New to clean eating and need some snack ideas

Options
MrsTyHarris
MrsTyHarris Posts: 88 Member
Hello all, Ive been trying to eat clean, I've figured out my meals, but I need help with snacks. Around 2 to 3 oclock I get this MEAN sweet tooth. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks for your help. Also I could always use some positive clean eating friends! Add me!!

Replies

• wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My favorite is baked sweet potato fries, sweet potatos are very high in vitamin a, potassium, fiber, 115 cals in a med potato, they are also an antiinflamatory which can aid after hard workouts, and keep you feeling full due to the high fiber, plus they taste awsome!!! Any berry,blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, rasberries, they all are antioxidents put them in yogurt or eat plain.
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snack is a gala or breaburn apple with peanut butter. My favorite peanut butter is Krema all natural. The only ingredient is peanuts. If I'm really jonesin' for some sweetness I drizzle just a touch of honey over it. Who needs a snickers when you have this?
  • Riqtoe
    Riqtoe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I enjoy these: Sweet Potato (baked ahead of time). Greek Plain Yogurt with 2 tablespoons PB2 (by Bell Plantation). Brussel Sprouts with Basalmic Vinegar. or yesterday had a grapefruit that was incredible!
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    My 'go to' snack in the afternoon are nut packets from Trader Joes. My favorite is a combo of almonds, cashews and cranberries (210 calories a packet). Satisfies my sweet tooth and the healthy fats from the nuts keeps me feeling full. I also like the almond packets.
  • MrsTyHarris
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you need to satisfy the sweet tooth, organic yogurt is always a great choice. If you need to satisfy a HUGE sweet tooth, you can buy Newman's Organic cookies (or something similar), but I have a problem with stopping at 1-2, so I don't keep them in the house.

I've probably cut out 95% of the sugar that I used to eat 15 years ago (1 lb bag of peanut m&ms every couple of days), but I still allow myself one Stonyfield Chocolate Underground Fat Free yogurt per day. It has 140 cals, so be careful, but it's pretty good sized and hits the chocolate and sugar requirements for me...lol

Another trick my sister-in-law uses is just one square of clean dark chocolate, eaten very slowly and savored or freeze grapes and eat them like a frozen treat.

All of these, of course, are only if fruits just aren't doing the trick.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with frozen/fresh berries & granola/Kashi cereal, Almonds & Apples, beef jerky and some fruit, 1/3c low-fat ricotta cheese and 1/2c plain or greek yogurt frozen berries and I always have a protein bar on me.
  • Phylita
    Phylita Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ever try a wedged apple, place in a ziploc baggie, and sprinkle with 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon? Wow, my favourite snack of all time, and to jack it up and maybe turn it into mealish snack, use the cinnamon apple wedges as spoons and dip into 0% fat greek yogurt (flavour of your choice) or maybe some 'nut butter', I prefer almond butter myself. Very portable for lunches or hiking or just keeping in the car when you need SOMETHING to eat. Hope you find this helpful.
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the cinnamon apple idea, thanks!! I love apples & pb...I bet it's amazinv w the cinn. Good idea about a little honey, too.

I do dark choc, too. 70% dark. It's good, but just strong enough that I really only eat a couple squares and I'm fine. I enjoy it w wine or w coffee.

Thanks for the ideas!
  • dzuli823
    Options
    Greek yogurt with frozen/fresh berries & granola/Kashi cereal, Almonds & Apples, beef jerky and some fruit, 1/3c low-fat ricotta cheese and 1/2c plain or greek yogurt frozen berries and I always have a protein bar on me.

This is a good idea for me... I want to start eating greek yog, but the plain always tastes funny to me even w the fruit. But I bet adding granola w it would make a difference. Thanks!
  • dzuli823
    Options
    My favorite is baked sweet potato fries, sweet potatos are very high in vitamin a, potassium, fiber, 115 cals in a med potato, they are also an antiinflamatory which can aid after hard workouts, and keep you feeling full due to the high fiber, plus they taste awsome!!! Any berry,blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, rasberries, they all are antioxidents put them in yogurt or eat plain.

