Help, thoughts on my eating

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
Ok I will admit...I HATE counting calories. So I find it easier to just pretty much (unless I happen to be out, which is rare) eat the same thing at every meal. My goal is 100g of protein per day and too try to drink more water. So here is my usual day...thoughts?
Anything that may be good to add in or take out?

Breakfast at 8am - Egg white and oatmeal pancake, coffee, water
Protein Shake at 10:30am - 1 cup of unsweet almond milk with 1 scoop of protein powder
Lunch at 12:30 - 1 large piece of grilled chicken, a veg and brown rice
Protein Shake at 2:30pm- 1 cup of unsweet almond milk with 1 scoop of protein powder
Dinner at 5pm- Grilled chicken, a large salad with low fat dressing and lots of veggies

Snack if necessary - FF Cottage Cheese, Low Fat Greek Yogurt or a handful of Almonds

Replies

• Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ok I will admit...I HATE counting calories. So I find it easier to just pretty much (unless I happen to be out, which is rare) eat the same thing at every meal. My goal is 100g of protein per day and too try to drink more water. So here is my usual day...thoughts?

Protein Shake at 10:30am - 1 cup of unsweet almond milk with 1 scoop of protein powder
    Protein Shake at 2:30pm- 1 cup of unsweet almond milk with 1 scoop of protein powder
    Dinner at 5pm- Grilled chicken, a large salad with low fat dressing and lots of veggies

Snack if necessary - FF Cottage Cheese, Low Fat Greek Yogurt or a handful of Almonds

No offense, but I would seriously get bored eating the same thing every day. I do get hung up on things I like to eat, eat them til I burn out and move on to the next thing. You could try replacing some chicken with some ground turkey or turkey burger. I use whole wheat pita pockets for my bun, because I am not a bread person. Lots of protein there. I use ground turkey in place of ground beef. I make homemade turkey sloppy joes, yum. Breakfast varies because I am egg sensitive and too many can really mess me up. I like BLTs, oatmeal with 1/2 serving peanut butter mixed in, I use the oatmeal with flax seed, sometimes egg sandwich if I'm feeling brave and have a bathroom close by. Sometimes yogurt, protein shake or protein bar. Since my egg incident, breakfast isn't my biggest meal anymore. I have to have my chocolate milk every day too. Avocados are yummy too. Great filler if running low on cals for the day.

Once you start adding in different food MFP will start remembering your entries so that does make things easier. And if it has a barcode I scan it. My diary is open to friends so feel free to add me if you want.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I mean if you feel fine and you are progressing on that diet then I say you are doing well. One thing I noticed though is that there really isn't any fat in that menu, so I would say that you might want to incorporate some healthy fats. Do you have any idea how many calories that is....like where you are eating in relation to TDEE?

Is there a particular reason why you are asking? has something changed? Also, what are your goals?
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks, I should clarify. I agree...boring and I know I cannot do it forever but I really want to give 100% over the next 12 weeks to diet and exercise so this is my plan for the next 12 week...then I will become alittle more open to some variety.
  • kopmom
    Options
    I mean if you feel fine and you are progressing on that diet then I say you are doing well. One thing I noticed though is that there really isn't any fat in that menu, so I would say that you might want to incorporate some healthy fats. Do you have any idea how many calories that is....like where you are eating in relation to TDEE?

Is there a particular reason why you are asking? has something changed? Also, what are your goals?

I do add avacado to my salad and usually roast my veggies with EVOO and kosher salt...that would be adding some fat, right?
    I am asking because I really just know for me to do well the next 12 weeks I need to just stay on a eating plan that is the same, balanced and going to help me lower my BF BUT at the same time still give me the energy I need to lift

I have no clue how many calories it is or my TDEE
  • kopmom
    Options
    Just did a online calculator for TDEE and it said 2657...does that sound accurate?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Just did a online calculator for TDEE and it said 2657...does that sound accurate?

It could be, you didn't' tell us how active you were or how big but its not an outrageous number ---

and I think your meal plan is way way too low cal. And ..urgh. I have a meeting in 5 minutes and I'm gonna be late so I'll be back, but I have some ideas on changing it up without you having to log food.
  • kopmom
    Options

It could be, you didn't' tell us how active you were or how big but its not an outrageous number ---

and I think your meal plan is way way too low cal. And ..urgh. I have a meeting in 5 minutes and I'm gonna be late so I'll be back, but I have some ideas on changing it up without you having to log food.

Great Thanks !
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    If you can tell us your height, weight and activity level (what kind of job you have as well as how many times per week you workout and what you do for exercise) that will help a lot.

I do agree with Tameko in that in seems low....although with some avocado and EVOO in there it definitely helps.

One way you can find out how accurate that menu is, is to enter it into your diary and see where you land in terms of calories and macros.

12 weeks is a long time to spend on the same meals, day in and day out though. There are so many options....maybe you can come up with some different combinations to just add some variety. If that is you in the picture, well, you don't have a lot to lose, so sustainability is key.

