quinoa/beans (not as high but still decent)
    - some veggies are pretty high such as mushrooms and brussell sprouts
  • Hazeleys
    Options
    thank you.
This discussion has been closed.