Forced to be Sedentary

Options
jsielke
jsielke Posts: 10 Member
About 5 years ago i weighed 233 pounds, and was close to needing supplemental oxygen. I booted myself in the butt, started watching what I ate, first with WW, then with MyFitnesspal, and started exercising. I am now at 165 pounds, and feeling great. I normally go to the gym for a 2.5 hour workout 3X a week, and I do Sun Tai Chi 2X a week and 2 hours of Wu Tai Chi 3X a week. I also like to walk the trails at Parvin State Park (in NJ) , usually about 3.5 miles.

I had bunion surgery on my right foot December 7. I was off my feet on crutches for 3 weeks, and with a pneumatic boot for another 3 weeks, then I got back to my exercise schedule. I had my left foot done February 21, so am back on crutches again, and going stir-crazy not being able to exercise as usual. I have another 2 weeks on crutches, then the boot, etc.

I tried some seated exercises, including seated Qi Gong. Doesn't feel like I am accomplishing much, although my RHYTHM armband says I burned 109 calories in about 30 minutes of seated exercise.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I get the sense that you're looking for something to do in an attempt to keep some activity level going and not be completely sedentary?
  • jsielke
    Options
    Yes, I am going stir-crazy just sitting around! To think I used to be such a couch potato.:explode:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One-legged pushups, sit ups? Other floor exercises? I would think just walking around on crushes is quite an activity!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say this just because I did a lot of bench presses today...
    With a bar and some weights you could be the next popeye :tongue:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say this just because I did a lot of bench presses today...
    With a bar and some weights you could be the next popeye :tongue:

lolololol I love this answer :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just noticed that we did not really answer your question so bumping up so we do not forget.
  • jsielke
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the seated Qi Gong will do for one more week. After I get the pin out of my toe, I can go to the gym, and do the dynamometer, and maybe even the stationary bike, as well as my usual upper body weight work. That should be March 14. At least I haven't gained any weight the last couple of weeks.:happy:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I had both feet done at once a couple of years ago and all I could do was chair exercising. Hang in there, soon you'll be dancing on your new toes!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry - a bit late here, but do you have any exercise equipment at home?
  • jsielke
    Options
    I have a Schwinn Airdyne, and I started a few days ago just using my arms, for 30 minutes. Really good upper body/cardio. I hadn't thought of using it that way before.:ohwell:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How is your progress coming along?
This discussion has been closed.