I'm in desperate need of protein suggestions.

Options
allisshiney
allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
Hi guys! I have been easing into Primal eating for the past 4 weeks (80/20) and am really struggling with keeping my protein up and my carbs down. Suggestions?

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Nuts instead of that apple or banana for snack. Eggs for breakfast. Meat and veggies (brocolli cauliflower avocado etc) for lunch and dinner. My diary is open. Feel free to peek.

And step away from the Starbucks banana bread! LOL. :-)
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have the same issue. Somebody pointed out to me the other day that they eat more protein for breakfast than I do in an entire day. So I am going to try dairy, gluten, and soy free protein shakes for a while and see how that goes. Oh, and if you are not too worried about the mercury levels, go stock up on cans of tuna, salmon, sardines, etc. Great protein/fat snack with home made mayo.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Speaking of eggs for breakfast...
    Before eating Paleo, I was not a huge egg fan. I certainly would not think I would enjoy eating eggs every day, unless they were served on a bagel.

But, strangely, I totally want them almost every day now. I almost never eat scrambled or omelettes, which is what I thought I preferred. Now I'm a fried egg girl. Crack them into the pan, add a slice of ham, split a slice of cheese over the eggies (or not), pop them over 1/2 avocado, and wonderful breakfast is served 2 minutes later. I use a cast iron pan so clean up is easy.

For some reason, I also find if I eat scrambled eggs, I'm not as full as when I eat fried.

I don't often eat hard boiled eggs, because even though it's boiling water, I think they're a PITA, and when I eat them, I'm just as hungry as before. But... lots of other people happily snack on them.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha 6 Protein powder for a supplement. It is great in the morning for a cold Protein and oats cereal or hot. Also in a smoothie made with nuts/fruits. I like Beef Jerkey as well for snacks. Very filling and does not require any prep.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    moar meat!! I eat meat at almost every meal, except breakfast - I usually have eggies. :) Plus sometimes a side of meat, if I have some handy. Bacon is good, of course, but not a lot of protein. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, etc. My meals generally consist of meat+veggies+fat (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts). Less fruit, as they are carb-heavy (except for berries). Full-fat yogurt/cheese/etc. More fat=less carbs.

I aim for at least 100g protein a day, and usually get quite a bit more the day after heavy lift days. I also try to limit my carbs to 100g/day (though if I'm a little over on heavy exercise days, it's ok as long as I average out ~100g/day over the week). Feel free to take a look at my diary, it's open. If you want less carbs, eliminate more of the starchier fruits (bananas, mangoes, etc) and potatoes and rice you see in my diary. I generally only eat those post-workout, when my body is more likely to put those carbs into my muscles and not my fat cells.

Edit: Also, after going back further in your diary (to see trends), I'd also suggest less pre-packaged/processed foods such as the bars and pre-sweetened yogurts. That will help cut your carbs. I use full-fat plain greek yogurt with some berries & cinnamon added, and make my own fat bombs/trail mixes/jerky, if you need something quick to grab.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Turkey has a lot of protein, so I try to do turkey burgers over a salad. Also, protein shakes with coconut milk for breakfast.
  • cmain11699
    cmain11699 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Edit: Also, after going back further in your diary (to see trends), I'd also suggest less pre-packaged/processed foods such as the bars and pre-sweetened yogurts. That will help cut your carbs. I use full-fat plain greek yogurt with some berries & cinnamon added, and make my own fat bombs/trail mixes/jerky, if you need something quick to grab.
    [/quote]

What is a fat bombs?
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Come on guys.... Chicken rules protien.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Other than adding more meat I have found the non-low fat cottage cheese has a decent protein to carb ratio.

I use Daisy 4% milk fat cottage cheese.

Daisy Brand - Cottage Cheese 4% Milkfat, 1/2 cup

Calories 110
    Carbs 3 g
    Fat 5 g
    Protein 13 g
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Double that! ^ Also, you really can't go wrong with eggs and bacon or sausage in the morning. Fuller for longer, and packed with awesome protein! Add some spinach or chopped red pepper and you've got yourself a beautiful omelet or quiche!

And carbs from veggies are way better than anything you'll get from bread or potatoes (barring the occasional sweet potato).
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    pan scramblers are great. Fry up some bacon or sausage Chop and fry up any veggies of your choice. Whip up a couple of eggs and pour them in the pan with the meat and veggies. Scramble up and top with a little cheese. My kids love it and call it mom's lazy man omlette LOL
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Meat!! Or spirulina...
  • shelleycc
    shelleycc Posts: 49
    Options
    Let's not forget our handy little canned fishy friends. In particular, canned sardines and kipper snacks are jam-packed full of good protein and soaring in omega-3's.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

What is a fat bombs?
    [/quote]

You can google for different recipes, but here is a basic one:
    http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/fat-bombs.html

I typically use a base of equal parts almond butter:coconut oil/butter, then add in whatever I have/feel like: flax seeds, shredded coconut, coconut flour, almond flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon, etc. I've also used almond butter & cream cheese as the base, but then I need to keep it cold. You could also add bits of fruit or nuts, whatever you like! Or chocolate/cocoa powder. I've also added protein powder, if I want more protein.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am having a lot of trouble meeting my protein macro as well. I eat eggs and a meat for breakfast and a meat and veggie for dinner (lunch is typically leftovers from dinner). I was trying to limit my dairy intake but I do love cottage cheese for snacks, it's just not something I see being healthy to eat every day. I love chicken and beef jerky but the acceptable brands are too expensive to eat every day.

I've seen a lot of debate on protein powders and since it wasn't something I was very interested in, I just stayed away from it since it wasn’t really paleo (I treat myself to more enticing non-paleo foods! Ha). I’m wondering now if it might be worth a look. Or if 4% country style cottage cheese should go back on my grocery list. Yum. I also used to love vanilla greek yogurt which I know has a lot of protein, but again, is it worth it to add that much dairy back into my diet?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    meat, and more meat :happy: ...
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options

For some reason, I also find if I eat scrambled eggs, I'm not as full as when I eat fried.

I'm the opposite. When I eat scrambled eggs or omelettes, I get a little nauseated, but fried or boiled are just fine. Weird.