Smolov Jr program

Options
kbitzonefour
kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
Anyone try this method? Work? Not work? I know everyone is different, but I'm just curious as I read about it today and am planning on trying this with a friend, or convincing the hubby to do this.

More info:
http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2362/articles/smolov-jr

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this but I think I'm going to do it starting week after next. Squats are my worst lift so I figure the way to fix that is to do more squats. This looks like a pretty good amount of volume without being way overboard for where I am like the regular Smolov or some of the other stuff I've found.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Why not do the full smolov instead? http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3615/articles/smolov-squat-routine

Or Sheiko? http://www.extremefitness.com/forum/bodybuilding-strength-training/20790-boris-sheiko-beginners-training-program-1-a.html

If I had to choose between the above two I'd pick Sheiko, I loved it for squat. Unfortunately I don't have 2 hours at a stretch anymore to be in the gym, so I can't.

If I had to choose between smolov and smolov jr though, I'd definitely go with the full program, I'd just plug in much lower numbers initially.

I actually don't really have an issue with smolov jr, I think it's a solid layout. However this always gets to me (from the Smolov breakdown):
    Some people just use the base mesocycle which is what smolov jr is based on, because this cycle is to much for them.

It's not too much for them, it just means they're programming too heavy and should be using a lower weight.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I looked at both of those and, like you, I don't have the time to invest in Sheiko - but I did like it and would like to do it at some point down the road. And I don't think I'm really at a point where I'm ready for full Smolov. Right now I'm just trying to get more time squatting to get it where it should be and the Smolov Jr. looked like a good program to follow to get the volume up. I could probably just "squat more" but I like to have something to follow. A lot of the stuff I'm reading says I'm not the target audience even for Smolov Jr. but I didn't think it looked too terrible and thought "fck it, it's three weeks, let's see what happens".

Confession time (and I may be excommunicated for this): I hate squats. But I know how good they are so I figure since I hate them I need to do more of them so I get better at them and either like them or at least not hate them so much.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Smolov looks pretty cool, but the full program hurts my brain looking at it. LOL. You'll have to try the junior and let us know how it goes.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Smolov Jr apparently works well for a lot of people for bench.

I've ran the base smolov cycle for squats twice and lifts went up substantially both times which is bloody good for 3 hard weeks of work! It is intense though and I believe they say you should have a 1rm of 150kg or 330lbs before you try it. Unsure what it is for women.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Smolov Jr apparently works well for a lot of people for bench.

I've ran the base smolov cycle for squats twice and lifts went up substantially both times which is bloody good for 3 hard weeks of work! It is intense though and I believe they say you should have a 1rm of 150kg or 330lbs before you try it. Unsure what it is for women.

Hmmm... last time I thought about this, I was considerably below that in my 1RM. But now my 1RM is 350. I might consider trying this out soon!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    so what would you do with your other lifts while doing this?
  • sjohnny
    Options

I'm planning to continue with 5/3/1 for my other main lifts and cut out other accesory lifts. If it gets too much I'll ease off on the other lifts.
  • JNick77
    Options

I second that question. What would the splits look like?
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Minimal!

You will be beat up and most will struggle with just the squats. My deadlift went up with the squat also each time. I wasn't benching at the time but I did just a bit of upper body hypertrophy stuff like SOHP & chins typically 3 sets of 8. But main focus is obviously just to get through the squats.
  • JNick77
    Options

Minimal!

You will be beat up and most will struggle with just the squats. My deadlift went up with the squat also each time. I wasn't benching at the time but I did just a bit of upper body hypertrophy stuff like SOHP & chins typically 3 sets of 8. But main focus is obviously just to get through the squats.

Interesting. So even on off-days you think upper body work is a no-go? Even like, one ME upper body day? This really seems like a good way to blast through a plateau.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Minimal!

Interesting. So even on off-days you think upper body work is a no-go? Even like, one ME upper body day? This really seems like a good way to blast through a plateau.

I prefer to spend my off days resting :tongue: (well hanging off bars and stuff actually :laugh:) 4 days a week in gym is enough for me and I prefer to do all of the stuff I want while I'm there. You probably could do it that way if you wanted but I'm warning you that you will feel pretty beaten up! And just to state the obvious, this is no time for calorie deficits :smile:
  • sjohnny
    Options

Minimal!

Just for clarification: are you talking about Big Smolov or Smolov Jr. here? If you're talking about Jr. that has me beginning to think my original plan may be a little too ambitious.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I dont see a point in programs like smolov or sheiko until you've exhausted other options.

High volume training is demading. And if I can increase my squat with simple programming, I'd rather do that until it stops moving.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Run a true ed coan program if you want a truly humbling experience by the end of it you will demand to lift with more intensity but the first few weeks you will really get wrecked
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I dont see a point in programs like smolov or sheiko until you've exhausted other options.

High volume training is demading. And if I can increase my squat with simple programming, I'd rather do that until it stops moving.

At the risk of derailing this thread, can you expand on this? I'm actually of the belief that beginner lifters benefit MORE from high volume training than advanced guys do (and are able to maintain volume at a higher % RM as well). The lifts aren't as taxing, so they recover faster, and the extra time under the bar gives them more time to practice form and such. No?
  • sjohnny
    Options

At the risk of derailing this thread, can you expand on this? I'm actually of the belief that beginner lifters benefit MORE from high volume training than advanced guys do (and are able to maintain volume at a higher % RM as well). The lifts aren't as taxing, so they recover faster, and the extra time under the bar gives them more time to practice form and such. No?

This was my thought as well.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I think high frequency is great for a beginner , we see 5x5 programs work for them all the time. Yes, I think a beginner can recover from smolov a little easier than someone who is more advanced, but I still feel that they don't need to squat at higher intensities 4x per week. Just because they CAN do it, doesn't make it neccessary IMO. If they can build a big squat by squatting 2x per week, then to me, that option seems to be the optimal one. If the person just wants to do smolov for the sake of saying "i survived smolov" then that's fine too.

Smolov can put people in the dirt. And if you've got someone fairly new to squatting, that doesn't have the best form, then doing set after set while already sore and tired just sounds like a recipe for form deterioration.
    I agree with what you're saying about more time under the bar = more practice. But if you're doing something wrong, or don't have a good partner coaching you along, as you get tired, things can get ugly.

I guess I've always viewed the higher volume programs as "unconventional" and unneccessary for most. It's incredibly easy to get a huge squat by doing simple programs like 5x5 or 5/3/1 that don't completely kill you.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I agree a lot with what's been said in this thread, great insight especially to Chris and ILD's. Looking at Smolov Jr to me it looks like a good way to break a plateau. Smolov Jr kind off reminds me of this method Christian Thibideau put together. It's interesting how modern strength coaches use older concepts to bring in new ideas on training.

@ ILD: Great reference on Smolov and putting people in the dirt. I believe it was John Meadows that said something like, training is like digging a ditch for your body and eating is used to dig yourself out. Smolov must just dig a deeper ditch. LOL
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I finished Smolov Jr. Squats on Saturday. It was tough but not too bad. This probably has to do with the fact that my squat is weak and sad so the weight wasn't really extreme. I haven't retested my 1RM yet but according to calculators it looks like I added a hypothetical 35 or so pounds in three weeks. The last day was 10 sets of 3 with what had been my previous 1RM. I did 5 on the last set.

This morning I started doing it for my OHP. We'll see what three weeks of that will do.