Smack me?

Options
PippaJo_
PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
Week 1 weigh-in.....lost 3.6 pounds.

Um. Yay?

No, really, smack me. I need to adjust my expectations, and I *know* I need to adjust them.....I'm really trying to remember that for me, this is a *good* loss, and in reality, ANY loss IS a loss, so that makes it great.

Sigh.

I just need to remember that I'm only 5'1" - and I only have about 35 pounds to lose. (Looks like 60 or 70 on me, but whatevs.) I'm not *going* to see huge 7, 10, 12-pound losses. (And I didn't expect that, not really.) But yet, even though you know it, some small part of you is crossing its fingers, you know?

I just need to work on my perspective, that's all. (Hey, earlier in the week, I lowered my expectations to 3 pounds.....and it's 3.6, so - wahoo!)

Replies

• dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    3.6 with only 35 to lose? ya thats pretty damn good actually! Congrats.
    Here is a favorite quote of mine i got from the general MF boards that i like.

"you didn't put on the weight overnight, why would you think you will lose it overnight?"
  • lisa77marie
    lisa77marie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.8 my first week and I have about 60 to lose. I'm not upset at all. That's a great loss!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    3.6 is actually amazing when you consider how little you have left to go. You're doing great!

It can be hard to to maintain perspective when we are being so disciplined and hear stories about people having stunning early losses. One thing to consider is that usually, when people drop a huge chunk of weight right out the gate, it's largely water weight. Something in their lifestyle - too much sodium, not drinking enough water etc., caused their body to hang on to the water, and eating healthier sets the H2O free. Their kidneys go into overdrive and the water comes off. The bulk of what was in their colon when they started can also be a significant source of loss - the difference in the amount of food going in is more than offset by what is eliminated.

I didn't see a huge drop my first week either, but my loss has been fairly steady. And that's where you win this game - ongoing, steady progress.
  • muscat_princess
    Options
    so it may help to change how u look at your losses.......dont look t your weekly loses.....
    start to focus on by weekly. u will see one week may b less but if you average out by weekly u may see results to keep u motivated.

i know some weeks i loss less then the next i lose more......so try to look at it like this. hope this helps.
  • leannekampfe
    leannekampfe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm going in this morning for my 1 month weigh in/analysis (I'm doing a center), and started out wanting to lose 37 lbs, so we're in the same boat. I've averaged 3 lbs a week, but week 2 I lost less than 1 lb. I know that when I've lost weight in the past that my hormones result in some weeks being bigger and some weeks being smaller. However, the 9.3 lbs I was down last week was still phenomenal for 3 weeks compared to any other plan I've tried.

I'm doing the 4-2 (because I exercise a lot), so I didn't expect huge losses either, but I agree that once you start losing you just want it all off ;). The person who cited the quote about not gaining it overnight and therefore not losing it that quickly either is absolutely right. Keep plugging away-3.6 lbs is awesome!