What are you eating on the Whole30?

Options
Christie0428
Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
So I just started the whole 30 today. I am looking for ideas as to what to make. I just ordered the Practical Paleo cookbook, but I am looking for ideas for before it arrives.

This is what I'm eating:

Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with sauteed onions and swiss chard

Lunch: huge salad with field greens, lots of parsley, shredded carrot, brocculi slaw, 1/2 avacado topped with sauteed onion & Pepper and ground grassfed beef (taco meat style - but with spices rather than the taco seasoning that has cornmeal and added sugar)

DInner: sauteed spinach with broiled haddock with lemon juice, garlic, S&P

Snack: orange

What are other ideas for meals??

Snack ideas? are you eating fruits? the whole 30 website said limited fruits... what do you make of that? 1/day, 2 a day???

Replies

• Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Today's menu:

Steak and Eggs
    Apple for snack - was going to dip in Sunbutter, but found out my Sunbutter wasn't compliant, so I need to get some Almond butter
    :(
    Lunch was Fiesta Tuna Salad with home made mayo and 1/2 a cucumber and 1c of baby carrots
    Snack was large handful of Almonds
    Dinner is shrimp sauteed in coconut milk over cauliflower rice
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 6.

The first few days were boring with just roasted chicken, steamed veggies, salads, and boiled eggs.

For the past couple of meals I made a soup with green beans, spinach, pork, shrimp, taro root, and carrots in ginger and tamarind broth.

Recently for breakfast, I boiled a sweet potato or plantain and mashed it with coconut oil and fruit. Paired with eggs.

Tomorrow I'm making Chicken and Pork sausage gumbo with califlower rice (from paleomg.com). :bigsmile:
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    U can look at my food journal and see what I'm having!! :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Whole30 but had to come here to sneak a peak since I eat primal/paleo. I love the recipe book Practical Paleo, and have a bunch of other Paleo/Primal recipe books. Spent a couple of hours book-marking recipes this weekend. These books have really helped me reduce dairy quite effortlessly.

Great foods there! The only thing that I would suggest, based on my experience, might be to add lots of healthy fat to anything and everything. It will cut down the need for really big food servings (re: "huge salad").

Edit: totally agree that many people benefit from limiting fruit. I might have fruit once per week and not a banana. (Well, more often if we are counting tomatoes and avocados.) Fruit is very problematic for me and I get all those nutrients from vegetables.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Day 16 for me.

Breakfast - 1/2 sweet potato, roasted - cinnamon - nutmeg - berries - raw nut butter.
    Lunch - spinach salad with EVOO and balsamic, chili and avocado
    Dinner - shrimp, avocado and lime salad (very yummy!)

I've been pre-cooking protein and freezing - that has worked well for me. I have balsamic chicken, chili, curried beef and pork roast cooked, portioned and frozen so I can just grab and go.

Breakfast has been the most difficult meal for me - and as I am now out of sweet potato I have no clue what to have tomorrow morning!

All the best to you on your journey.
  • tantinah
    tantinah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Snack ideas? are you eating fruits? the whole 30 website said limited fruits... what do you make of that? 1/day, 2 a day???

My take on the fruit was that you can have fruit as long as you are not using the fruit to feed your sugar cravings. I would guess that 2-3 servings of fruit is fine.

Tried a butternut squash hash for breakfast today - it was delicious!

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/01/apple-butternut-squash-bacon-breakfast.html
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    THank you all. THis is helpful!

so another question, when you use coconut milk do you buy the refrigerated carton or the can? Yesterday I went looking at whole foods... the refrigerated carton had like 10 ingredients including sugar, even in the unsweetened one... so I bought the canned organic coconut milk which has three ingredients: water, milk and guar gum.

... what the heck is guar gum, yeah I didn't know either so I just googled it - it is a thickener and made form teh guar bean ... so it that a legume and we shouldn't have it on the whole30?
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk from the can!

I buy Thai Kitchen. I'm 90% sure guar gum is compliant...but anyone else want to put their 2c in?
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 6 of the Whole30, and my biggest problem is the sheer amount of time I've spent in the kitchen or shopping this week. My husband and I both work full time, Crossfit, and I work for our Crossfit box as well. For breakfast, we've been eating either a frittata or NomNomPaleo's spicy tuna cakes. Lunches have been leftovers - I doubled the amount of protein that we cook for dinners so we would have leftovers. For dinners, we've eaten venison tenderloin with sauteed squash and onions, curried meatballs(everyday paleo) with roasted broccoli, crockpot chicken with roasted butternut squash and green beans sauteed with bacon, and taco(ish) meat with salad, avocado, etcetera. It's been delicious but I'm SO tired of spending hours in the kitchen! Anyone else having issues with that?
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I definitely ate fruit on the Whole 30, but never indulged or used as a dessert. I usually had a banana at lunch, maybe an apple or orange or something at lunch, and rarely a piece of fruit at dinner.

I eat lots of sweet potatoes, avocado, spinach and kale (now eating more swiss chard), squashes, bacon, organic sausage, lots of meat with various spices, Brussels sprouts, stews, soups. I pretty much ate for lunch what I ate for dinner the night before so it cut down on having to think of meals. We bought the Practical Paleo cookbook almost right away so it really cut down on having to be creative, we just did the Whole30 compliant recipes!

You HAVE to buy coconut milk from the can. The cartons contain carrageenan which are not compliant and off-limits. Guar gum is fine, I believe.