Home from Hospital Day 1

Options
Im home from my Gastric bypass done on March 4th. Im not in any pain. Feel pretty good. Tired and sore. Not hungry but Ive been sipping water slowely, Had 1 oz of tprotein drink from ho at 7 am. then at 11 I had 7 oz of Isopure.dinner I managed the Broth 4 oz from husbands Progressive light soup. Took me hrs to dink that much. Ive only done 16g protein today and 16.9 oz of just water. I know they nt you to do more but m just not hungry...

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. The good news is, you likely won't be hungry for at least six months. The bad news is, you will need to start getting a lot more protein, the sooner the better. I don't want to sound harsh, since you've only been home one day. Things will keep changing really fast for you.

A couple of things you should keep in mind, and some of it depends on how much you lost before surgery. Many people actually gain some weight from the surgery, and it might take a few days to lose it. I gained 9 pounds, in spite of eating nothing for three days. Don't panic. Most people seem to hit a mini plateau or stall two or three weeks after surgery. That is also natural, and a result of the surgery itself. Once you get past that, things should proceed in a more or less straight line for four or five months, depending on how much you eat and exercise, and how much you had to lose to begin with.

Do everything your medical team wants you to do. The only advice I can offer, based on my own experience, is log everything on MFP. If it has any calories at all, log it. That's the only way you can truly be aware of what you eat. And exercise as much as you can. I got a Fitbit about six weeks after surgery, and wish I had done it sooner. It helps motivate me to move more.

Congrats!

Congratulations, and I'm glad it sounds like everything is going well for you.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. The good news is, you likely won't be hungry for at least six months. The bad news is, you will need to start getting a lot more protein, the sooner the better. I don't want to sound harsh, since you've only been home one day. Things will keep changing really fast for you.

A couple of things you should keep in mind, and some of it depends on how much you lost before surgery. Many people actually gain some weight from the surgery, and it might take a few days to lose it. I gained 9 pounds, in spite of eating nothing for three days. Don't panic. Most people seem to hit a mini plateau or stall two or three weeks after surgery. That is also natural, and a result of the surgery itself. Once you get past that, things should proceed in a more or less straight line for four or five months, depending on how much you eat and exercise, and how much you had to lose to begin with.

Do everything your medical team wants you to do. The only advice I can offer, based on my own experience, is log everything on MFP. If it has any calories at all, log it. That's the only way you can truly be aware of what you eat. And exercise as much as you can. I got a Fitbit about six weeks after surgery, and wish I had done it sooner. It helps motivate me to move more.

Congrats!

Congratulations, and I'm glad it sounds like everything is going well for you.

Congrats on coming thru surgery successfully and making it thru that first day! The above advice is all on target, except that I am 5 months out and starting feeling real hunger about a month ago. Be mindful, though, that sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Make sure, too, that you remember your supplements and get that water in. You'll do great--you have an amazing tool to work with!
  • sclark70
    sclark70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome home!! I am glad to hear that everything went well.

I too agree with the others. You need to drink your protien, even though you are not hungry!! Trust us!!

I was hungry at first after surgery and I am about 3 months out and am starting to get hungry again...nothing like it was, just a little bit, just enough to tell me that I need to eat becuase it has been a few hours. But what I am trying to say is that you cannot rely on hunger pains at this point, you must follow the direction that doctor gave you to a tee...If they said drink/eat every 2 hours then you must drink/eat every 2 hours, whether you want to or not!!

Keep your head up and keep walking!!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I agree with the above. I stalled for 3 weeks at 2 or 3 weeks post op. Exercise.was.key. at 10 Months out I sticking struggle with hunger cues. I set an alarm on my phone every 3 hrs or so to remind me to eat. We are all very different what works for one may not work for everyone. Dehydration can still be an issue if i don't follow my alarm setting. so sip sip sip and walk walk walk. You will heal faster. When you hit that stall don't panic. I think we all go through a moment where we think we will be the one person this won't work for. Lol. It will be fine. Good luck friend.