Help~~First 5k Saturday and welcome tips

Options
VeeBethTris
VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
I am very new to running as I started the C25K on New Years. I can run an hour straight on the treadmill but due to the weather I haven't done much outside. Having said that, I stepped up my cardio in mid January with cycling, elliptical, and strength training. My overall fitness is good although I have 30-35 pounds left to meet goal weight. I am confident I can run it, but if not, I can walk some then pick up the pace again. What I am wondering is what to wear for a cool morning race: 35-40 degrees. Do I eat anything special the night before? Do I run the day before? How much do I drink before the race? OH I can go on and on but please help out a newbie. This may be my first but I don't expect it to be my last. Thank you :)

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    This is my view:

1. Enjoy it
    2. Eat something like pasta, nothing to hot and spicy
    3. Try not to eat too late and if you have to try not to eat something that'll sit in your stomach for hours
    4. A short run a couple of days before but I would the day before
    5. Remember to have your breakfast at least an hour before and no fry up lol
    6. Keep the fluids topped up
    7. Find a pace YOU'RE happy with and stick to it

Good luck and as said before enjoy it
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would second all of that.

Most important enjoy it. Take time during the run to look around and take it all in.

Eat a normal dinner but I usually eat dinner early (Eating late can cause stomach upset the next day). It' more about making sure you eat plain food nothing that will cause problems while you are running.

For 5K you don't need to eat anything special for breakfast but again give your body plenty of time to process the food before the race. Everyone is different, for example I don't eat anything within 4 hours of any race other people can be eating on the start line. I think nothing an hour to 2 hours before the race is good advice.

Your body actually has more than enough stores of energy to run a 5K.

I wouldn't run the day before unless you feel you have to.

Try to control your pace at the start. It's human nature to tear off and even 30 seconds a mile faster than you are used to can really affect how difficult the end of the race can be. You might not even realise it but you get pulled along by the crowd.

Well done and I hope you have a great time.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda like you. Recently did my first 5k. I drank too much water before though and had to pee the whole time. Lol. If you can run for an hour, you will do just fine!! For me, it was harder than I thought it would be, but it was great anyway. Dress as though you would normally feel comfortable in 55-60 degree weather, but be ready to stand around and freeze for a while first... Gloves, maybe? Maybe leggings under your normal pants and a light sweat shirt. Just try to relax and get a good night's sleep. No matter what, the whole thing will be over relatively quickly. Have a great time! So exciting!
  • VeeBethTris
    Options
    Thank you all :) I will let you know tomorrow night or Sunday how it went. I appreciate the time you each took out of your day to help me.

XOXO

Vee
  • mthr2
    Options
    Please do. I'm excited for you. Have fun and try not to be nervous.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you rocked it. Got my first half marathon in 2weeks, most important thing for me to remember is my nipple tape (no word of a lie)
  • mthr2
    Options
    They should make sports bras for boys....maybe just a spandex undershirt or something. Gotta be more comfy than nipple tape!
  • VeeBethTris
    Options
    I did ok for a first time 50 year old! 34:50. Thank you all for the encouragement and kindness. Lol at nipple tape!!!
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations! So what did you end up eating for dinner and breakfast? i have a 5k coming up and Im always happy to hear what fellow runners have to say!
  • mthr2
    Options
    Fantastic, vee! I'm 36 and my time was 36:40.....so you kicked my butt! :-)