Eating at TDEE...

Options
linski24
linski24 Posts: 155 Member
I have never had a week, since starting in January, of eating at TDEE.. The odd days but not a week .. Now due to me being a piggy on a couple of days this last week, there is only a difference of 250 between TDEE and calories eaten .. I think I may as well eat those 250 calories between today and tomorrow and call it my diet break ... I haven't stopped exercise tho hence my tdee staying at 2000..... I have done cv work x3 and weight lifted x3
Does this sound reasonable ... And also that iv averaged it over the week rather than doing tdee eating every day ..??
Thanks in advance
Lindsay x

Replies

• linski24
    Options
    No-one ..??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, the odd days of eating close to TDEE won't help much in resetting hormones like a longer diet break would.
    If it was post workout, then got great benefits from recovery.
    If it was a rest day, then got great fat storage probably, unless it was within 24 hrs of lifting and body still repairing.

It's really about eating in balance. For instance, extra 250 for 2 days now, and you had 2 days earlier in week with strong workout but not eating over - not really close enough for balance.

But compare the week of eating and days of exercise, see if indeed the higher days were exercise days (where your real TDEE would have been higher). You may have accomplished what you are thinking.

It may help, won't hurt for sure, especially if strong workout week and days.
  • linski24
    Options
    Thank you for your response :-)
  • liketobefit1001
    Options
    Ideally , of course its best to be around TDEE - Slightly less if you are trying to loose weight. This ensures the body's metabolic stress is minimum.
    So the averaging around TDEE is good as long as we do not deviate to extremes. For example one day eating 3000 and then next day 1500 would keep the average at 2000 but it calls for body's access mechanism of fat storage one day and then making overloaded demand on both liver and the whole metabolic cycle next day to convert back.
    This is creating a stress situation on body and if its done too aggressively potentially body can go to a shutdown mode loosing hunger for few days and a low feeling which is undesirable.
    Averaging around the level you set below TDEE but not deviating by more than 100 - 300 cals is more balanced and the metabolism is equable and smooth keeping the stress situation on the body to minimal.
    I agree balance is the key here.
    Having said that , we live in a practical world with not every situation is in our control.For example, it becomes very likely that we go over or under just because of our circumstances of the day..well what if your partner presents with you with the finest collection of Swiss chocolates after an European business trip..are you going to be strong and even heartless to just sniff them and let go..or rather perhpas share the pleasure with few or even many bites...smiles
    I think the one thing we can do on those situations are to realign our actions for next few days...like reducing calories or readjusting our excersie.Body has this wonderful mechanism to repair and better itself ..when we corporate it more the body helps us back,I feel.

Just a quick note that you mentioned..you are doing weight training .I had a quick look at your diet profile ...your protein seems to be regularly less than target..is that something you planned or may be missing out?..because weight training is obviously building the lean mass constantly and it will be good to have the protein supply up to the level.
    Hope it helps.
    take care
    Sid x
  • linski24
    Options
    Hi Sid :-)
    Thanks fir the reply ... You have explained it all so eloquently :-)
    I read it twice after a busy shift and it has sunk in :-)
    I am not hitting my protein targets as I'm struggling to fit it in ..!! I try and even make protein shakes ..!
  • liketobefit1001
    Options
    I know its eaily missed Lindsay. .we all do it. Dont blaim yourself. Busy spells of life can just can take over.

Protien shakes are good idea.

You are commited I find so you will get it right. And I can give you an occational nudge if you are going too under.Smiles.