strength training for seniors

Options
I am a 60-year-old women and today is the day I will begin resistance and strenght training. I have recently had a bone density scan with great results and want to keep my bones strong and healthy into my future. I broke and sprain my ankle in February, after slipping on ice and taking quite a tumble, and now I am feeling better and able to walk short distances. I want to get back into a normal routine and begin with weight training.

How do I begin, without hurting myself or over working my muscles?

Replies

• Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry you didn't get any replies here and I hope you check back.

We have a similar history in terms of broken bones.

Will you be going to a gym?

For sure, you need to be gentle with the area around your ankle. Did you have some therapy advise? Hot -cold packs etc. along with gentle, very gentle stretching?

I use the machines at a gym

Woops, got a phone call. Need to run but I hope you will keep posting here because it is a conversation I am interested in keeping up.
  • abluebutton
    Options
    I'm 34 so not in your age bracket but probably equally "unlearned". A friend recommended I read "Starting Strength" by Rippetoe. I found helpful his instructions on how to actually do specific strength training movements and why do those ones. His experience seems to be mostly with high school boys, but in the forums of startingstrength.com there seem to be quite a few people 55+ doing the program.

I started the program in January and have found it very encouraging because it is so easy to see progress (more weight lifted) and feel progress, easier to carry around the mop bucket.

hope this helps
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is great information. Thanks for sharing! I will check it out.