Anyone training for their first Half Marathon

Options
lcgoss
lcgoss Posts: 10 Member
Hi I'm Luci. I am training for my first Half marathon in May. I am challenged because I am not so young any more and I just recently moved to Colorado so I also run at 7500ft. I am determined to give it my best shot!!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It is my favorite distance. We were in Edwards for a family reunion last June and I could have done without that elevation! And I have several years on you so you are plenty young enough :) I'm Mark and if you ever have any questions just let me know (done 11 marathons and I think about 30 halves)
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my half marathon training in 2 weeks, for a race at the end of May. I live in Colorado so I understand the challenge of the altitude! My last 2 half marathons were when I lived in Phoenix - huge altitude difference. Add me as a friend, if you'd like! :)
  • mdsl01
    mdsl01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am! I am running a half in Thailand in 9 weeks, I am a bit scared after reading about the animals in the jungle there but it can only help me run faster ;) best of luck with your running
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Kind of... I haven't signed up for one yet, but have started a training plan. Unfortunately it hasn't got off to a good start as it keeps getting interrupted by other commitments, but I haven't given up on it!
    I'm hoping it will also help me make better food choices.
    Good luck.
  • sngglebune
    sngglebune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm training for one but I haven't signed up yet. I was hoping to run in one coming up in April but it looks like it may conflict with work. At any rate, I'm still training for one because I'm looking to run one in the area this year.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks in training for a half in April and for another in May (Flying Pig)
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I recently completed my own personal half marathon in 2:09:33. I am looking to run the 2013 Dam to Dam here in central Iowa in June. It's a 20K race. If that goes well I'll begin training for a full marathon in October. If the 20K is a struggle for me I'll likely just run the half marathon option in October.
  • dfquigley
    Options
    I've covered the distance in training a couple of times, but may do my first official half marathon in april.

I have a half Iron Triathlon in June to contend with as well, so I had to do the training either way :p
  • jennieb75
    jennieb75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half on May 5. Vancouver's BMO half marathon. I'm hoping I can get running more regularly but it's hard with two 1year olds running around and working shift work. :-)
    Good luck everyone!!
  • dfquigley
    Options
    Just hit 1:56:49, a 9 minute PR on my Half Marathon distance training run tonight!!

This was after a 2,000m 45 min swim, an hour of weights, devouring an entire pizza and blizzard, and having to stop to pee at the half-way mark :p

Great run!

Shooting for a 1:45 by my Half Marathon scheduled in April if at all possible!
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did the farthest of mine at a 15k last year. This year will be my first half. I won't get serious about training until the weather gets warm - for now I am moderately just trying to keep my endurance on the treadmill. I am excited to start running the pavement soon :)
  • Komeara1990
    Options
    Training for my second at the end of March...hoping to get my time down a bit :)
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just PR'ed my last Half on Feb. 2nd at 1:35:24!!! I love this distance. Running a full March 17th and another Half April 14th. Then will plan another Full in the fall. Goal is to make Boston one day!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    training for my 3rd next month (and 4th, 2 weeks later)

Happy to share what little experience I have and lessons learnt, and offer encouragement of course :-)
  • Bug2love
    Bug2love Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half in June in Milwalkee. Signed up for quite a few races before that to help keep me on track.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My best friend runs halfs all the time. This year will be my first. Longest run is 15k so far. The one I have signed up for so far is in August, but I may be doing one in Milwaukee in June. Not sure if I'll be ready, but I'm trying!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    First half 24th March, that a practice of the course last week and managed 1.5008. Looking for 1.45 on race day
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Jules from the UK here. I only started running in January and am booked onto my first half marathon in October!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm in Colorado too and running my first Half Marathon in a week and a half (March 16)...over in Moab, Utah. I think the elevation there is 4000 something, but I've been training in Montrose, which is 5700-ish. I'll also be running my second half marathon in August, in the mountains (Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon on August 10th). Always lookng for more running friends and Coloradoans!!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My first half is in late Sept here in London.

Currently my best times are

5k - 23:18
    10k - 47:08
    15k - upcoming in July

Looking forward to the half marathon. Ideally I'd be able to do it in 1:45 but any time under 2h I'll be happy with. Should be good.