What are the best protein bars?

Options
ZozoMonster
ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
I've heard good things about Quest bars but they are in the US so I wondered if anyone had a favourite UK based brand?

Replies

• Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Quest protein bars can be bought from Amazon at £29 for 12 bars+ p&p. They are low carb, gluten free and seem better quality than many rival products. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Vanilla-Almond/dp/B00418TZQ2

Calorie counted snack bars may be an enjoyable treat and the small servings help with portion control but the cake/flapjax/biscuit type bars (including gluten free) available on your supermarket shelves are better for you than expensive 'super ingredient' products from nutrition support organisations (who sell their products to make money from the gullible). If you want high protein snacks, why not snack on a small handful of unsalted nuts (not peanuts), plain sweetened yogurt and sugarfree jelly with frozen berries or small sticks of cheese? (All low carb, gluten free snacks). Achieving the weight and shape you want to be is down to daily quality and quantity of food and exercise as part of a new lifestyle change, not a quick fix with gimmicks.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The Quest protein bars can be bought from Amazon at £29 for 12 bars+ p&p. They are low carb, gluten free and seem better quality than many rival products. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Vanilla-Almond/dp/B00418TZQ2

Calorie counted snack bars may be an enjoyable treat and the small servings help with portion control but the cake/flapjax/biscuit type bars (including gluten free) available on your supermarket shelves are better for you than expensive 'super ingredient' products from nutrition support organisations (who sell their products to make money from the gullible). If you want high protein snacks, why not snack on a small handful of unsalted nuts (not peanuts), plain sweetened yogurt and sugarfree jelly with frozen berries or small sticks of cheese? (All low carb, gluten free snacks). Achieving the weight and shape you want to be is down to daily quality and quantity of food and exercise as part of a new lifestyle change, not a quick fix with gimmicks.

Whilst I appreciate your point of view with regards to protein bars, and even share it to a point, I think there are times when only a protein bar will do and replacing it with either nuts/jelly/cheese.fruit would not have the desired result with regards to your daily nutrition. Those of us that are shooting for 1g of protein per lb of body weight occasionally have to resort to supplements to increase our protein intake, hence consuming protein shakes, bars etc. They do tend to give a concentrated shot of protein in one go, therefore and handy to eat on the go for a quick boost to your macro's. You cannot get this amount of protein from jelly/peanuts/fruit unfortunately.

With regards to the OP's original question...I have found Maximuscle to be the nicest protein bars IMO. But it's really down to personal taste and how close to nature you like your bars I suppose. I can't think of any I buy from supermarkets or health food shops that aren't packed with artificial sweeteners, additives etc. As I said I only buy them occasionally for a quick fix (if I'm doing a long shift at work etc) so I've never done much research into finding more natural bars.