Sore Shins After 1st Run/Walk

Options
Gatus98
Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
The muscle right over my shins is very sore two days after D1W1. I'm sure it's just a matter of conditioning it, but is it ok to continue training through the soreness? I've made the mistake in the past of setting myself back because I didn't let my knees recover. I don't want do the same with my shins, but would rather tough it out and keep going. I don't have access to a treadmill or anything like that, that might be less impact. I have to run on pavement.

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Ice them and make sure you are stretching out really well. If they aren't recovering with a day of rest in between sessions, take an extra one if you need to. I had the same thing - it got better after the first few weeks. (and MUCH better after I got different shoes).
  • Gatus98
    Options
    Ice them and make sure you are stretching out really well. If they aren't recovering with a day of rest in between sessions, take an extra one if you need to. I had the same thing - it got better after the first few weeks. (and MUCH better after I got different shoes).
    Which shoes do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Heel striking is a major culprit of shin splints - make sure your feet are landing under your body, not out in front of you. Another common issue is small shoes. Your toes try to mitigate pounding against the front of your shoe by altering your stride, which throws off your whole balance. Make sure your shoes have a thumbnail width of space at the toe (a half to a full size larger than your street shoes)

I used to have terrible shin splints when I racewalked, which emphasizes a heel strike when training. I asked an experienced racewalker and then my doctor and found that it's not an actual injury or anything. It'll go away when your muscle warm up. Somebody on this site posted something about compression sleeves, and that seemed to work for them.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Which shoes do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Which shoes are appropriate really depends on your own personal stride and foot mechanics. I went to a running store and got fitted - ended up with mizuno wave inspires and a shoe insert with a heel cup. Everybody's needs are different though.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Heel striking is a major culprit of shin splints - make sure your feet are landing under your body, not out in front of you. Another common issue is small shoes. Your toes try to mitigate pounding against the front of your shoe by altering your stride, which throws off your whole balance. Make sure your shoes have a thumbnail width of space at the toe (a half to a full size larger than your street shoes)

I used to have terrible shin splints when I racewalked, which emphasizes a heel strike when training. I asked an experienced racewalker and then my doctor and found that it's not an actual injury or anything. It'll go away when your muscle warm up. Somebody on this site posted something about compression sleeves, and that seemed to work for them.

I had heard compression socks can help as well - never tried it though.
  • sammiz1
    sammiz1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you are running/walking on a treadmill, I have also heard that setting the incline to 1% will help. When you are set at zero, my trainer said that you are actually walking down hill a bit. So just a touch of incline can help level things off.

That said, I have had that pain myself, and have noticed as others replied that it goes away as the muscles warm up.

Good luck with your program!!
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing happen to me. I rested for a few days and got actual running shoes (yes, novice runner who was just pounding the pavement in some bottom dollar sketchers) The shoes made a huge difference. I completed the program without anymore issues.
  • Gatus98
    Options
    Thank you for all the great information! I'm such a novice runner. I need all the help I can get.