1/2 Marathon Training Update

Options
mair123
mair123 Posts: 50 Member
I am currently in week 6 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 1/2 marathon program. I think about my race everyday and it is a huge focus in my life right now. Training is harder than I expected. I thought I built up a decent base before starting- running 6 miles every other day. I am focused and motivated but would be lying if I said I never doubt myself or question why the heck am I doing this. Even though it is only 3 and 4 miles- running 3 days in a row is fairly new to me and it is taking a bigger toll on me than I thought it would. One of the problems is that since I am "only" running 3 miles, I am pushing myself a bit in speed(I am a slow runner, but going faster than my normal slow!) This past week my long run was 8 miles- I felt like death afterwards. My legs felt like jell-o around mile 6.5/7 and even though I ate a meal that I normally eat before running my stomach was cramping. Quite an uncomfortable feeling! On my runs prior to training, I never ran with water, but I think I am going to have to start experimenting with a water belt and possibly some kind of snack. I was thinking of trying Craisins which I love, instead of those gels/blocks. Instead of running a 5K race this week, I will do a 8.5 mile long run. Not too many people I can talk about this without boring them, so thought I'd share my experience so far. Would love for others to share their war stories, advice, etc!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I went with the HH novice 2 last time, and HH intermediate this time. I just started the training program this week, modified the 12 week program to a 15 week program and extended the length of the long runs. When I did HH novice 2, I ran M-W-F-Sa, so I didn't run three days in a row, only two. I did cross-training T-Th, rest day Su.

My weekday runs are usually 10 km, and my long run 15-20 km, so most days I will be running further than the training schedule suggests, just taking the recommendation as a minimum. This is the first time I am really doing speedwork and tempo runs, so that's new for me. The HH Intermediate is 5 running days a week, so I am now running M-W-Th-F-Sa; so have gone from running two days in a row to running four days in a row. I am running only around 5 km for the W-Th runs (speedwork & tempo), so still the same distance, but different exercises.

Good luck! I was very excited to start my schedule.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hey Mair:) I totally get where you're at. I'm about halfway through my 16-week training and with the program, I went from running 3-4x/week to running 5x/week (+ 2x cross-train) and I find it hard to keep up. I usually sacrifice the 5th day and just cross or adjust the mileage for the week. But my body is somewhat getting used to it though...still, I've decided to not rush the program and I do have extra time for my 1/2.

Have you tried increasing your carbs and calories on or day before your long run days? If I have a good carb dinner, I seem to have great runs the next day. I'm still experimenting but I'm starting to see some real effects. And I'm looking into refueling too--dried fruits sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of trying out raisins, Gatorade (or something like it), jelly beans...gummy bears even! Which seem more palatable then gels. Let me know how it goes. Love to "talk shop" with other runners too!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have about 4 weeks until my second half. I think you should back off that pace a little on your runs. My plan (Smartcoach runners world) is all easy runs, except for one speed workout per week. I even eliminated the speed workout, because I knew I needed to work on my aerobic base more. I will be adding those back in for the next 3 weeks. I was already running 10 miles on the weekends, so I am already up to 13.1 runs on the weekends now. My plan does not go above that, but I may make one or two of my next long runs 14-15. I am running about 30 miles per week now, with a lower mileage week every 4 weeks.

As for fueling - I just started doing that a little - some homemade chews a few weeks ago, and some gummi bears this last time. The gummi bears were fun - I only ate 7 or so. I don't carry water either. I do find that I really need to eat well over my calories the day before my long runs, and also make sure I have some carbs before my long run. I have had the cramping issues after long runs too, and proper eating seems to really help - also Tums!
  • mair123
    Options
    Hi Yogibella!!! After reading up on different fuel choices, I decided to try the Clif Block Shots. I bought the Black Cherry flavor which also has caffeine in it. I went out this morning on an empty stomach. Took 2 chews after mile 3 and another chew after mile 6. While I did experience a weird feeling immediately after eating them (took them without water), the discomfort quickly subsided. I noticed an energy burst very quickly after taking them. Next week, I think I am going to take 1 chew at a time after every 2 miles so that my energy level is more stable. I feel so much better in comparison to last week's run. Even my legs are less noodle-ish. Would definitely reccomend them. 8.8 miles done!!!! Week 7 here I come :)
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    @mair - that's awesome! will look out for Clif Block Shots...how did they taste? I did read that it's best to chase gels/blocks and such with water. I actually had terrible GI problems on my last long run...I think I'm gonna be more careful on my pre-run meals next time, including making sure to NOT have my regular morning coffee. I did have a bagel and it did give me a great boost :) I wish I could go out on an empty stomach but I'm usually starving in the morning...lol

@natalie - how do you make homemade chews? homemade would be so awesome! yeah I'm looking forward to trying the gummy bears:) good luck on your 1/2!
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Am a re-newbie (meaning I am again getting started) I have a friends who have run and are training for marathons, they all swear by protein shakes, either before or after, to help build the muscle fiber back. I tried this after my 8 mile day Sunday, yesterday was much better for me. Will look into the chews for during race tho!
  • mair123
    Options
    Hi Sportzmom23! I sometimes make a shake before my run- Biggest Loser Chocolate Designer Whey Protein blended with frozen mango chunks. I'll drink half of it before my run and the other half after, as I keep reading how important post-long run nutrition is. Usually, eating is the last thing on my mind after a long run, so the protein shakes are great. Thanks for the tip. Lmk if you end up using chews or some other type of fuel during your long runs!