Discouraged!!!

Options
nikongirl29
nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
I am so discouraged! I have been watching what I eat and exercising since October - and lost 23 pounds, but had stopped losing. I walk an hour Mon, Tues, Wed, & Thurs every week then go to an exercise class at my church on Thursday nights. I'm on Day 8 of the 30DS and have not skipped a day - I don't go over my calories or even eat my exercise calories and I have not lost one inch (since I measured on day 1 of the 30DS) and have GAINED 1.4 pounds!! I just want to quit and eat pizza and fried chicken and sit my tail on the couch all day!! Is everyone else not losing yet?

Replies

• AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I checked this morning and since starting the Shred I am also up by exactly the same amount and I did day 8 today too.

I did the Shred last year and exactly the same thing happened. I lost inches but I couldn't lose weight. So I would recommend that you take measurements as well as checking on your weight as you may see some big differences there.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just read that you checked inches already. I would give it a little longer and I think you will see a difference in measurements. :smile:
  • wannabeloser08
    Options
    Give it a little longer. There are SO MANY success stories from the 30DS so it MUST work! I have not taken my measurements since starting but i am definitely noticing a slight difference already. Keep it up. DON'T QUIT! Remember, if you keep pushing and putting in the work, the results WILL follow. :flowerforyou:
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was pretty discouraged a few days ago too. It looked like I actually gained an inch when I measured (too early, should have waited until day 30). However, I can definitely see a difference in my body. That is totally better than a physical inch. Keep going, it make take a bit more time but it is going to be worth it!
  • debbieled32
    Options
    it really is a fight to loose weight
    if it was easy, we would all be skinny and working out would be no problem
    dont get discouraged, it just part of the process
    you are doing great :smile:
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    just remember how much weight work 30DS includes, not losing weight is not surprising. but you will be replacing fat with muscle, its really hard but try to ignore the scale and focus on how you feel as well as your measurements on day 30. what motivated me to do 30DS were all of the amazing success stories but most all of them said they did not lose weight, which was shocking because how unbelievable their before and after pictures were. you are doing so great and will pass this pesky plateau :)
  • nikongirl29
    Options
    I may quit, but it won't be today!! Day 8 of 30DS is in the books! I always feel better AFTER I do it, it's just motivating myself to get it done! One day at a time I guess! Thank you all for your encouraging words!
  • nikongirl29
    Options
    PS I won't measure again until at least day 15 and maybe on Day 15 take some more pictures to see if I LOOK like I have lost any because I have never been confident in my measuring skills! I will *TRY* to stay off of the scales too!!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm getting bigger too. Not concerned with weight loss, but I do want to lose inches and feeling bigger is not making me happy :(
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said Don't give up. I did the 30day shred in Oct, I did not loose any weight but lost 3 1/2 inches in my waist and 2 in my hips, 2 in my thighs. I was pleased with that. But I have only lost 7 lbs since I started in Oct. but have lost more in inches since then, I am firmer and more healthy than I ever have been. My weight just isn't coming off. They say inches are better than weight loss. Can't figure it out but just keep a going. You will see a difference by the end of the month.
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    If you are not eating back your exercise calories and are doing the 30 day shred plus all the other extras in terms of exercise, it could be very well likely that you are not eating enough. If you are netting below your BMR, and quite possibly very below your BMR most days, this could be detrimental to your metabolism. Do you know your BMR and TDEE etc?
  • librah1075
    Options
    I'm sooo glad you posted this.. just this morning I stepped on the scale and was so ready to throw in the towel! I'm barely on day 5 but I was really hoping to see some type of weight loss. Instead, I also gained 1 pound!! I felt so discouraged being that this "30DS" is kicking my butt!!!
    It's my first time trying this and from all the success stories I guess I just want to see fast results.. I do feel great after excersising!! I will stick with it till day 3O and maybe even go to day 60.. Just so that I don't ask myself... what if???

thanks for all these encouraging posts! good luck! to all!!!!

P.S. Don't be discouraged!! hard work always pays off! :wink:
  • reefvixen149
    reefvixen149 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very discouraged as well. I actually have noticed that my body is getting more toned but for some reason I'm finding the workouts more challenging. It seems to be working in opposite for me: the more I do the workouts the less endurance I seem to have. I wonder if it could be diet related, like I don't consume enough energy-giving foods to keep up with my workouts? I can't do those annoying anterior lunges with raises for the life of me.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very discouraged as well. I actually have noticed that my body is getting more toned but for some reason I'm finding the workouts more challenging. It seems to be working in opposite for me: the more I do the workouts the less endurance I seem to have. I wonder if it could be diet related, like I don't consume enough energy-giving foods to keep up with my workouts? I can't do those annoying anterior lunges with raises for the life of me.

So I to have noticed that while I am doing the workout it does seem harder now then at first, I am sweating A LOT more and my endurance is lower, but once done i feel much better then the first few days. I think it is because i am starting to work my body harder as i am learning how to do the exercises accurately and push my body more. I think the firts few days i was getting used to the routine, watching her more, and now i am without pausing going into the next exercises and pushing them as much as i can. maybe this is the same for you?
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Don't give up because your body is probably just "rearranging" right now and the loss will eventually appear. After all, this isn't a quick fix but a slow and steady pay-off, which is the healthiest and best kind.

I never measured at the beginning but I can feel muscles forming and when walking, there's more strength in the legs. So listen to your body rather than go by the scales. And hang in there. After all...if you give up you KNOW where you'll be, but if you keep at it you'll be delighted where you end up. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: for you!
  • reefvixen149
    reefvixen149 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

So I to have noticed that while I am doing the workout it does seem harder now then at first, I am sweating A LOT more and my endurance is lower, but once done i feel much better then the first few days. I think it is because i am starting to work my body harder as i am learning how to do the exercises accurately and push my body more. I think the firts few days i was getting used to the routine, watching her more, and now i am without pausing going into the next exercises and pushing them as much as i can. maybe this is the same for you?

I like the way you think, but sadly, no, it's not because I'm doing the moves with more purpose. In fact, I'm kind of slacking on them compared to the beginning. I need Jillian to pop out of the screen and give me heck for half-@ssing her workout. LOL. I think I need to rethink about what motivates me and look at a few more success stories and get my butt back into gear. Like Jillian says: It's only 20 minutes! I better make it count!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: Over the past two years, I've done 30DS three times. This will be my fourth. Never do I lose lbs from 30DS, but my clothes get looser.
    Only when I do LOTS of cardio do I lose lbs.
    Don't quit. It's a short term challange. We can do this. Your pants will thank you for it :laugh:
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    On day 7 here. I've also gained some inches in places, haven't moved in others and gone down in one area.

The point is I FEEL better. I can see definition starting in places and improving in others. I'm working harder and getting stronger every day.

Keep with it, there are a lot of us in this together.
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Even though the inches are not changing I feel so much stronger. Someone else mentioned it getting harder-I feel that too. I am attributing it to me focusing on doing every movement correctly and deeper which is definitely more intense. Everyone is doing so great so far-keep it up!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you gain weight, it's water weight, nothing unusual after working out with weights. Also, have you considered TOM? I easily gain 2 pounds during that time, if not more. Do not trust the scale. Forget the measurements for now. Just do your thing. If you want encouragement, take pictures. And look at all the before and afters here on MFP.

I measured myself after 11 days of the shred when I did it for the first time and didn't see much difference. The photos, however (taken after I completed the shred), are another story. I was shocked to see how much my body has changed.

por4zzd.png