Atkins Bars.... weight loss success?

Options
Anyone using the Atkins bars for meals and snacks, and having success at losing weight? I am nearly 2.5 weeks in to induction, and have almost lost 3 pounds. I'm losing so slowly, and its starting to frustrate me. I stay at 20g of net carbs or less, I run 3 times a week, and I'm staying away from diet sodas. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

I am 149 lbs, and my first goal weight is 140 lbs, so I'm looking to lose 9 lbs.

Replies

• BlessedWith3
    Options
    Hi! There are mixed opinion then it comes to Atkins bars during weight loss. Many folks are sensitive to the sugar alcohols...it stalls their weight loss. Personally, I only use them in a pinch. I keep on in my purse just in case.

Because you have less to lose, I suspect you won't get the big weightloss in induction as someone who has 60 pounds to lose.

Do you monitor ketosis?
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The Atkins products stall me completely. I guess the sugar alcohols don't work with me. The last time I did Atkins, I would eat those bars religiously for breakfast. Stuck with it for 2 months and only lost 5 pounds. This go-around, no Atkins products and I am nearly 5 months in and 32 pounds down. At least with me, the bars and shakes were the problem.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I did Atkins back in December, I actually gained 1 pound during the 2 week induction. I was eating the bars daily. I just started a low carb eating ( not Atkins really, just below or around 50g) and I seem to be doing much better this time around without them.

So, for me the bars caused a problem!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate chip "daybreak" bar. I've used them more this time around (I lost most of my weight last year), I have found that it is a bit more difficult. I eat one daily right now. The daybreak (smaller) one. I don't know if the slower weight loss is due to the bars or because I have so little to lose, but I think there is a difference between my reaction to the daybreak bars vice the meal replacements. I think because there are more total carbs in the latter. I don't subtract the sugar alcohols because that method doesn't seem to work for me. I count the total carbs minus the fiber. They add up quickly.

That being said, I am going to stop using them as soon as I learn to make my muffin in a minute the night before. I get up at 430 so need something that is easy in the morning.

Edited to add: I wouldn't recommend them on a daily basis if you can do without them. I think they are good for a carb "fix," but not daily as a meal replacement.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I started out on Atkins, but then decided to do an extended induction except my version is a bit more like a keto diet than the induction diet (although, both are fairly similar any way.)

I did notice that I had better success when I weaned myself off the Atkins products. They work for some, but not all. If you are planning on doing an extended induction, I would try doing one month without them to see if your weight loss picks up.

As far as the speed of weight loss is concerned though it might very depending on how heavy you are now. For example, I started out at 225 (218 technically when I joined MFP) and it's been a little over 3 months and I now weigh 194. I have a lot of weight to lose, so it's going to go faster at first, and then slow down once I get smaller.
  • gwdawson
    gwdawson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The sugar alcohols are really not appropriate for the induction phase of Atkins. But, then again, a two week induction is also not appropriate for someone who only has 9 pounds to lose. The Atkins products will all say on the packaging whether or not it is OK during the induction phase. You should make a careful review of the Atkins program, which consist of several diet "phases." As one approaches the target weight (yes, only 9 pounds to go qualifies as approaching target weight), carb levels should be experimented with to determine what carbs you tolerate well and which ones to avoid. For example, carbs with a low glycemic index are good for me.

I know I've only lost 7 pounds and have been part of MFP for only a week, but I have a lot of experience with the Atkins Diet. Many years ago, I lost 40 pounds and kept it off for about 4 years, then slowly crept back up. My son showed me MFP and talked me into getting fit again. I "only" have 35 pounds to lose, but will not use any Atkins products until my two week induction is over. My current carb intake is about 20 per day. After induction, phase two will increase to about 30-40 carbs per day with weight loss expected at 2-3 pounds per week.

With the MFP tools, I'm noticing that my low carb diet is really a low calorie diet as well.

Good Luck! Those 9 pounds will be gone before you know it!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem with Atkins bars or treats. However, I don't eat them religiously. I eat a meal bar in a pinch or am too tired to make breakfast. I eat the treat bars when I need a chocolate fix. It gets spendy to eat them everyday.
  • drlynned
    drlynned Posts: 34
    Options
    I do have ketostix to measure ketosis.... I always come in at the lightest positive color. Is this a bad thing? I had read somewhere that it doesn't matter what color its in, as long as its positive, but I don't know if that's true.

All of the atkins bars that I'm currently using state that they are appropriate for all phases of atkins. I cook my own meals as much as possible, but there are times when I have to use the meal replacement bars. I need to be able to have something these bars for whenever I'm in a pinch. Does anyone know if the Quest bars are any better?
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I lost 67 pounds over about 9 months and ate an Atkins bar for snack every night. Now, my weight loss has slowed, so I'm considering weaning off of the bars, unless I'm in a pinch, like someone above mentioned. I really don't think the bars are the problem for me, but I need to figure out what the trigger is. I tend to snack on almonds, probably more than I should.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to the above poster. I ate a Meal bar every day between lunch and the gym, to fill me up. I lost 62 lbs in 9 months. I had a lot to lose (and still do). After October, my weight loss stalled for a crazy long time.

My new plan does not include the bars every day but I will still be carrying them with me just in case.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I really love the Quest bars since they don't have sugar alcohols and I love the texture of them.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I do have ketostix to measure ketosis.... I always come in at the lightest positive color. Is this a bad thing? I had read somewhere that it doesn't matter what color its in, as long as its positive, but I don't know if that's true.

All of the atkins bars that I'm currently using state that they are appropriate for all phases of atkins. I cook my own meals as much as possible, but there are times when I have to use the meal replacement bars. I need to be able to have something these bars for whenever I'm in a pinch. Does anyone know if the Quest bars are any better?

That's fantastic! I wanted to make sure the bars weren't keeping you from ketosis. Even though the scales may not be going down as fast as you had thought, the fact that you are in ketosis means your fat storage is getting smaller thus you are getting smaller.