Discipline... How do you gals conquer it?

Options
EstherStark
EstherStark Posts: 11 Member
I'm at 135# but the weight I feel great at is 128#. Yeah, I know. Only 6# away. But those last pounds are the hardest to get off. I've stayed 128 - 130 for about 5 years. I slacked off on workouts this past year and go up to 138# and I don't like it!!! (too much belly fat!!) I've just gotten back to trying to discipline myself at the beginning of the year and have done well at working out a minimum of 3 nights a week. I'm pretty careful what I eat. But in two months, still only lost 3#.

Also, I'm not sure why I have such a problem with stamina some days. One day I can run a mile, other days it's all I can do to run 3 minutes!

I have friends/relatives who sporadically work out with me but so sporadic that I can't use that as accountability. I'm excited to find MFP, introduced to me by my niece who has been very inspired to stick to her daily workouts & now eating habits too, through MFP. I'm hoping I can get that same discipline by having an online support group.

I joined the first part of this week and I'm just now figuring out how the program works. Just found the forums, and have not yet figured out the "add a friend" portion.

I am 62 years young, very active, in good physical shape and people tell me I don't need to lose weight. But you gals know how it is when you just don't "feel" good with those extra few pounds!! Sooo, at my age, I might not be able to keep up with some of the very strenuous exercise programs that some of you do... but I'd like to hear them anyway. I am active... I water ski/wake board, snowshoe, ran a 5k last year, (though I'm struggling with the running again now). So I CAN exercise. I'd be interested in hearing some of the routines you gals have.... and eating habits. I don't like "DIETS" and just try to eat healthy.

All the encouragement, help, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just DO! I make a plan and follow it. When you don't have much to lose, dropping a few pounds in a few months is good progress. It's SLOW but it's real and sustainable. Get your diet in check, that's going to be your most important part of this now.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just sent you a friend request. I'm in the same boat as you - can't seem to drop those last 5 pounds! Menopause probably has something to do with it. I've really increased my exercise, which is good for me regardless of weight loss. I eat very cleanly MOST of the time, but have a few weaknesses (popcorn and peanuts have become obsessions of late!). I have to keep reminding myself that as long as I'm not gaining, I'm doing ok. I've also found having logged in for almost a year now, I will need to always log in. I evidently don't have the capacity to judge calories and portion size very well without facing it on by food diary every day. I will say MFP is the best resource I've ever used!
  • EstherStark
    Options
    Thank you ladies. Kate, I agree with it being hard to judge those calories. I haven't counted calories in years. Just try to watch what I eat and overall eat fairly healthy. I use to count and got so I pretty much knew what I was eating without having to count. Now seeing it on here really helps. I need to browse my calorie book again and get back to better menu planning.

thanks for the friend request. It helps to chat about it with friends and seeing their progress too.

off to my granddaughters basketball game. Have a great day.
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have peanuts around, but find that the 100 calorie microwave packs of popcorn give a generous, controlled portion...I love the Kettle Corn!
    I gained around 9 pounds last spring eating fabulous food while river cruising in Europe, and was not happy. Lost a couple on my own, then discovered MFP in November. I was on 1200 calories, but able to add an extra exercise bonus most days. Made it through the Holidays, and now I'm at my "happy weight" of 121 (5'4").
    Maintenance for me is 1400 cals. a day, and recent back problems have reduced my exercise regimen to short walks. I'm a healthy 72 year old except for that.
    This program works. Just list everything you eat in your food diary...even those snacks!
  • EstherStark
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement gals!