Recommendations on adjustable weight dumbbells

Options
shst07
shst07 Posts: 61 Member
Hi.
I'm new to this group and had a few questions, if anyone could help me out. I'm wanting to start lifting heavy at home since to me, it's a little more convenient than going to a gym. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a brand of adjustable weight dumbbells? And also any recommendations on an at-home weight-lifting program (via internet, book, etc)? Just FYI: I am a 47 year old female, 5'6", weigh 205, and am incrementally upping my calories by 100 per week to start my reset in the next few weeks. I am currently at 1700 cals per day. Thank you for any suggestions.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have the Powerblocks up to 50lbs - should have gotten the Selec techs - Powerblock is bulky and takes time to change weights - which is a pain when you are doing something like Chalean Xtreme that needs quick changes....
  • shst07
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will look into those!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would recommend New Rules of Lifting Supercharged for a program to follow. The book just came out in December.
  • shst07
    Options
    Thank you! I have heard others mention that book too so I'll look into that.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have the Powerblocks up to 50lbs - should have gotten the Selec techs - Powerblock is bulky and takes time to change weights - which is a pain when you are doing something like Chalean Xtreme that needs quick changes....

I totally agree with this ^^^^

I use my husband's Power Blocks but they tend to be awkward with certain moves, and sometimes I have to pause the video in order to change up my weights. I really wish I had the Select Techs!!! They seem well worth the $$$
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Oh my, just checked out those SelectTechs, they're a bit gorgeous. Think I've found something to save up the £££s for :love:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have these http://www.exercise.co.uk/marcy-bruce-lee-dragon-adjustable-dumbells-2-x-25kg-with-stand/ (minus the stand) and I'm very happy with them.

They may only be available in the UK and I'm not sure where you are, but either way this may be of interest to other readers :)
  • belsameth
    belsameth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got some cheap ebay ones that go up to 15 kg each as a start. I use New rules of lifting for women and change exercises to dumbbell ones. Works for me until I can leave my youngest for any period of time and join a gym :) I quite like scoobys workshop too, its a website :)
  • shst07
    Options
    Thank you!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We have the Select Techs and love them. We got them 5+ years ago at a "Play It Again Sports" store at a nice discount. I'm not sure if those stores are still around. Ours came with the stand as well which I LOVE because we don't have to bend down and pick them up off the floor each time.