Anyone training for their first Marathon this year?

Options
Suzmp85
Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
I am currently training for my first ever 25K thats in 8 weeks. I'm currently at my 10th mile. I ran a half Marathon before but got injured afterwards with my back and had to take some time off. Now I'm back in full swing. If everything goes well after my 25K, I plan to continue training for my first Marathon in October. I'm currently looking for advice, maybe some support from friends that is currently training and/or has ran one before. I'm also overwhelmed by the long miles to come sometimes. Taking it one day and one mile at a time is the best thing I can do. :)

Replies

• pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I did my first last November and plan to run that same race again this year. the best advice I got last year as I was training was that the goal for the first is to finish. You can train for specific finish times but many things can go off track, and remember, so few people tackle that distance that finishing on it's own is a significant accomplishment.

The longest run of the training plan I did was 1 20-mile run (it was one developed by a run club). I've talked to other marathoners who suggest going a little further (22 miles) and trying to schedule at least 2 of those runs. That is my plan in training this year.

As you increase your distance, don't get discouraged if you have at least one terrible training run! 18 miles was great for me, but I really struggled in the 20 miler. The emotions that came through that run really did help on race day!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the commitment. Finishing is an incredible accomplishment and you will finish!

There is an old adage that finishing a marathon is easy, you just have to survive the training. There is a degree of truth to that. You need to take care of your IT bands and your glutes (I can give you suggestions if you need them). I'd also suggest you get and use a foam roll.

I do not personally subscribe to needing to do more than 20 miles in training, but that is just me and does not make me right (as my wife will attest <g>). Feel free to add me or message with any questions along the journey
  • JulesX1982
    JulesX1982 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon right now which is in June and then I plan on training for my first full marathon in October! I am following Hal Higdon's intermediate program for the half and his Novice 2 for my full marathon.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do my first full in January of 2014. I did a half this February and I will do another half this fall. I also used Hal Higdon's Intermediate program for my half and I'll use Intermediate 1 for my full. I love having running friends on MFP so add me if you like! :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi Suz..I am in training for my first Marathon in May..congrats on making the commitment for 26.2

I am learning all kinds of things about running since I started my training. I am following Hal Higdon's novice 2 plan, but am nursing a minor injury right now, so I'll have to modify my training so I am healthy on race day.

Good luck and please feel free to add me..anyone!
  • kadmommy
    kadmommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first full in the fall, too. Done several halfs and will do a couple more during the spring and summer. I've looked up Hal Higdon's Novice 2 as well, and it looks like a decent, moderate plan. IT Band and subsequent achilles problems sidelined me for all of 2012, but back up to my 22-28 miles a week and sooooo happy to be back in my running shoes. (Now if I could just figure out the right way to shed the 10+ lbs I put on while injured it'd be all good. Can't seem to get my nutrition and burn to cooperate one little bit!! Maybe that's a topic for another thread, but if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I started running last fall. After running my first 5k last December, in Januart I ran my first 10k and half marathon. My first full marathon will be in October. I will also be following the Hal Higdon plan
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was training for my first full last year. During my 12 miler I started having bad knee pain, which I came to find out was due to IT Band Syndrome. I went through PT but still had to drop out :( Right now I'm working my way through recovery and will hopefully be doing one in the fall!
  • maggiet63
    maggiet63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I have on and off probs with knees over the years I have been running. I know its down to not being consistent with my weight training - keeping my legs strong and my core and of course stretching. I go all out for a few months - loose the will to keep going to the gym and then thats when my knees start playing up.
    I found this last year I have started going back to basics. Starting my weekly mileage of 12 miles and dividing up to 3 days running and having patience with my mileage only increasing it one mile a week (picking the one which is gonna be your long day run) When I feel the knees going - I half the weekly mileage by running only 0.5 mile for my long run and add 0.5 to another day. so keeping to my weekly mileage plan and not loosing the goal.
    I found the more days I ran the more chance the knee's went. I also cross train on my bike one day and go for a long hike on another weather permitting and if home life permits - and ofcourse the gym is boring I know and time consuming but essential.
    The fear I have of the knee's going gets me down but so far it is working.
    use the advise the PT gave and start doing light weights at first and build it up weekly.
    I also know a big part to play is my weight - I hope this website is the answer to my prayers as I would love to do a marathon and admire you going for it.
    I am training for a half marathon and hope to God I just manage to complete it with out my knees going - thats my goal.
    Good luck and hope this helps as I feel your pain! ( they are twitching as I type this - they know they are being talked about) lol x
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Congrats on training for your first marathon. I ran my first last May and followed Hal Higdon's Novice plan. Good luck :)
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    Congrats on taking the leap! I also am setting myself up for running my first full in October. :)
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first marathon in May! Feel free to friend me for motivation/support. I also eat paleo and my diary is open. You are awesome to commit to this task!!! Never give up and keep up with the training!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first marathon in June of this year. I ran my first half marathon last November and my second half marathon last weekend. I will be starting my first 14 mile run this weekend. I am using Hal Higdon's novice 2 plan.

Wishing you luck on your first marathon.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am running the BCS Marathon down in College Station, Texas, in December and hope to run two halves this year. I have not selected a race for that yet, but I will be running the 10Mi in Greenville, MS in May.

ETA: Waiting to see what happens with the cutbacks before I commit to an event. Every one I am finding seems to involve travel and hotel.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I am running the BCS Marathon down in College Station, Texas, in December and hope to run two halves this year. I have not selected a race for that yet, but I will be running the 10Mi in Greenville, MS in May.

ETA: Waiting to see what happens with the cutbacks before I commit to an event. Every one I am finding seems to involve travel and hotel.

I might run the BCS Marathon too. Nothing but positive feedback from the event this past year. My first marathon will be this year at the end of IMTX.
  • SarahRruns
    SarahRruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I started running last summer and I am now training for my first marathon in early June. I bought the book "The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer" and it's great. It has a training plan and lots of positive attitude. So far it has motivated me A LOT, but I'm in a bit of a motivational crisis at the moment, as college is pretty intense.

If you'd like to, feel free to friend me!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I might run the BCS Marathon too. Nothing but positive feedback from the event this past year. My first marathon will be this year at the end of IMTX.

Yes, the feedback you read/heard was all true! I think the only gripe was that the port-a-potty doors at the starting line faced the corrals and when the start was buzzed, all the doors flew open at the same time. It was (almost) hilarious! They promised next time to have them turned around. :laugh:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so. Did two halfs last year, so want to step up to a full. I will go as far as injuries allow.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup. I live in Australia, and I'm doing the Perth City to Surf marathon in August.

I'm going to lodge an application to do the NYC marathon in November, but that's a matter of luck since it seems to basically be a lottery for entry. And flying from Australia to the US just to run a race is an expensive prospect, so not booking anything until my application gets up (or not).

I'm not doing any specific training program for the marathon, just doing my own thing and running daily. I like to think I'm doing pretty well with my distance and time at this point. I've done a couple of half marathons already and been happy with my results. I think at first I started on this path just so I could prove to myself that I could run a marathon. But in reality, I have a competitive streak a mile wide, and it's not just about finishing anymore. I actually want to post a decent time, so I'm aiming to finish in under 4 hours. We'll see how I go.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lodge an application to do the NYC marathon in November, but that's a matter of luck since it seems to basically be a lottery for entry. And flying from Australia to the US just to run a race is an expensive prospect, so not booking anything until my application gets up (or not).

Yeah, there were an awful lot of grouchy people when it was cancelled so last minute last year.