EMTWL - is there a thread for women 50+

Options
vibegirl
vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
Hi..I'm trying to work the search aspect but if someone knows there is already a thread where women
who are peri-menopausal or menopausal - please point me in that direction. I've never been a fan of the too
low calorie restrictions...I choose 'healthy' over starving...but I also know choices are a big factor here.

Anyway...since things have slowed way down for me metabolism-wise, I just wondered if there were
women (40's-50s) on here who have made progress with the EMTWL program...any input would be great, or of
course just point me to a link that has previous discussion.

Thanks in advance!
Katy

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the same thing! I'm 52 and have to be careful with the slowing metabolism. I agree that healthy is better than the <1200 cal way to go.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I am 42:-) Anitrasoto is 49, HarlenJen is 48 I believe....and we all love lifting and eating. Feel free to friend me!
  • prettypaleo67
    Options
    Hi - I am 45, almost 46! Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 47 -- feel free to friend me too!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    53, obese (just this week moved out of the morbidly obese category), not able to lift heavy.
    I sometimes feel like I don't belong in the group. But I keep thinking that if I hang around long enough I'll be able to keep up with the "Little Girls" (as opposed to the Big Guys).

Edited to add ...
    I'm post-menopause. I had a complete hysterectomy in 2008. I have opted not to take hormones. I do experience mild hot flashes and night sweats, but ONLY in the summer. This could be hormonal or due to my obesity.

I was morbidly obese until this week ... now I'm just obese. ;-)
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding...I'm slowly wrapping my mind around doing this right, this time around. The low calorie concept on here did not work for me......and I mean 'mentally' more so than physically. I started dreading meals as I felt i was always worrying about each bite! My calculations seem to point to about 1600 for me with the EMTWL concept...so it's better than 1200 or less!! I'm also a natural health practitioner and none of that felt right to me anyway..just my personal feelings on it. Each has their own objective and not for me to say what is right or wrong...just know what I prefer :o)

Anyway...any tips on getting motivated to work out...I don't have gym membership...I have some free weights and good resistance bands for now and hope to walk to get started on some cardio. I have some joint issues so hard core cardio is not an option...right about now I just want to 'feel' good about doing SOMETHING! lol ANYTHING at this point. I'm 30lbs over my old 'normal' weight and would be happy to wave bye bye to 10 lbs to at least get a smaller size. I'd be happy with a 20lb weight loss total, and some nice toning and definition - not afraid of weight resistance...just a bit limited with what I'm working with at the moment.

As I said.I am open to ideas and things that have worked for you! Thanks again! (feel free to friend me too!)
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have tried to add in different strength exercises but get bogged down when I follow the pace on a DVD. (No gym membership for me either.) I really like IronStrength Workout on Runners World. I can go at my own pace and work up as I get stronger.