Hurt my hamstring?

Options
jmm083
jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
I think I hurt my hamstring. Since I am basically a novice at all of this I *think * it's my hamstring. I started to feel something this morning as I was walking up the stairs. It was a strained feeling in the back of my leg (to half of my leg, above the knee). Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Ice it? Elevate it? Should I take a rest from working out? I am going to Las Vegas next week so I am afraid of straining it further and not being able to walk at all. I am really bummed out. I was doing so well, working out 9 of the last 12 days.

Replies

• bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    Stretch:
    Here's a few

•Sit on the floor and straighten your left leg in front of you. Bend the right knee, placing the sole of your right foot against your left inner thigh.
    •Fold over your left leg, keeping your back straight. Hold for 30 seconds, then switch legs.

•Place your right foot on a step or stool. Flex your foot and bend forward from your hip joint, keeping your back and right leg straight. After holding for 30 seconds, switch sides

•Prop your left heel up on a surface that is a little lower than your hip such as a chair or bench. Flex your foot.
    •To increase the stretch bend forward toward your flexed foot, by creasing at your hips. Hold for 30 seconds and switch legs.

•Lie on your back, bend your right knee and place your right foot on the floor. Raise your left leg as high as you can keeping your pelvis flat on the ground. Hold your lower thigh and encourage the leg to move toward your head. Flex your foot to stretch your calf too.
    •To deepen the stretch, place a yoga strap or towel on the ball of your foot and use your hands to pull the strap toward you. After 30 seconds, switch legs.