Key predictors and behaviors associated with maintenance

Options
4ahealthybmi
4ahealthybmi Posts: 18 Member
You guys might like this article by the folks at the National Weight Control Registry, who research what it is that successful maintainers DO, in order to keep the weight off:

http://www.rimed.org/medhealthri/2009-02/2009-02-53.pdf

In summary:

Here are the best predictors of keeping weight off:

1. Longer duration of weight loss maintenance (more than 2 years)
2. Dietary consistency
3. Less fast food consumption
4. Less TV viewing
5. More frequent breakfast consumption
6. Lower levels of depressive symptoms and dis-inhibited eating

Key behaviors associated with weight maintenance are:

1. Activity levels of over 200 minutes per week (at least for women in the cited study)
2. High levels of dietary restraint, such as:
- Deliberately taking small helpings
- Avoiding certain foods
- Counting calories
3. Having lower levels of depressive symptomology
4. Controlling overeating

:-)

It's important to note that these are the behaviors and predictors most frequently associated with maintenance. It doesn't mean that all successful maintainers do all of them, or that someone can't succeed using different strategies. These are just the most common ones.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just watched you on the Today show. You are awesome! I have total faith you can keep it off. I know in the past the times I put it back on was when I stop walking so you have your love of kayaking so you will be fine. Thanks for the maintenance info too.
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!

I'm a month shy of my 2 year anniversary of hitting goal weight and do most of the things on the list... Pretty sure that I am going to keep the weight off this time also cuz I found a LOVE of racewalking! Kayaking is on my list of things to try -- think it's another thing that I would totally love (I love the water).
  • 4ahealthybmi
    4ahealthybmi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, you guys!

For me I just try and take it day by day, and keep small achievable goals in front of me....

More than that is hard to contemplate. :huh: