Power lifting Comps?

Options
__RANDY__
__RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
So, I've decided I want to compete. What next?
I think my numbers are decent, I would like to use a pretty minimal amount of gear.

Replies

• tdeprat
    Options
    I was just looking into this myself. I am not sure where you are located but here are some upcoming competitions with the Southern Powerlifting Federation. http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/calendar.php :smile: Good luck!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Search for a meet nearby. powerliftingwatch.com has a meet search function.

find a fed you want to compete in, read their rulebook and do some research on them, then register.

you can compete raw, I'd reccommend using a belt at least though.

If you squat high, do an SPF meet :p
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a USAPL meet this August.

I've been following Paul Carter's blog for a while now so at some point I'd like to do a USSF meet as well.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

find a fed you want to compete in, read their rulebook and do some research on them, then register.

It's worse than that honestly. I've seen them pass **** lifts, and then within five minutes of that, redlight squats that probably couldn't have gone any lower if they'd have been performed by Kowalski himself.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    My favorite fed in which to compete is the APF. They have the square judging reminiscent of the USAPL but not quite as nazi-esque without any politics. Here in TX they generally have loud *kitten* metal playing (real metal bands are not excluded: Meshuggah, Hatebreed, Machinehead) which is a big selling point for me at least.
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options
    Search for a meet near you and sign up, that's half the battle. Then you have to go :) Compete raw in your first meet (you can wear a belt). If you haven't lifted with a belt or wrist wraps or what not, give yourself enough time to get used lifting with it before your meet. You want to train the way you'd compete - wear the shoes you will wear at the meet, wear the belt you will wear at the meet, etc. Order a singlet, you will need one unfortunately. lol Pick your openers (something you can successfully compete 3 reps in under even the worst of conditions). Don't worry about cutting weight for your first meet. Focus on completing as many successful lifts as you can for your first meet, it's a learning experience. Talk to other competitors at the meet, get advice, learn, etc. Almost everyone there will be very nice and supportive. Time your warmups right (ask someone for help if you're not sure how the meet will flow). Know your commands (you don't want to get red lighted for a good lift just because you racked it too early, etc). Stick to foods you normally eat one meet day, nerves will be high and you don't want to make your stomach queasy. And have fun!

I just did my first meet in early February and it was a great experience! I was nervous as hell, but met some awesome supportive people.
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options

It's worse than that honestly. I've seen them pass **** lifts, and then within five minutes of that, redlight squats that probably couldn't have gone any lower if they'd have been performed by Kowalski himself.

LOL about the SPF squats! I was actually a little worried about getting red lighted for squatting too low (aka squatting normal). Sad huh! Everything went fine though. I could've posted bigger numbers if I had down the BS wide stance barely move down 5 inches squats that all the top dogs were doing, but to me that is not real powerlifting.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    LOL about the SPF squats! I was actually a little worried about getting red lighted for squatting too low (aka squatting normal). Sad huh! Everything went fine though. I could've posted bigger numbers if I had down the BS wide stance barely move down 5 inches squats that all the top dogs were doing, but to me that is not real powerlifting.

I agree, to an extent. However, I have to say, it just works better for some people. I am not one of them. I tried squatting super wide, once...then spent the next three weeks not being able to squat due to a ridiculous amount of pain in my left quad. People with really long legs compared to their torsos seems to do pretty well with them. Hell, look at Efferding's record setting squat. He was wide as hell, but also went plenty deep.

The only thing that truly "isn't powerifting" to me, is the ridiculous gear that we have now. I've read more than one statement about guys who are shaky with a raw 405 squat being able to hit a 700 in a triple ply suit. A 72% increase? Seriously? Why not just come in with a ****ing excavator, and pick the weight up that way?
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I found one but the deadline is today, for the end of march. I think I am going to go to watch and see how everything works and sign up for the next one that comes around.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

The only thing that truly "isn't powerifting" to me, is the ridiculous gear that we have now. I've read more than one statement about guys who are shaky with a raw 405 squat being able to hit a 700 in a triple ply suit. A 72% increase? Seriously? Why not just come in with a ****ing excavator, and pick the weight up that way?

Have you been in gear? It's a different sport in itself and is extremely difficult. I prefer raw lifting, but after spending a couple training sessions in gear, I have a tremendous respect for the guys who can handle it. Lots of technique, lots of pain.

The high squatting has gotten out of hand with a few feds. There is a reason SPF has a ton of squat "world records" but very few deadlift world records. Because it's hard to cheat a deadlift and get 3 whites.
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options

I agree, to an extent. However, I have to say, it just works better for some people. I am not one of them. I tried squatting super wide, once...then spent the next three weeks not being able to squat due to a ridiculous amount of pain in my left quad. People with really long legs compared to their torsos seems to do pretty well with them. Hell, look at Efferding's record setting squat. He was wide as hell, but also went plenty deep.

Sorry, should clarify that it's not the super wide stance that upset me, just the not going low enough part! I'm lucky to be short so I don't need to worry about width too much, although I have widened my stance some since starting (super narrow).
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options

Have you been in gear? It's a different sport in itself and is extremely difficult. I prefer raw lifting, but after spending a couple training sessions in gear, I have a tremendous respect for the guys who can handle it. Lots of technique, lots of pain.

The high squatting has gotten out of hand with a few feds. There is a reason SPF has a ton of squat "world records" but very few deadlift world records. Because it's hard to cheat a deadlift and get 3 whites.

Totally agree with this. There were so many people putting up higher numbers for their squats than their DLs at the meet, that just doesn't make sense to me. You can't cheat the DL though.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I am not saying that it isn't still difficult, at all...just like picking up a loaded barbell with an excavator would require a totally different skill set. It's to the point now where it's almost like comparing apples and oranges, but that's my actual problem. There is such a disconnect now between geared lifters and...well, pretty much any other strength sport in the world. Has anyone noticed that as the gear got better, powerlifting's popularity waned? How do you explain the "zombie walk" that multi-ply bench shirts cause to the average person watching an event on TV? How about the fact that a multi-ply suit makes you walk like you have a pipe shoved up your *kitten*?

As for the deadlifts records, yeah, I get that. But having a look at the deadlift records, is it any shock that they haven't been touched in general (other than Perryman's new entry from last month)? I get the feeling that Gant's 123 and 132 won't be cracked in our lifetime, just because...well, that little man was roughly insect like in his strength to weight ratio at that time. 148 is hardly a competitive bracket anymore, and then the next four weight class records are held by Coan. His 242 is the most easily toppled, but even that's asking a lot of the lifters of today. Why? Most pro lifters seem to consider the squat 'their lift', and the deadlift seems to get trained just enough to not completely suck. From there we have records held by KK and Benni, and well, do we really need to go there? They are both in their prime years, so I think both have plenty more gas to give it on the deadlift should anyone rise up and crack their records...especially Benni...holy ****...

ETA: also, a lot of lifters seem to have forgotten all about relative strength. This would explain why the lower weight classes generally show comparably low numbers compared to the high end. Most people have become enamored with absolute strength...the whole 'bigger is better' thing, and this has put the focus on higher weight classes. How many guys do you see these days under 220 who can pull over 800? Not many.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

ETA: also, a lot of lifters seem to have forgotten all about relative strength. This would explain why the lower weight classes generally show comparably low numbers compared to the high end. Most people have become enamored with absolute strength...the whole 'bigger is better' thing, and this has put the focus on higher weight classes. How many guys do you see these days under 220 who can pull over 800? Not many.

I agree here. Only the absolute best <220 lifters can pull over 800. But hell, not a lot of the 308's are pulling much over 800. Brandon Lilly is strong as **** and only pulled 770 or so in his meet this past weekend.
    The deadlift is the greatest exhibition of raw strength IMO, you can't get much out of a suit, and it's just you and the bar. Not a lot of ways to cheat it.

I'm not denying that gear hasn't gotten out of hand. A lot of people, as you said, will just continue gaining weight to make gear fit tighter. In a lot of cases it's stopped being about getting stronger, it's buy better gear and get better technique.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I dont know if anyone else has said this but a great beginner fed is 100% RAW i believe they now allow knee wraps but dont hold me to it...wrist wraps and belts are acceptable.....check out the rules...i usually lift without anything but i might don the belt and wraps coming up soon at the kumite classic near my hometown
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Just read this article. I think it may answer all of your questions.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/powerlifting_the_definitive_guide