bland calming paleo foods?

Options
This is maybe odd, but I'm currently under a lot of stress and have lost my appetite. When I do eat, I stress eat a bunch of carbs--bagels and other horrible things. Don't worry I'm putting an end to it.

But I'm wondering when you are stressed if there are ready to eat, healthful go-to foods. My thought is soup or something? Maybe a banana instead of a bagel. Blargh, trying not to beat myself up for the last week, and find better foods as I slowly crawl my way out of stress-filled hole o'doom.

Replies

• vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs are comforting for me... nuts and nut butters.... although I am very limited in my sugars (so I barely eat fruit) a banana with some peanut butter sprinkled with cinnamon is great.

Good luck. Stress eating and trying to overcome it is the worst.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    A baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon always makes me very happy and warm. Hope you feel better soon.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon always makes me very happy and warm. Hope you feel better soon.

I second the potato...try it with coconut oil...mmmmmmm
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I either make a big pot of chicken vegetable soup, or make some tea. Both are calming to me.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower - or a nice big pot of chicken/vegetable soup. Mmmmmm
  • sdgray27
    sdgray27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have found chicken drumsticks to be a great comfort food for me.

I roast up a bunch (just did 8 last night) with a simple salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil recipe.

Let them cool down and pop them in the fridge.

Then when I feel like snacking I grab one (and a paper towel). I sit at the table and eat the drumstick. And I mean I eat all the meat off of it. It takes a few minutes as I work to get all the meat off the bone. It feels very primal.

It may be weird but this usually calms me down (concentrating on getting all that meat off the bone) and satisfies my hunger.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower - or a nice big pot of chicken/vegetable soup. Mmmmmm

I've become addicted to mashed cauliflower! I use coconut oil or grass-fed butter and coconut milk. Absolutely the most comforting, calming thing I've found. Flavor with a little salt/pepper or try spices like nutmeg or garlic. Leftovers fry up nicely in the a.m. topped with a bit of full-fat bleu cheese.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I second the potato...try it with coconut oil...mmmmmmm

Or try it with coconut butter.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Comfort foods for me when I'm not feeling it are beef jerky, dark chocolate (85%), an apple with almond butter, and bone broth.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken soup with veggies is my favorite "comfort" food. I could eat it all year long, even in the heat of summer.
  • shelleycc
    shelleycc Posts: 49
    Options
    Comfort foods are one thing, and I can think about them and eat them all day long. However, when I am stressed out, and want to eat just to eat, mindless mega-munchies-style, I go for something crunchy and innocuous that I can eat in large volumes without consuming a week's worth of calories in one sitting. My ab fab favorites are raw sweet pepper strips and sliced cucumbers. It sounds boring and very Weight Watcher's-esque, I know, but I can crunch and chew to my heart's content without worry or guilt.
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    banana and almond butter can be really quite comforting, perhaps with a peppermint tea? No need for bread, just slice the banana, put a chunk of almond butter on a plate, spoon up a little almond butter with every bite of banana.

Also, check out Yogi Tea's Egyptian Licorice tea. When brewed it is very sweet, but is pure enough that it is even approved for the 21 day sugar detox.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    These are such great suggestions! I'm drinking peppermint tea while reading it! Week of doom seems over, but I'm going to try out a bunch of these suggestions next week as I recoup from crazy adrenaline spikes!

Thank you all so much!