Do you make your own sweet potato fries? Any tips on the best way to make them??

Thanks!
  • MrsV
    MrsV Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Snacks for me are usually:
    nuts + clementine
    wheat tortilla w/peanut butter (nuts only) and a DRIZZLE of honey
    cottage cheese + spice grinder (I think it's mrs dash no salt tomato?)

Sweet tooth days:
    Dark chocolate
    Vanilla smoothie (1c milk, 1/2c blueberries (Frozen), 1/4c vanilla protein powder, 1 banana, usually frozen)
    Grapefruit
    Flavored coffee w/half and half
  • sarahlynn333
    sarahlynn333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A fruit smoothie with yogurt in it can help with the sweet tooth. I usually do 4 ice cubes, 6oz yogurt, and frozen berries. It't filling too!
  • MrsTyHarris
    Options
    Thank you all so very much, this really helps!
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates. nom nom nom
  • kayenne78
    kayenne78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love organic meadow fat free Greek yogurt with a 1/4 cup of mangos and a teaspoon of buckwheat honey -so yummy!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have to second pretty much all of these snack ideas! I LOVE roasted sweet potatoes. I don't usually do them in fry shapes, just slice them into rounds because I'm lazy. Then I toss them with a little olive oil and some salt, and bake at 400 or so until the outsides have caramelized a bit. I can eat that as a side dish to dinner every single day of the week and not get sick of it. They're also amazing dipped in blackberry jalapeno jam/jelly.

Other snacks... I'm obsessed with roasted chickpeas right now, because they're so versatile, and they're crunchy and salt enough that I don't crave chips and things like that. Chickpeas are generally amazing, and are great for hummus, another awesome snack. I also like to dip fresh veggies in a balsamic & oil dressing.

Hard boiled eggs are a great snack, especially when dipped in hot sauce, nom nom.

I eat a ridiculous amount of dairy, so a lot of my snacks are dairy oriented. Cottage cheese mixed with fruit is a big one. I've been buying those Dole fruit cups, a cup or so of cottage cheese with mandarin oranges in juice is about 250 calories and provides something like 25+ grams of protein, and satisfies my sweet tooth. I also love mixing peanut butter and honey with plain greek yogurt and eating it straight up. It's so thick and creamy it reminds me of soft serve. It also makes an excellent dip for bananas or apples. I also like making protein shakes with kefir, which is added oomph in the protein department. Chocolate protein powder + chocolate truffle kefir tastes a lot like dessert to me, lol. Fage greek yogurt cups are delicious, their fruit flavors are amazing.

Bananas cut in half the long way with peanut butter spread in between, then stuck back together are delicious. ESPECIALLY if you stick them in the freezer until the peanut butter is set, then dip the banana in melted dark chocolate, and refreeze. If you don't let the peanut butter freeze a bit first, it tends to melt when you dip it in chocolate. Amazing dessert/snack.
  • TremblayJ
    Options
    Hey I hear you,

I like to eat an apple sliced with tbsp of peanut butter ( organic )
    or a strawberry protein smoothie (whey powder, strawberries, water, black diamond coconut milk-unsweetened and a spoonful of bio-best plain yogurt & chia seeds) - Yumm
  • Nykki8
    Nykki8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am new to clean eating too. Right now my favorite pre-dinner snack is a smoothie made with chocolate protein powder, a cup of frozen cherries, a handful of spinach and a quarter avocado with a cup or so of water. It just tastes like chocolate cherry milkshake! Also I get some ideas from The gracious pantry website like banana walnut fudge.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    These are all delicous and filling snack ideas! I get hung up on her complex carbohydrate/protein with every meal. How does this translate into a snack, besides the apple/peanut butter or hummus and chips? I love the idea of the banana split in half long ways and spread with peanut butter. Why didn't I ever think of that??!!! Any other complex carb/protein combo snack ideas? Thanks so much! :flowerforyou: