Phase 2 - cardio 2

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Cardio 2 is a 33-minute circuit training workout that you perform twice a week for the second phase of the program. There is no warm-up in this workout as you immediately start into the first circuit. There is only one circuit in this workout but it is repeated three times back-to-back and the workout ends with a short cool down/stretch. The circuit consists of 14 exercises performed for 30 seconds each with no rest in between. The circuit consists of the following exercises: jump rope, butt kicks, high knees, alternating knee thrusts, jumping jacks, fast feet, skaters, skiers, plié hops, cross jacks, upper cuts, towel runs, hooks and burpees.

Replies

• a_new_dawn
    Options
    Day 1 done! It wasn't as bad as i expected, but i did get a bit of a sweat on and got a burn of just over 300 cals so it's not what i'd consider easy either. For me, i think i can cope reasonably well with cardio is because i did 17 days of insanity before changing to BR, and that's some crazy cardio. I thought the transitions between moves are getting quicker in C2. A definite step up from C1.

Jillian has some interesting things to say in this workout, she never fails to amaze or amuse me. David kinda freaks me out though in fast feet...think king kong!! Wow, he's a big dude. Nuff said.
  • tpotey
    tpotey Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    David kinda freaks me out though in fast feet...think king kong!! Wow, he's a big dude. Nuff said.

Too funny but so true. I did cardio 2 last night for the first time and I hate it. Too much jumping.......:angry:
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    hard work!

although i think i am starting to get the hand of fast feet! so something is improving!
  • Gana1017
    Gana1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was wheezing after this workout but I definitely like it better than cardio 1 it’s easier to push through 30 sec than a min, hopefully Saturday I will be able to handle this better, I'm enjoying phase 2 so far...
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    hard work!

although i think i am starting to get the hand of fast feet! so something is improving!

Yay for fast feet!! Shake what your momma gave you!! :laugh:

I was wheezing after this workout but I definitely like it better than cardio 1 it’s easier to push through 30 sec than a min, hopefully Saturday I will be able to handle this better, I'm enjoying phase 2 so far...

I prefer C2 to C1 as well, even though high knees still make an appearance! The 30 second sets do go quite quickly and i think it helps you put more effort into more "painful" moves like plies. I'm really not a fan of repeating the same circuit 3 times though, a pattern that all of the cardio sessions follow - i'd much rather it was different exercises in each circuit like the workouts format. :ohwell:
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I loved this!!
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just did this for the first time today and it was tough. I only did the cardio for phase 1 twice (last Saturday and Sunday) because the first time I popped in the DVD I got to the suicides and quit because Jillian expects everyone to have living rooms big enough for suicides but I don't, so I probably wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I'd been doing the stationary bike on cardio days instead of the videos, and I know I never pushed myself hard enough. I had to stop a few times during this video, mainly during the burpees, and overall I think I did well for the first round. My goal is conquer the burpees by the end of the month. :)
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I just did this for the first time today and it was tough. I only did the cardio for phase 1 twice (last Saturday and Sunday) because the first time I popped in the DVD I got to the suicides and quit because Jillian expects everyone to have living rooms big enough for suicides but I don't, so I probably wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I'd been doing the stationary bike on cardio days instead of the videos, and I know I never pushed myself hard enough. I had to stop a few times during this video, mainly during the burpees, and overall I think I did well for the first round. My goal is conquer the burpees by the end of the month. :)

Perhaps you could do "windmills" or "skaters" instead of suicides?

You'll smash those burpees in a few weeks time.. you'll see!
  • sharijoy
    Options
    My fitbit says I burn more calories doing my elliptical then the cardio workout that came with Body Rev. I actually enjoy the cardio DVD more but I'd rather burn more calories.

Question: Anyone see a reason to do the cardio dvd instead of the elliptical? I know the videos get harder each phase so I don't want to not be able to do something on one of the strength DVDs later if the cardio DVDs build up to it. However, if they stand alone, I'm doing the elliptical instead.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hard work!

Yay for fast feet!! Shake what your momma gave you!! :laugh:

I also wish the circuit didn't repeat three times, but thank God it's only 30 second intervals this time! I hate those cross jacks.
  • thevegankelly
    Options
    My fitbit says I burn more calories doing my elliptical then the cardio workout that came with Body Rev. I actually enjoy the cardio DVD more but I'd rather burn more calories.

Question: Anyone see a reason to do the cardio dvd instead of the elliptical? I know the videos get harder each phase so I don't want to not be able to do something on one of the strength DVDs later if the cardio DVDs build up to it. However, if they stand alone, I'm doing the elliptical instead.

I think the benefit of doing the cardio DVDs is that the moves you're doing are functional, and they all pop up in one way or another in the strength DVDs. Plus I think Jillian picks certain cardio moves because of how they force your muscles to work in different ways, whereas on an elliptical you're doing one action over and over again.
  • cristino1985
    cristino1985 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Was so scared of doing cardio 2 for the first time today but I did it and I lived to tell the tale, a definite step up from cardio 1 but like people have said before the 30 secs is definitely easier to push through!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

I think the benefit of doing the cardio DVDs is that the moves you're doing are functional, and they all pop up in one way or another in the strength DVDs. Plus I think Jillian picks certain cardio moves because of how they force your muscles to work in different ways, whereas on an elliptical you're doing one action over and over again.

Agreed! Id go for the DVD too.
  • thevegankelly
    Options

I did the cardio 2 for the third time today and it was a huge improvement from where I was last week. I think I only stopped for a breather once, and I was able to get through all the burpees, even though I could only do half as many as the people in the video were doing. I also stopped tripping all over myself doing cross jacks. I love it when I can see myself making progress!
  • lolaluv4
    lolaluv4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was terrified. Cardio one was my worst enemy it made me sick. I almost skipped this morning bc i figured even though i made a lot of progress with cardio one i couldnt possibly be ready tomove on but i did it anyway and it was sooo much easier!! I think doing everything for 30 seconds was helpful. Not going to lie i was covered in sweat and plie hops hurt but completely doable. Did u see david fly through the air like a dolphin out of the ocean during burpees?! I think im in love!! <3
  • 2007me
    2007me Posts: 6
    Options
    I did cardio 2 for the first day today and my heart rate monitor told me I burned 460 calories! I believe it because it was HARD and I sweat buckets! My knees are starting to feel all the jumping though. Does anyone have any recommendations for that? Maybe ice after?

I was really scared that phase 2 would kill me, but I'm so proud of myself for making it through the first 3 days :) I am definitely getting stronger, and my muscles have been sore this week so I feel like its working!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Brilliant work ladies - cardio isn't a girl's best friend sometimes but i'm so proud of you for pushing through it!

Sweat is GOOD - it means you're doing it right!!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I did cardio 2 for the first day today and my heart rate monitor told me I burned 460 calories! I believe it because it was HARD and I sweat buckets! My knees are starting to feel all the jumping though. Does anyone have any recommendations for that? Maybe ice after?

I was really scared that phase 2 would kill me, but I'm so proud of myself for making it through the first 3 days :) I am definitely getting stronger, and my muscles have been sore this week so I feel like its working!

Fantastic burn!! GO YOU!!!

Those knees do take some punishment in phase 2 & 3, lots more plyo! Try to land softly on a slightly bent knee rather that stiff legs, ensure you have supportive footwear, and do the workout on a carpeted area rather than a bare floor, helps cushion the blow for me!
  • 2007me
    2007me Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!