Also, you didn't mention what your goals are. That will also help to determine which direction you should be going :)
  • tameko2
    Options
    Ok - are you allergic or intolerant to any foods? Vegetarian? I think the set meal idea is fine if that's what you want to do -- i'd shake it up a little with having maybe 2 options for each meal instead of 1. Also I'd plan to do it in 4 week chunks, evaluate what you do every 4 weeks, take pictures for progress,and plan to potentially change it at 8 weeks, UNLESS you see something crazy happen at 4 weeks, either crazy amounts of gain or loss (anything over 4ish lbs I'd call crazy as you look like you're already pretty small) you'd stick with it for 8 then evaluate where you're at at 8.

Also one more thing about the set meal plan is - it needs to be semi-realistic long term. Not eating the same thing every day, but the types of food, etc.

IF I was going to torture myself like this (and if I ate 5 times a day, which I don't and loathe doing), for my caloric intake currently (2200 to lose weight) I'd do something like ....

....to be continued, because now I have to run and catch my bus. But regardless, it'd have real milk, whole eggs, and more food, total.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Ok - are you allergic or intolerant to any foods? Vegetarian?

I eat whatever, but I do find carbs blot me alot so I try to stay away from too much. Thanks for the feedback !
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I noticed that while you mention vegetables, there is no fruit. The natural sugars would be good fuel replenishment. Maybe throw some in one of your shakes, or switch out some of the veg's at one meal.
  • tameko2
    Options
    OH LOOK! I FINALLY HAVE SOME FREE TIME.

Ok sooooooo

I'm gonna assume you actually enjoy eating 5 times a day and stick to your schedule. I'd do this:
    Breakfast:
    2 egg omelette with vegetables and an ounce of cheese, (~300 cals) OR overnight oats with milk, dried fruit, and nuts (~400 cals, obviously depending on portion size but 1/2 cup of dry oats is 150 cals, 1/2 cup of milk for ~50 cals, half an ounce of walnuts is 100 cals, an ounce of dried fruit ~100 cals)

Snack
    Protein shake with milk (~200 calories, varies a bit depending on what % milk you drink and what powder), piece of fruit (apple or orange, 80 cals) OR 2% greek yogurt with some nuts or granola sprinkled in (~200)

Lunch
    Chicken, brown rice, vegetables (roughly 600, depending on portion sizes and if you use oil to cook anything) OR a pita pocket sandwich with low fat turkey or tuna mixed with salsa, cheese and veggies in the sandwich (roughly 450)

Snack
    Protein shake with milk (~200 calories, varies a bit depending on what % milk you drink and what powder), piece of fruit (apple or orange, 80 cals) OR 2% greek yogurt with some nuts or granola sprinkled in (~200)

Dinner
    Chicken salad with REAL dressing (roughly 600 unless you're one of those people who drenches your salad in dressing in which case...go back to low fat), or any meat/fish, veggies, and a baked sweet potato. (roughly 600 as well depending again on portion size and oil)

If you stick to those, and mix and match, that's getting you to about 1900-2100 calories a day, high protein, and still getting in decent amounts of dietary fat. And then any of the snacks you mentioned would add a couple hundred cals, bringing you to 2100-2300, which is a good amount to start with and see how you do, like I said, 4 week periods. You could also have a snack of a few pieces of dark chocolate, for example, and still be within a good range.

Also if I had to eat this way every day for more than 4 days I'd punch a baby in the mouth, but that's me, other people do it and seem to be very happy with it. Also if you want to ditch a snack because you get sick of eating so often, ditch a protein shake and use olive oil on your veggies/more nuts in your oatmeal. That will up your omega 3s and replace those calories.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thank you sooo much, very helpful !!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and usually eat the same thing unless I go out to eat (although I usually go out three times a week). Breakfast is a spoonful of peanut butter and soy milk (thinking about adding a protein shake because I'm short calories on days I don't go out and usually short on protein). Lunch is a cup of something that I've cooked as a main dish (chili or stirfry or something), a side of 100g of chicken (yes, I treat chicken as a side dish, and it's shredded so somehow that makes it better), six ounces of veggies (roasted in olive oil) and a small apple. Mid morning and mid afternoon snack of a serving of cottage cheese (currently low fat but waffle between that and full fat). Dinners a big *kitten* salad with spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, 100g chicken, and dressing made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. On Saturdays, it's a big *kitten* salad for lunch and dinner. However, that's only about 1500 calories, so I often fill in with another spoonful of peanut butter. Working on balancing this out better (hence the protein shake consideration).

It works for me. My lunch main meal I'll cook on the weekends in huge batches and freeze in individual portions. Last one I made had 42 cups. So, I have lunch for 42 days. Eating like this has never bothered me, but it would drive some people crazy. Also helps that I'm single so no one else has to suffer through my craziness. I also find it's cheaper to batch cook.