Liquids and eating RYN

Options
rmsrws
rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
Ok, my main doctor left town when I was almost a year out, not nice of him, right?

What have you been told about drinking fluids?

I was told not a half hour before or 45 minutes after.

I have read 15 minutes before two hours after.

I have read water load up to 15 minutes prior by consuming as much water you can gulp down in 20 seconds, this helps fill the stoma since fluids pass through the pouch. The fluid stops the food from passing as quickly and keeps you feeling fuller longer. And no drinking for 2 hours after this process

I have been told small sips during meals will not hurt especially if it is really dense or sticky.

So please share.....what were you told, or what do you do that seems effective. I am so afraid of doing something wrong. Even though I am over 2 years post surgical!

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have seen lots of different rules. It seems every program has their own. My own requires no drinking for thirty minutes before or after eating. It was actually one of the most difficult things to follow after surgery, but the habit eventually grew on me.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have seen lots of different rules. It seems every program has their own. My own requires no drinking for thirty minutes before or after eating. It was actually one of the most difficult things to follow after surgery, but the habit eventually grew on me.

Same rules here. Usually don't have a problem with it. Don't see how anyone can gulp anything after rny....
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options

This is what I was told too. I find it difficult also, as I am very thirsty after eating. But I think I'm just still getting use to this.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot more used to not drinking with meals, or at least I did. But not completely. And drinking itself gets progressively easier a few months out.
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - My program calls for no liquids 30 min before or after, and no drinking while eating.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    No drinking 30 minute before and 30-60 minutes after eating. Obviously not during your meal, either.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I was told 30 minutes before and 30-60 min. after
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    most of the uk'ers here are told the 30/30 rules not 30 mins before or after but the longer after food the better in my book i tend to stay fuller longer! :bigsmile: